You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Recommendations for a Newbie?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Default Recommendations for a Newbie?

I am new to adventure games, and I am just trying to dig a little deeper.

So far I have played through

Post Mortem
Still Life
The Longest Journey
Dreamfall

I am a sucker for good female leads, and that often can make a break a game for me. I just want a new game to test the waters with, I love the stories these games tell.

I am going to go sift around the reviews now! ^_^
Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
handsome

Well, there's Syberia, it's quite a good game. Didn't liked the 2nd one though.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I suggest the Gabriel Knight trilogy, which - in its second and third chapter - features Grace Nakimura as a second playable character.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #4

Gabriel Knight might be a little beyond my tolerance level graphic wise. If its not pretty I have a hard time sitting through it.

But Syberia looks pretty good. I might go out and buy it this afternoon.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Coktel Vision Fan!

I suggest any Broken Sword game, classic easy titles, with nice graphics & awesome plots. Nicole plays almost a lead role in Sleeping Dragon (BS3).
Angel of Death (BS4) looks nice too, although i haven't played it through yet.
Anyway BS1&2 if you like 2d hand drawn graphics or BS3&4 if you prefer 3d graphics.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

Well, I wouldn't consider the Gabriel Knight games as being "not pretty;" they're just older. The stories though are very cool; Jane Jensen is awesome.

You could try A Vampyre Story, although that is cartoony graphic-wise. "So Blonde" also has a female lead and is also cartoony.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #7

To be honest I'd stay clear of Broken Sword 4 just yet until you're more familiar with the series. As a stand-alone game it's pretty poor.

Definitely Broken Sword 1 if you're into nice 2D graphics. If not, Syberia does seem to fit your criteria quite well. I also hear Overclocked is a good game, if you're into darker themes like in Post Mortem and Still Life.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I suggest the Gabriel Knight trilogy, which - in its second and third chapter - features Grace Nakimura as a second playable character.
I absolutely second that! You won't find a better adventure games series out there.

Judgding an adventure game on how 'pretty' it is seems pretty shallow to me. After all, isn't the storyline and puzzles what matters the most in these games?
Besides, the Gabriel Knight games (the first two anyway) look look pretty good in my opinion. Sure, the video quality in GK2 leaves something to be desired but it looks more than good enough.. you'll forget all about the video quality within minutes of playing as the storyline will engross you more and more.

Also, by judging adventure games by their graphics, you're missing out on the best in the genre.
Sure, certain new adventure games are good, but the vast majority of real adventure games classics are old.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #9

Rex Nebular, I love your image! Haven't played Gobliiins in forever.

Anyway, I don't know if I'd call it shallow to not want to play a game based on the graphics; they're just as much a part of the experience as the story or puzzles (albeit probably a smaller part). I mean, I couldn't make myself play a text-only adventure game.

RealEmotionX, does it have to be a female lead? However sad it is, these seem to be few and far between. Can they be older games (1990's, etc) or do you want to stick to something more recent?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbrefrio View Post
RealEmotionX, does it have to be a female lead? However sad it is, these seem to be few and far between.
Oh, oh, here we go again. I can't find it off hand, but the "Why only men?" thread a while back put the lie to this statement. There almost seems to be far more female leads than male.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #11
Adventure Addict

Another vote here for Syberia. It's definitely one of my favorites. I also liked the sequel a lot.

Female lead role in it too.