You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Great newer adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 05:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
Then you'll be glad to know Jane Jensen is making a new ag, if you don't already know from AGs
I think now is an appropriate time to plug my Project Jane-J Unofficial FAQ.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:21 AM   #22
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
And I cannot in good conscience allow you to believe that Runaway is as bad a game as Remixor would have you believe.
No it's not *that* bad.
Quote:
It is a delightful throwback to humorous adventures,
Laid back and cool, but I didn't find it had particularily good humour.
Quote:
with reasonably difficult puzzles,
Yes, the puzzles were difficult, but very often fall into the rather absurd solutions category.
Quote:
good dialogue,
There is some dialogue that is quite good, but most often I would say it is average.
Quote:
excellent graphics,
Here I agree completely
Quote:
and fantastic cutscenes.
Also good. The cutscenes are the only place that you learn anything about the story, btw
Quote:
I highly, highly recommend it.
No it's not *that* good.
Quote:
So, decide for yourself.

- Evan
So, now I've hopefully given you a better picture of what you can expect of Runaway.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 02-15-2004, 06:38 AM   #23
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Personally, to defend Runaway I have to be slightly spoilerish, nothing that will totally ruin the game for you but I'd like you to be warned. Anyway, the story of Runaway starts off really hokey, but there's a reason for this, and that reason...

(I suggest you stop reading if you don't want to be even minorly spoiled.)

Spoiler:
Is that Brian is being fed an obvious lie, and he's a gullible nitwit. If you play the game with that perspective, the story doesn't seem all that bad. I didn't find the puzzles all that bad (,except for the one in which you need to drop a pot over the railing), but the problem of finding all the usuable items could be trather troublesome. As well as getting multiple items from the train & doctor's bag, those really were bleh.

Still, its a damn fine decent game, and while the puzzles aren't always the greatest, they're far better than the early Sierra titles & Maniac Mansion, so all should be forgiven. Personally, I'm really looking forward to the sequel, as I wouldn't be suprised if these sort of kinks were worked out.

Sky Warrior Bob

Last edited by Sky Warrior Bob; 02-15-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:19 AM   #24
Knowledgeable

Send a message via ICQ to ragnar Send a message via MSN to ragnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Warrior Bob
Spoiler:
Is that Brian is being fed an obvious lie, and he's a gullible nitwit. If you play the game with that perspective, the story doesn't seem all that bad.
Spoiler:
The big problem is that you don't care at all for the main characters, Brian and Gina. They have nothing interesting at all. The only interesting things happen despite them. They could have been removed from the game almost without anyone noticing.. There are a couple of interesting characters (Sushi for example), but they only play minor roles in the game.

And to SWB: There is a spoiler tag you can use.

Read my adventure game reviews here
Blaskan
Dragon Go Server
Ragnar Ouchterlony
Old 02-15-2004, 10:57 AM   #25
8-Bit Spritemaster™

I really don't think saying that Brian & Gina are uninteresting characters, needs a spoiler space... But thanks for the Spoiler tip.

Anyway, yeah they are kinda flat, althought they do get a tad more interesting 5 minutes from the end, but still pretty flat. Of course, it does leave a bit more room for the, you are this character aspect of old Sierra titles. I mean, until the later games where the characters started speaking, having no personality could be attributed to pratically ever Sierra main character.

This is one of the reasons why Lucasarts made better titles. All the same, I think its up to personal preference, but not entirely getting to know my main character doesn't get under my skin as much as the next adventure gamer.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 02-15-2004, 07:29 PM   #26
fov
Rattenmonster

I thought Runaway was a FUN game. I played it straight over 1-2 weeks. Most adventure games take me months to finish because I get bored. I just loved that little game -- for reasons I'm not good at articulating, so I'll leave it at that.

Shadow of Destiny is the best adventure game I've played in a long time. I highly recommend it. Unless you have Windows ME, in which case, you might not get it running.

-emily
Old 02-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #27
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I do know of the Jane-J project, and have read the preview and FAQ
Hope everything works out well with it, and I can't wait. Ironically, KQ6 was the game that made adventure games my favorite genre when I played it just after it came out, so I was a fan of Jensen's work before I even knew who she was. Now I don't think KQ6 ranks among the best adventure games of all time, but I do think it blows away the rest of the KQ series, probably largely due to her input. The rest of the series is very cookie cutter material, but it made up the majority of my adventure game experience before KQ6, along with PQs and the original Maniac Mansion, which I always loved.

The Broken Swords certainly will be the next adventure games I buy, or at least at the same time as the Last Express. I bought The Last Express online a couple months ago, at the same time that I got Anachronox, and while Anachronox bored me, the Last Express fascinated me. But, with my luck, after being completely hooked on the game on the first CD, I discovered that the second CD had a crack in it that made it unfunctional, and the online store didn't have another copy of the game.