You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Overclocked/Has anyone played it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #61

I wouldn't read that review if you are planning to play the game, it gives too much away.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #62
Psychonaut

I bought the game at the weekend and so far it is annoying me more than entertaining me.

Maybe i'm just in a nit-picking mood, but the unbearably slow loading of cutscenes is bloody annoying.

I'm also finding the graphics a disappointment. (Probably due to budget) For example while drinking in the bar, the bottle goes nowhere near the glass and David just lifts the glass to about a foot away from his mouth and somehow managed to drink without touching his lips. Bloody sloppy.

I hope the story is worth it.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #63

I didn't think the story was worth it. I found the main plot line terribly predictible . I think the secondary plotline of David's personal history was intended to flush it out and give it more dimension, but the clumsy graphics, crappy voice acting and exagerrated mood swings made it impossible for me to feel any kind of attachment to the character or interest in his fate. The only emotion this game provoked in me was the pang of my dashed expectations.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddi View Post
I didn't think the story was worth it. I found the main plot line terribly predictible . I think the secondary plotline of David's personal history was intended to flush it out and give it more dimension, but the clumsy graphics, crappy voice acting and exagerrated mood swings made it impossible for me to feel any kind of attachment to the character or interest in his fate. The only emotion this game provoked in me was the pang of my dashed expectations.
So basically what you're saying is that is a bad adventure with bad graphics, bad storyline and bad voice acting....
I understand that maybe it's not your kind of game or you were disappointed because of your high expectations but I think you're exaggerating. Especially the voice acting was excellent. I won't say that the story was extremely unpredictable but at least it was well executed and with very good dialog that didn't make you roll your eyes with stupid lines like 90% of recent adventure games do. I also found the graphics to be just fine.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #65

I'm digging the game ever so slightly, because it sorts of reminds me of "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream," though I definitely prefer that game.

I suppose I like the concept of coaxing the patients into working backwards to piece together what happened to them, but the location of the scenario that you play through lacks atmosphere for me, especially compared to the present city area. Frankly, it's a bit dull.

Character models and textures are well done, but about 90% of the animation is awful. I would've liked to see more attention to detail in that department for sure.

I don't feel the voice-acting is anywhere near "excellent" myself, but of course, that's mostly subjective. The game is decent enough for me to play the game all the way through, but as the first adventure game I've bought in quite a while... it leaves something to be desired.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #66

There's a lot of ways that voice acting can be bad. Although the voice clips in Overclocked sounded more or less professional, they failed to convey the appropriate emotions - one sentence would be in a conversational tone, and the next full of anger and invective without a suitable transition. Several times it was stated that David was angry or yelling, but his voice sounded exactly the same to me. Even if it had been brilliantly acted, it still would have been difficult to create the sense of rising the tension that the game seems to depend on, how am I supposed to believe in David's fit of anger when the conversation closes with "have a nice day" or "see ya?"
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #67

Spoiler:
Why would someone say that flashlight could be used as a good weapon and put gun instead of it to ventilator?

Last edited by Melanie68; 05-08-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags b/c it seemed like a puzzle solution.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #68

I definitely agree with whoever said they enjoyed the later parts of the game more so than the first chapter or two. In the end, I actually do feel this is an all right game, but yeah, these guys definitely should check out some animation tutorials or take a class, because that aspect was awful. I've taken an intro to animation class at my University, and I can say that our stuff outclassed what I've seen in this game.

I have to disagree with the person who claimed that the ending tied up all loose ends, because I still don't know....

Spoiler:

Why/how the girl in cell 2 killed herself.

Where that huge puddle of blood came from in one of the flashbacks (the person having the flashback even intuited that whoever the blood came from had likely died -- so who was it?). If it was coming from the girl from cell 2's room like I think it might have been, then perhaps it was just some foreshadowing, but still...

Don't know what the guy walking through the corridor, shooting at the rooms was about -- was it the guy in cell 5, being that he was the only one who had access to the armory?

Last edited by Putrid Moldyman; 05-10-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #69
Senior *female* member

I don't know the answer to the first question, wondered about that myself, but
Spoiler:
the blood and the shooting guy were all part of the set-up by the baddies, to create fear and confusion. Wasn't there some video of the blood-pouring and the shooting?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #70

Just finished the game a week ago. All what I can say is that the game was boring and too slow despite interesting plot. It can be compared to Indigo Prophecy aka Fahrenheit which is much much better and I still enjoy playing it. Overclocked is kind of one-night-stand
Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #71

I played quite a lot of Overclocked, and what made me finally give up on it was the painfully repetitive nature of puzzle 'solving', i.e. playing audio clips over and over to trigger new events is just not my idea of fun at all.

I loved the graphics, the scenery backdrops were fantastic. The voice-acting was okay except they seemed in a terrible hurry to go from one actor to the next so it sounded like they were just reeling stuff (they weren't, but the editing makes it sound like they were).

