You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #21

22 - UK.

Scary. I once knew an R Lacey at my high school, same year. Is that your real name, RLacey?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #22

I'll be 24 in just over a month's time. I started playing adventure games in the mid-1990s (Myst was my first), so I missed out on quite a few of the 'classics' from the late 80s and early 90s. I only just played the first two Broken Sword games a couple of weeks ago!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #23

I'm 23 and started playing adventure games in the early 90s. I think I started with Maniac Mansion or The Colonel's Bequest. Good times. Only one of my friends is an adventure game fan and I don't think they've played one for a long while. My sister (25) loves adventure games too which is great, but my brother (24) who loved adventures growing up has moved onto FPS and hasn't looked back. (Although he sometimes gets nostalgic about Sierra and LucasArts classics.) I don't exclusively play adventures either. I like pretty much any game that is immersive and has a strong story. (BioShock, System Shock 2, Psychonauts, Mass Effect and KotOR being some recent favourites.)

As other genres have evolved they've most definately picked up some adventure traits.

Last edited by D.C.; 03-30-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #24
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

I'm 24. I've been playing adventure games since I got a PC back in 1992, and I've never actually met a fan of the genre (not online, I mean). I'm currently living in Uruguay, though I've lived in several countries, and at the most I've been able to get some recognition from people when naming Monkey Island or King's Quest.

My sister has played a couple of adventure games (Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, 7th Guest, Blackstone Chronicles... and that's about it), but she not really into computer games. My niece on the other hand loves games, she spends hours playing free java-based online games and constantly asks me to let her play my games. I installed EcoQuest for her and we played a bit, she enjoyed it, although she doesn't understand English all that much (she's only 4 by the way).

I've played a whole lot of Adventures, particularly from the late 80's up to a couple of years ago. I haven't been able to keep up with recent releases since moving back to Uruguay. Never tried IF's, but I won some of Infocom's games on Bastich's last trivia tournament so I plan to give them a try eventually.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #25

I'm 22 and I've been playing adventure games since I was at least 7. I'm an introvert yes.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #26
3rd person fanatic :)

I'm 25
Old 03-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #27
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
22 - UK.

Scary. I once knew an R Lacey at my high school, same year. Is that your real name, RLacey?
I think I'd have to ask what your high school was...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #28
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Congratulations Fienepien!
Thanks, Jelena!

Gonchi:
Quote:
Never tried IF's, but I won some of Infocom's games on Bastich's last trivia tournament so I plan to give them a try eventually.
I've probably said it a thousand times before, and I also know IF is not for everybody, but the Infocom game Trinity by Brian Moriarty is a masterpiece.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #29

I'm a woman of 76 years old. I've been playing adventure games since 1985 and never stopped loving them.

I think it is sad that some TV programs here in Sweden that deals with what they call video gaming, never talks about adventure games. If there was more written and talked about them in television and other media, I'm sure more people would play them. I mean, how could they resist?

I'm currently playing The Lost Crown, Nostradamus and Sherlock Holmes vs Arsène Lupin. When there is a dry season for adventure games I play Hidden Objetcs game to tie me over until a new AG appears on the horizon.

I had a friend 10 years younger than me, who also played AG, but she has stopped playing them. So it is a lonely passion I have.

Some favorites over the years are Gabriel Knight, Tex Murphy and the Ultima Series.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #30

I'm 22 and female, been playing since I was about 7, (Kings Quest and the Black Cauldron) I don't really know HOW, since english isn't my native tounge, but there you go.

I am the only girl I know who play computer games, except for my sister and whenever I have a conversation with a guy, and the subject (SOMEhow) turns to gaming, they say I'm the only girl they've met, who plays. Very strange. Or maybe I'M the strange one!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:46 AM   #31
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maivor View Post
I'm a woman of 76 years old. I've been playing adventure games since 1985 and never stopped loving them.
OMG! You 're a legend adventurer,playing ags over 23 years and just posted 3 times,you should post once aday atleast.sure you can share more with community due to your my life time gaming experience.
For me ag long gone i dont remember the last new ag I've finished in past year.(probably a Sam&Max)
I was really enjoying the genre between years 96-02 but then all years past and ag had nothing new to offer,transition to 3d taking awful long and copycat titles flowing on market, so hard to expect something exciting from ags today but we'll see..

