You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Great newer adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Default Great newer adventure games?

I've played most of the classics, but I've been out of the adventure game loop for a couple years. Can anyone recommend some great adventure games that have come out after The Longest Journey? Are there any that compare to the best older ones, or are they all watered down mediocre games?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I find most of the new ones to be pretty mediocre, but a lot of people really love Syberia. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but I'd suggest checking it out based on how well it was received. If you've played Broken Sword 1 and 2 (or even if you haven't, I suppose) you might take a look at Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon, which isn't completely top-notch in terms of story and puzzles but is pretty upbeat (which, if nothing else, is a big change from games of the last few years) and is pretty technologically advanced for an adventure game (real-time 3d backgrounds and characters).

I'm sure there are some really obvious games I'm missing that will be immediately pointed out by four dozen people, but you may as well look up those two games.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-11-2004, 02:09 AM   #3

Runaway, Tony Tough, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Midnight Nowhere, Salammbo, Post Mortem. All got pros and cons. Runaway got the best reviews, Tony Tough got a large number of positive ones as well. The two last ones are 1st person games. Syberia and Broken Sword 3 were mentioned above.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:20 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
Runaway, Tony Tough, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Midnight Nowhere, Salammbo, Post Mortem. All got pros and cons. Runaway got the best reviews, Tony Tough got a large number of positive ones as well. The two last ones are 1st person games. Syberia and Broken Sword 3 were mentioned above.
I think BS3 got better reviews than Runaway, but you may have only been referring to the games in your post.

to michael1123: I cannot in good conscience fail to mention that in my opinion, you should only play Runaway if you don't mind absurd pixel-hunting and nothing but simple inventory-based puzzles, as well as completely one-dimensional characters and a pretty sketchy plot. The backgrounds look very nice, if that's important. Also, BS3 has many, many crate puzzles; that bothered some, didn't bother others.

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 02-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #5

Journey to the Center of the Earth and Post Mortem both have a lot of critiscisms against them, so you may want to do some research first. As far as I could tell, the general opinon of both was "Could have been pretty good but..." with both having too many but's to be listed here. I am currently playing Salammbo and have to say it is pretty "meh". It is really linear and the dialogue is pretty uninspired. (At least in English.) There are some basic playability issues as well. (i.e. Have fun getting from point A to point B in the army camp. Your character must have drunk too much "elephant wine" or something.)

Am I the only one who finds it amusing that no one mentioned Uru?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #6
Under pressure.

If you think about it, though, after TLJ no game has gotten that certain 'X-Factor' that some of those classics have. You know, that special feeling. And the way you're sad when you've finished it because you wish it could last forever. Last time I had that was when playing Grim Fandango. I think.

The aforementioned games come pretty close, though.

--Erwin
Old 02-11-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
Easily amused

If you like Myst type games, try Dark Fall and Rhem.
For 3rd person type games, Black Mirror is a long game with good graphics and an interesting story.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:45 PM   #8
Banned User

Salammbo
Riddle of the Sphinx
In Memoriam
GK3
Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #9
cuc

Highly recommended:

Shadow of Destiny (aka Shadow of Memories)
Myst III: Exile (Ok, only if you like Myst)

And more (haven't played them myself):

Road to India (very short)
Traitor's Gate (NOT Traitor's Gate 2)
Schizm: Mysterious Journey (1st person, VERY hard math puzzle, not much story)

Last edited by cuc; 02-11-2004 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #10
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixor
to michael1123: I cannot in good conscience fail to mention that in my opinion, you should only play Runaway if you don't mind absurd pixel-hunting and nothing but simple inventory-based puzzles, as well as completely one-dimensional characters and a pretty sketchy plot. The backgrounds look very nice, if that's important. Also, BS3 has many, many crate puzzles; that bothered some, didn't bother others.
And I cannot in good conscience allow you to believe that Runaway is as bad a game as Remixor would have you believe. It is a delightful throwback to humorous adventures, with reasonably difficult puzzles, good dialogue, excellent graphics, and fantastic cutscenes. I highly, highly recommend it.