IMO it's a story desperately seeking a game to go along with it. The story is interesting, but not enough to make up for the very dull nature of the puzzle solving. Missed opportunity really.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #72
Banned User

Just finished the game (and decided to give my view). To say this game is medicore is absurd. The game engine and the graphics are the best this genre has to offer. Medicore might be the word if you compare Overclocked to all the game genres but then again, why would you do that? It's no secret that adventure games aren't made with the latest technology, the graphics will probably never be on FPS-games' level.

I had my expectations very high for this game after finishing The Moment of Silence. MoS is still one of my favorite games ever. But in the end I was dissapointed. The story is great. But the way it was transformed to an interactive story was dull. Indeed, I got so bored with the game I ended up using a walkthrough to get it over faster, hoping for an exciting ending, at least. Didn't happen.

I would recommend this game to people who aren't familiar with "dark themed" adventures but this really doesn't live up to the expectations people had after MoS.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #73
Dreamfall Soon!

Just finished the game today. Perhaps because I read a lot of the reviews on this forum so I actually had a low expectation for the game but I found it pretty enjoyable. Best adventure game ever? Certainly not but not as bad as most here seemed to think it was.

I agree that some of the animations were poorly done, some of the voice acting could have used some work, the ending was a bit predictable and there were some inconsistencies.

However, I liked the format of the game as it kept me intrigued by piecing things together. I thought the art, overall, was well done and I played it through and the dialogue (while not always well voiced) was well written.

I think I agree most with the reviewer on this forum.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #74

Okay, I quite liked this game, but - as others have mentioned - there were several frustrating sections where certain triggers had to be hit before you could carry out perfectly reasonable actions.

There were quite a few plot holes too - at least in my playthrough. It felt like I'd somehow missed a chapter that tied some of the disjointed sections together, even to the point where the protagonist mentioned something that I'd not actually come across myself.

The simple puzzles did help the story move along and I didn't come to a complete halt at any point.

Music was great.

Voice acting: It's the same bunch from - amongst others - MoS and Ankh again, isn't it. The main character's actor is brilliant again, with real gravity in his performance... although it was hacked up in the edit, going from perfectly calm to furious within less than a breath at points.

Pretty much the rest of the cast should get other jobs, seriously. Particularly the guy who plays Flynn - I'd like to make it official that I have a personal vendetta against him. As with his characters in MoS - eg. the news stand guy and the fat bloke at the office - and the Pharaoh in Ankh, he successfully manages to put the wrong intonation on just about every line he has... and yet he continues to get work.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #75

I received a tip on another forum that significantly cut down on loading times with Overclocked:

Find the file on the DVD called resource.200 and copy and paste it into your Overclocked game folder.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #76
Thats the ticket

I still can't get over a game being called "Overclocked". Surely they could've come up with a sexier title?
Old 05-28-2008, 03:06 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian View Post
I received a tip on another forum that significantly cut down on loading times with Overclocked:

Find the file on the DVD called resource.200 and copy and paste it into your Overclocked game folder.
I believe the tip was given on this forum as well

Anyway here´s my 2 cp. on Overclocked: I realy liked the game. For me the best AG I played so far this year. But then again I feel like I´m from a different planet, as I usualy like games that recieve poor reviews and hate those that are the most popular. Maybe I´m a bit too forgiving about this game, but I gave it 9/10.
I loved the plot, didn´t encounter any big plot holes and being story-driven as it is, I realy enjoyed playing it. Plus the main protagonist was a realy unlucky guy and I found myself feeling sorry for him with the hard luck he had troughout the game...
A have to agree with the no changing of clothes and weird drinking animation issues, but I didn´t consider it a key problem for the game...
Old 05-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #78
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
But then again I feel like I´m from a different planet, as I usualy like games that recieve poor reviews and hate those that are the most popular
That being the case have you ever played Atlantis: Evolution? That was my first adventure game I played after I had not played them in a while...

Codeguru
Old 05-31-2008, 07:31 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienepien View Post
Spoiler:
the blood and the shooting guy were all part of the set-up by the baddies, to create fear and confusion. Wasn't there some video of the blood-pouring and the shooting?
Are you sure there was a
Spoiler:
video of somone deliberately pouring the blood!?
I don't remember anything like that, how is it triggered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
If anyone would like to read, Adventure Classic Gaming has just posted their Overclocked review.
This review mentions that David is 41 years old, is that mentioned anywhere in the game? Did I miss it?

Last edited by Aurebesh; 05-31-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #80
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh View Post
This review mentions that David is 41 years old, is that mentioned anywhere in the game? Did I miss it?
I think this fact was mentioned only at the official website. Quite surprising. I was pretty sure he was around 30, when I was playing the game.