Last edited by Gabe; 03-31-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 AM   #32

Default 30

I'm 30 and I really started playing with the best AG: The Secret of Monkey Island. I will be 31 next April.

It was incredible what characters made from a few pixels could transmit. I was amazed by the lenght, development and fun of the storyline. I think I was expecting too much from AG since then, as I found most games after MI aren't as good even if they have better graphics.

I live in Chile now, but I was living in Brasil in the beginning of the 90's when I started playing adventure games. I enjoyed playing in my Amiga 500. I consider my self somewhat introverted, but I also have a social life. After that I got the PC and could play a lot of other AG that weren't available for the Amiga like Day of the Tentacle and later Grim Fandango.

I also must say that adventure games is one of the reasons why I can speak fluid English. I don't know any adventure gamer here in Chile and I don't know if it is a coincidence but most people here don't speak English. Who say games can't be educative? Also I think that AG helps develop other thinking abilities beyond pressing buttons like in action games.

I am really a fan of old Lucasarts games like MI, MI 2, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Indy & the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle. Never got in Sierra games really, but I enjoyed Space Quest V and consider it one of the funniest games ever.

What I am enjoying now mostly is Sam and Max episodes. It's made by some of the most talented adventure creators out there. It has cool puzzles, is incredibly funny, looks great and is showing that the genre is still very much alive.

I also play all kind of games and if they have good storyline and characters all the better. I enjoyed or I'm still enjoying Bioshock, Half-Life 2, KOTOR, Civilization 4, The Sims 2, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Audiosurf, Portal... There's quite a few great games out there to enjoy while we wait for adventure games.

The only thing that puts me down a bit is the fact that Lucasarts pretty much abandoned the genre.

I really expect that adventures come reborn, making full use of the new technologies and with new storytelling techniques. I think that while not only adventure Mass Effect is a good example of great storytelling and how good the future can be for adventure games.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 AM   #33

I'm 23 and have been playing Adventure Games since I was five. My first few were 'Granny's Garden', 'Where's Baby Bear', and then 'Leisure Suit Larry'. Bit of a jump there!

It's seems that we've all discovered Adventure Games through family, friends, or by accident. I guess it's because they've never been advertised. Not that I've seen anyway?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:58 AM   #34
Caffein Queen

@AlleyCat
Quote:
I am the only girl I know who play computer games, except for my sister and whenever I have a conversation with a guy, and the subject (SOMEhow) turns to gaming, they say I'm the only girl they've met, who plays. Very strange. Or maybe I'M the strange one!
Your nickname sounds familiar somehow to me.
I remember meeting a girl in a train here, who played Neopets with that nickname. That shouldn't by any chance be you?

Now Playing: World Of Warcraft (US)
Recently Finished: Too many Casual games
Waiting for: Lost Horizon + Gray Matter
Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #35

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

I am 27 Years and have started playing games when I was just 10 - 12 years old. I have built up a great collection of over 400 games for PC and PS.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #36

I'm 123 years old i have started playing ags from 1940 2nd world war.Now i still play games from the grave.Ohhh god please cut the crap some of you
Old 03-31-2008, 11:49 AM   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoflight7 View Post
I'm 123 years old i have started playing ags from 1940 2nd world war.Now i still play games from the grave.Ohhh god please cut the crap some of you
This was uncalled for. No one is forcing you to read the thread if you don't like it, but you won't tell people to cut the crap when they are posting sincerely.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #38
Backsliding Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoflight7 View Post
So many replies leap to mind, but what a waste of grammar that would be.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #39
Adventurer

I'm 19 and have nursed my passion for adventure games for well over 10 years now.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #40
Codger

Turned 60 this past October 4th. Been playing adventures forever.

Although I probably try to play more golf than adventure games these days.

Last edited by rtrooney; 03-31-2008 at 04:36 PM.