You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Do Adventure Gamers like to play other types of games, RPGs or first person shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 AM   #41
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Oh silly me...I forgot to mention turn based strategy. One of my all time favorite games to play is the Battle For Wesnoth. It's free, it's unflashy, and it's completely freakin addictive.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #42

I like to play rpgs as well as adventure/puzzle games. Lately, I've found myself enjoying Beyond Good & Evil immensely . It is a hybrid of action/adventure game - and it is a great game.

I don't like platform games much as they tend to use the player's skills rather than the character skills. I don't like shooters (like FPS games) as most of them use the first person perspective, and I tend to get motion sickness when playing these games. Sad but true....

I have played Zork: Nemesis and Deus Ex, though, both games uses a first perspective, but has sort of a fixed camera thing going in the gameplay.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #43
LA-S-LE

Story-based and unique action/shooters/arcades are sometimes better then adventure games. System Shocks, Outcast, Mafia, Half Life, Another World, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex, Call of Cthulhu, LBA..
Actually, Bioshock looks very promising - just as much as Vampyre Story or Culpa Innata.. Can't wait for them)
Old 04-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #44
Thats the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type View Post
Story-based and unique action/shooters/arcades are sometimes better then adventure games. System Shocks, Outcast, Mafia, Half Life, Another World, Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Deus Ex, Call of Cthulhu, LBA..
Actually, Bioshock looks very promising - just as much as Vampyre Story or Culpa Innata.. Can't wait for them)
Outcast, now that game had an awesome soundtrack. Good story and loved the voxel graphics because it was so unique.

Bioshock does look very good and I hope it comes out this year.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #45

Aside from adventure games, I like to play RPGs, especially the Final Fantasy series.
I also play 1st and 3rd person shooters like Timesplitters and Metal Gear Solid.

I passionately hate sports games.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #46

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

I play al sorts of stuff. some favourites are Max Payne, Wing Commander IV, Interstate '76, Duke Nukem 3D, Crimson Skies, Empire At War, Jedi Knight series and a lot of others...
I'm the root of all that's evil yeah but you can call me Cookie
Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #47
Adventure Game Researcher

I study them all, but for fun, I do enjoy some of the nicer graphicsed RPG and FPS games, I had Morrowind living on one of my compys for over a year, and Oblivion is still there, I really enjoy FarCry and some of the fantastic community mods like Matto 3 and 4, I tend to get bored with RPG's with too many companions to keep track of, I have enough trouble getting my main char to do what it is supposed to do. I also enjoy space sims but just dont have the time to learn all the 10,009 keyboard controls for some, have Freespace 1 and 2 lined up, Independence War I (very nice game) and I, love the scenics for Homeworld I, Cat, and II, and ORB, and many of the Wing Commanders (WC I just came out on GameTap in case anyone wants to play it on XP)..., and love the cut scenes from them too, I am currently playing JadeEmpire and love its settings and scenes, and have Neverwinter 2 in line, but still return to AG for core gaming again when there is precious time.And I do enjoy some of the history based games, like SPQR ( a rare treat), Caesar II, III, and IV, but my plebs keep tearing down my cities. I like Deus EX Invisible War quite a bit, and aspects of Doom III, Unreal II, Sin Episode Emergence are quite nice, and Chrome has cool graphics too for FPS's. I am going to try Riddick EFBB which I hear is nice graphically also so i am AG + quite a bit else.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs

Last edited by Christian IV; 04-10-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:11 AM   #48

I'll play any game that has good gameplay ... but I prolly won't beat it unless it has a good story.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 04-10-2007, 11:38 AM   #49

The majority of games I play are adventure games, action-adventures (Zelda/Okami), RPGs, and some platformers. I also love quirky Japanese games of any genre (if they are well made). I used to play a lot more Japanese RPG's, but now I have little time or patience for leveling up and will only play top-rated RPGs like Final Fantasy and Oblivion. I also don't like FPS and RTS's much since they're too stressful (the only "FPS" I ever played at length is Metroid Prime). I played the Warcraft series, but only with cheat codes once it gets harder. I also play most RPG's on easy if you can adjust the difficulty.

Whoever brought up Beyond Good & Evil: I just finished it recently and it was a pure joy to play, and such a beautiful blend of adventure and platformer it's a damned shame there isn't a sequel.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #50

Adventure is my favorite genre, but I do play most others. FPS(especialy if they're open-ended ones or tactical shooters), strategy(not a big fan of typical RTSes, I prefer real-time tactics, economical sims, turn-base etc), simulators, puzzle games, platformers RPGs etc. I'm not a big fan of fighters and sport games though. And with few exceptions the only racing games I play are hardcore racing sims.
I do tend to enjoy niche games(big fan of indie, which recently is exploding) more than big mainstream ones
Old 04-11-2007, 04:35 AM   #51

Nothing beats adventure games for me.

