You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Overclocked/Has anyone played it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #81
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh View Post
Are you sure there was a
Spoiler:
video of somone deliberately pouring the blood!?
I don't remember anything like that, how is it triggered?
No, I'm not sure. That's the reason I added a question mark.
Spoiler:
I remember a video about the shooting though. It seemed reasonable to conclude that the blood was deliberate as well. The videos were at the end of the game.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:23 AM   #82

I have just finished the game yesterday and what can I say… No fireworks or enthusiasm outbursts…

However the game itself is very pleasant to play, not very difficult but with some minot trigger issues.
The atmosphere of paranioa and hostility of environment is similar to Moment of Silence, maybe more depressing. The story is quite compelling, at least at the begginig, when everything is mystery and unveliling it despite resistance becomes a challenge.

I cannot refrain from commenting the "vices" some people attach to the game. Oh my, David wears the same clothes every day and Dr Young's voice resembles zombie… Well Gabriel Knigt as I recall never brushed his teeth either and we could not be sure if he changed his underwear after shower. Why would such a thing prevent me from enjoying a game?

For me the reason why Overclocked is not the best game ever is the fact it is short and the ending is rather obvious from the beginning - so the plot related reasons, not esthetic. But it is a quite good game worth its price - about 10 EUR in Poland.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
That being the case have you ever played Atlantis: Evolution? That was my first adventure game I played after I had not played them in a while...
No, I didn´t play A:E, but I kind of agreed to disagree with the majority of gamers about games like Siberia and S(t)inking Island (that I didn´t like at all) on one hand and Art of Murder and Overclock (that I enjoyed quite a lot) on the other.

And hello KasiaD, nice to see a neighbour Slavonian around here
Old 06-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
I cannot refrain from commenting the "vices" some people attach to the game. Oh my, David wears the same clothes every day and Dr Young's voice resembles zombie… Well Gabriel Knigt as I recall never brushed his teeth either and we could not be sure if he changed his underwear after shower. Why would such a thing prevent me from enjoying a game?
Not to mention that the bartender didn't hold the bottle exactly above the glass....

Seriously though...it seems to me a lot of people are unfairly bashing this game. I think that whatever flaws this game had it's infinitely better than 90% of adventure games that came out this year.
I think that people, when they don't like a game that has received a lot of positive feedback and reviews, tend to exaggerate about its shortcomings.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #85

Seriously though...it seems to me a lot of people are unfairly bashing this game.

Yeah, and that's why I would like to mention, in case if Martin Ganteföhr is reading this, that I adored the game and I think it's one of the better adventure games of this decade. In fact, it's quite good for the previous decade also. Even Grim Fandango wasn't faultless. We need more these kinds of stories. Enough with those historical pulp mysteries.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #86
Dungeon Master

Quote:
But it is a quite good game worth its price - about 10 EUR in Poland.
Has the price been reduced already? Last time I checked it was still 80 PLN = about 20 EUR in stores.

(And welcome to the Forum. )
Old 06-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #87

I played this last month and really enjoyed it. I thought the way it unfolded, through flashbacks, was really unique. One of the better adventure games in recent years, IMO.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #88
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Seriously though...it seems to me a lot of people are unfairly bashing this game. I think that whatever flaws this game had it's infinitely better than 90% of adventure games that came out this year.
I think that people, when they don't like a game that has received a lot of positive feedback and reviews, tend to exaggerate about its shortcomings.
I somewhat agree. If I had never heard of Overclocked, saw it in a store, and bought it on a whim, I would have been pleasantly surprised. It's not a bad game. Maybe it is better than 90% of other adventure games that came out this year, at least if you count Sam and Max season 2 as one game.

The thing is, that the 90% figure means little to nothing since it's so rare that a brilliant adventure game comes out. Top 10% when every game is mediocre does not make it good. Anyway, in my opinion it's an average game in every regard except quality of graphics. It's certainly worth playing if you've run out of good adventure games to play and are starved for more, but I find it hard to recommend. For people who are new to the genre, there are better games out there. For veterans, it lacks something to make it stand out.

I agree that the bashing is unjustified. There are worse games out there that deserve the attention more. :p A lot of people play games based on hype level, though, so it's easy to understand the disappointment when Overclocked didn't turn out as good as people hoped.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #89

Perphaps people looking for advice whether to buy the game here on the forum would have the wrong impression that the game is weak. It is, comparing it to all time classics and favourite games ever. But If I look at the games I recently had contact with, Belief & Betrayal, Jack Keane and Reprobates, I must conclude That Oveclocked is a brilliant game comparing it to them, unbelievingly good, even. The other games annoyed me all the time with lame dialogues (B&B), failed attemts to be funny (JK) and last but not least manually impossible to perform timed sequences (Reprobates - there should be a warning on the box or something).

