You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Anybody else having issues with Jack the Ripper?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #1

Default Anybody else having issues with Jack the Ripper?

I just purchased this game today - completely sight, review, demo unseen - and I can't even get out of the newspaper office! The map location that you need to visit does not register any amount of clicks, and saving and coming back in does not help either.

Anybody else buy this game and found a workaround?
Old 02-14-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
I'm really Cookin'

You should have a little white ribbon-kinda thing in your inventory which you have to drag over to the map on the left; the pin it should go onto will highlight as you're dragging. Then a new locale will be available to you on the map. I know, it's annoying, but that's the way every new location has to be opened up for the first time. Just keep an eye on your inventory for new white ribbon/locations.

By the way, the game *is* buggy anyway, though. Good luck with cut scenes-- they froze on me periodically no matter what I did. I got repeating sound loop hangs, and sometimes the cut scenes would freeze altogether. I tried two different sets of sound drivers for my SB Audigy (both certified for DX 9 and WinXP which I run), and was running new video drivers on my Radeon 9700....Go figure.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #3
Retirement is stupid

For what it's worth, I never ran into any bugs or crashes during Jack the Ripper...I'm running a fairly standard P4 rig with slightly older video and sound hardware, though.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 02-14-2004, 03:17 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Skinny Minnie]You should have a little white ribbon-kinda thing in your inventory which you have to drag over to the map on the left; the pin it should go onto will highlight as you're dragging. [QUOTE]

Oh wow, thanks! I didn't realise such a thing was needed to activate the location.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
I'm really Cookin'

Yeah, it's not exactly the most intuitive way to go about opening up new locations...
Old 02-15-2004, 08:13 AM   #6

Running on AMD 1.4 Athlon - WindowsXP Professional - 512Meg Memory - NVIDIA GeForce4 64Meg

Numerous issues:
Switching to and fro from game screen to Map/Inventory (mouse right-click) would lock up/freeze game and have to kill Jack task using Task Manager

Visit a location using Map then revisit a location (return to Newspaper Office) and whole display would be corrupted (characters floating on the walls - whole portions of screen blacked out and would have to rotate to see anything - rooms were like being in one of those "mystery" houses, walls tilted sideways etc.

Save a game then reload and game location would be frozen - no 3D panning up, down, left or right - cursor would still move though

Resolution:
The old stand-by - Update drivers - for me I updated my NVidia drivers and all of the above went away and haven't had any game crashing incidents since.

[Off Topic] Does anyone else think Palmer's colleague Paul at the office is a dead ringer for Alan Arkin? (especially if you've seen the movie Catch 22 - and if you haven't seen this classic you should)
[/Off Topic]

Thoughts on game itself:
It pretty much blows - currently on Day 5
Am I going to finish it? Yes
Why? Because I can

Last edited by hooter; 02-15-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:44 PM   #7
Umbilicus Mundi

Just finished the game. Experienced some bugs. After the first hour or so I made a mental note to NEVER PRESS F1. It has the same function as the right mouse button but sometimes screws up the game completely by resetting some objects etc.

Old 02-16-2004, 04:06 AM   #8
Banned User

Not only is the game really crap but it s also full of bugs .

After Post Mortem, another huge waste of time

People, keep your money for another game coming this year, trust me you won t regret it