So, decide for yourself.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 02-11-2004, 10:43 PM   #11
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
... good dialogue, excellent graphics, and fantastic cutscenes. I highly, highly recommend it.
After finally finishing Runaway, I thought it had horrible dialogue and a BORING main character, GREAT graphics!, and some fantastic cutscenes with some strange pseudo-3d something or the other going on. I give it a 6 out of 10. The artwork was super. The story and puzzles were OK.

The most fun I've had in a recent adventure game was in Beyond Good & Evil and Broken Sword 3. Both were excellent especially in their "immersion" factor. I also really liked Journey to the Center of the Earth even with its quirky faults.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:07 PM   #12

Despite it not really being an adventure game, I must also express my support for Beyond Good and Evil. It's one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had for years, and it's worth looking at if you're an adventure gamer who doesn't mind playing an action/adventure.

Old 02-12-2004, 01:44 AM   #13
LA-S-LE

I'd suggest you to play Escape from Monkey Island and Gabriel Knight 3. Also Runaway is not a bad experience, though it stands very far from all-time classic.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:58 AM   #14
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
I'd suggest you to play Escape from Monkey Island
I'd suggest not

but maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
and Gabriel Knight 3. Also Runaway is not a bad experience, though it stands very far from all-time classic.
I too suggest GK3, nowadays it's a classic game.

Also Runaway is a game that must be tried.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:13 AM   #15
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I have GK3 and EMI. There's no way I wouldn't have GK3, since I worship the series.

I did play a demo of Runaway and I wasn't very impressed. From that I basically got the impression of it that Remixor gave.

As for Broken Sword, sadly, I haven't played any of them. I haven't seen them in stores or found a place to download them, but I've heard they're great so its on my to do list to buy them online.

I'm not big on Myst type games. Other than that, keep the recommendations coming, and give descriptions if you can.

I am more looking for a game with that special something that Erwin mentioned though. The Longest Journey and GK3 are the last games that have given me that feeling, and both of which I enjoyed more the second time through.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:14 PM   #16
Augmented

I think Anachronox qualifies as a Adventure game, 80% of the game revolves around story and figuring out things and clicking, about 20% of it is fighting like a console style RPG. Great characters and funny storyline. The only thing is the game is buggy, you've gotta make sure you get the update patches.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #17
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123
As for Broken Sword, sadly, I haven't played any of them. I haven't seen them in stores or found a place to download them, but I've heard they're great so its on my to do list to buy them online.
Sold-Out Software handle the distribution of BS1 and 2 (or Circle of Blood, as the Americans knew Broken Sword 1).

http://www.sold-out.co.uk

Good prices (the cheapest budget games get in the UK), and they ship internationally. Well worth getting both of them.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #18
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo
I think Anachronox qualifies as a Adventure game, 80% of the game revolves around story and figuring out things and clicking, about 20% of it is fighting like a console style RPG. Great characters and funny storyline. The only thing is the game is buggy, you've gotta make sure you get the update patches.
Indeed. I needed the unofficial patch to get it working under Windows XP, but then I'd recommend the unofficial patch anyway, as it adds some good features (like more save slots).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #19
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Anachronox is one game I did buy, because I liked the photo / mystery part of the demo. Sadly, the game disappointed me as a whole, and I eventually got bored and stopped playing it. Its all right, but its one of those common mediocre games.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:45 AM   #20
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
I have GK3 and EMI. There's no way I wouldn't have GK3, since I worship the series.
Then you'll be glad to know Jane Jensen is making a new ag, if you don't already know from AGs

Quote:
I did play a demo of Runaway and I wasn't very impressed. From that I basically got the impression of it that Remixor gave.

The Broken Sword games are some of the best around, especially BS1 for it's amazing story and pace, and BS3 or it's new take on adventure games and the amazingly good cinematic effect and feel of the game, and narrative, characters, graphics etc. BS3 a very good game, and imo is easily the best Adventure Game for a number of years. For me it beats all the other recent attempts hands down, and is the best adventure I've played since TLJ was released, if not further than that. While it has flaws it's still an excellent adventure, and those flaws are perhaps becoming overstated.

Go buy it, and 1 and 2 which you can get for £5 (less than US$10 each) from www.sold-out.co.uk as Lacey mentioned.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!