And hi all the guys that welcomed me to the forum I am very honoured

I also checked and am in shock because the game is vitually two times more expensive in shops than online - I bought it for 39.90 PLN (10 EUR), all new and packed, on the polish "ebay" - allegro.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 AM   #90
Dungeon Master

Ah yes, Allegro is a different matter. I would be surprised if any game distributed by Nicolas Games got an official price reduction so soon. They usually start out overpriced and don't seem to get cheaper until they land on a magazine's cover CD after a ridiculously short time (see: Daemonica, Undercover, etc.).
Old 06-05-2008, 06:46 AM   #91

At least your magazines put the good stuff on their CDs. Here (when I still used to buy gaming magazines) they usually put the "abandonware" on it...
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #92

Yeah but you have awesome and cheap beer - that should be compensation enough
Old 06-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #93

Quote:
Yeah but you have awesome and cheap beer - that should be compensation enough
You just scored a 100 out of possible 100 points for killer answer
But with the comming of EURO the prices of beer will probably rise
Old 06-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #94

Default Thoughts on the ending

Long time lurker, but I had to post with a question about the ending. I just finished the game, and it seemed to me that

Spoiler:
when David's wife approaches him at the end, the camera pans over and we see a police car following her. Does this indicate that she has alerted the authorities to his violent meltdown and he is about to be arrested? Maybe not the happy ending IGN cites.

Just a thought.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #95
Super Moderator

Welcome to AG! Glad you put yourself in de-lurk mode.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #96

Good fun, but at the same time a hugely frustrating game for two reasons:

1) - there wasn't enough direction where to go next. I'd normally check a walk through to see which patient I had to speak to next and figure out the recording myself. Some of them were obvious but some weren't.

2) - relatedly, it could have been so good. The 'playing back recordings' thing was the central mechanic of the game, and where at least 50% of the playtime and puzzles came from, but it was implemented horribly badly. Had they taken the time out to design a proprietary interface for the recordings and recollections you get it could have been so much better. Imagine having a timeline in 5 parts, with the recordings appearing at the correct points in time as you uncover the story, perhaps allowing David to draw connections (actual coloured lines between each) - basically making uncovering the memories and the story a mini-game in and of itself, a meta-puzzle of it's own (think: Le Serpent Rouge).
Using recordings to trigger memories is a great, great concept for an adventure game, but it was shoe-horned into the typical point and click interface when it really needed something new to truly define it as it's own thing. Had they done that, the game would have been awesome.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #97
aye, aye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweinhundert View Post
Long time lurker, but I had to post with a question about the ending. I just finished the game, and it seemed to me that

Spoiler:
when David's wife approaches him at the end, the camera pans over and we see a police car following her. Does this indicate that she has alerted the authorities to his violent meltdown and he is about to be arrested? Maybe not the happy ending IGN cites.

Just a thought.
Ah, I've never thought about that! I just thought

Spoiler:
She came back because she decided she wanted to be with him. (And WHY the heck did she want to do that though? He was friggin' scary!)

I also thought that it was just the military/government searching for him?

I have a few questions also--
Spoiler:

WHO closed his account if it wasn't his wife, and why? The military/government? Just to make him go insane?
Also... the ending indicates that only his senses and mind is left... And as you only see his eye, does that mean he's in a coma or something?

Or did the cops just pick him up and put him in prison, so he's sitting there and philosophing?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:44 AM   #98

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

I also wondered at the ending.

Anyone else think that Terry was one of the most smug self righteous characters in the game that you would just like to punch?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #99

Finished it just now, thanks again to VOLKANA who helped me out with a savegame, overall I liked it.

Some of the puzzles were a little too easy, and I agree though that the PDA did little but annoy the player.

Later puzzles were frustrating because:
Spoiler:
When you lose your PDA and then have to remember various clues the character said: the exact point when your PDA might be a useful aid to the puzzle, you don't have access to it.

Really doesn't make a lot of sense. A few of the puzzles, like the simple physics and timing puzzles, were briefly touched upon and its sad they didn't really do more with that mechanic.

That being said, despite the weak puzzles, the story and atmosphere was enough to keep me hooked.
Spoiler:
Seeing McNamara break down and everyone get paranoid and suspicious of you was interesting.
Could have been acted better but I've suffered through far worse.

The plot has some stupid in it though:
Spoiler:
The whole government conspiracy plotline is so overdone, and the video games = MURDER SIMULATORS was pretty wtf. I was hoping for more interpersonal drama with the kids, ie. an explination on why girl in cell #2 killed herself (although I'm pretty sure were to assume Dr. Young killed her).

Other cool bits including your relationship with Stryker and seeing the car outside the hotel getting destroyed was pretty funny.

Anyway cool game, looking forward to more from the developers.

Oh BTW, if you want a funny take on Moment of Silence, take a look at this thread
Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzner View Post
Other cool bits including your relationship with Stryker and seeing the car outside the hotel getting destroyed was pretty funny.
How do you pull that off?