Still sometimes I play HoMM (Strategy) or some sport games with my friends (NHL,NBA,FIFA).
Old 04-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #52
Lazy Bee

I only play adventure games.

I like a good story and not too difficult puzzles. Needing to check hints or walkthrough all the time is no fun.
Sometimes I watch my son playing FPS games and they're repulsive to me. I haven't tried RPG games yet and don't feel the desire to right now. But it wouldn't surprise me if I do try those out one day.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #53

I'll play anything with a decent story.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:11 AM   #54
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Apart from Adventure Games, I love to play especially RPGs. I think "Neverwinter Nights" is one of the greatest games ever, not because of the OC (because lets face it, it succed. "Shadows of Undrentine" was a bit better", but the only real good one was "Hordes of the Underdark". Of the OCs, that is.), but because it gives you the ability to create your own stories. I love stories. Many a custom made module has left me feel empty inside, and sad that the story is over, desiring to know what happens more, which only happens with the best of stories for me. There's some truly great modules out there. It doesn't matter that the graphics are not the best.

NWN 2 also has that potential, but it still has a long way to go.

I'm currently trying to get "Jade Empire" to run on my PC (or rather, trying to get it installed.).

One of my all time favourites which I still play is the Baldur's Gate series. I am still playing it these days. In fact, in the recent past I have completed Baldur's Gate 2 alone at least 7 times in a row. I have completed both Icewind Dale games, and am waiting for some mods that improve them somewhat, to come out.

A friend got me addicted to Morrowind.

I'm trying to get my hands on "Planescape: Torment".

I can't remember exactly what I played before I played Adventure Games. I know I played a lot of Jump'n'Run games on my old AMIGA (Giana Sisters, Titus the Fox), but also other games, that don't really fit a description (Rock'N'Roll ball).

Then there was "The Game of Robot". We never had the full version, but I still dream of one day acquiring it. You could get very far in the game without registering, but even though you got far, there was still tons of stuff to discover. I believe neither I nor my sisters ever got close to even completing it. My favourite was "Robot III - Island of the Holy Trial". You were shipwrecked on an island, with nothing but your clothes on. The island is inhabited, and huge. But the inhabitants don't speak your language, so you actually have to learn the language. I used it so often, I think it is branded in my brain. "Cu is u cu il?" asked for trading, and if the Tamala (that's what they were called) replied the right phrase you would say "ta" (yes), and the trade began. You could collect all kinds of things, but could only carry a limited amount of things. There were dangerous creatures running around. Swimming was dangerous. You needes special shoes to walk in the forest. If you got a bridle and a step stool you could ride a turtle. It was great! This game did not really fit in any specific category. I think I'll buy it soon, because though it was for DOS, it can still be bought (there is a windows version too, I think). Here is the website. And here is the fan site. If you want to get an impression of the size of this game here is a small scale map, and a Full scale map. Most of the time you only were able to explore the top lef green area beside the volcano before your score has reached the point where you have to type in the security code. Here's a screenshot from early in the game:

I also enjoy the Civilisation games, and am a big player of "Die Siedler" ("The Settlers"), starting with number 2. Number 2 is still my all time favourite. (These are all strategy).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #55
The Quiet One

I'm into a mixture of all sorts really, it depends on what tickles my fancy. Normally games with good storylines are a definate. Adventure games are the main ones i play but i also enjoy action/adventures. I sometimes play the occasional FPS, strategy and RPG but i'm not a huge fan. There are some that i love but i'm not fussed about all these latest ones coming out at the moment. To tell the truth i'm behind on most of everything today and don't discover a lot of stuff until late.

I love to play on: Castlevania (surprise, surprise), even though i've only played a couple. Symphony of the Night is one of my all time favourite games and that was the first game i ever played on the PlayStation. I love the Grand Theft Auto series but i'm not too keen on the originals or San Andreas. I love to play on the DOOM games occasionally.

I love the Tomb Raider and MediEvil series, I enjoyed Final Fantasy VII but the trouble with those games is that i find them a bit too long. I wouldn't say i was a fan of the series as i've only played 7 and i'm half way through 10.

I played Vagrant Story but stopped playing somewhere during the game. I love the original Alundra game for the PS (another one of my all time favs). I enjoy playing on Soldier of Fortune, The Settlers III and IV, Splinter Cell, The Sims, got the Thief games but still need to play 'em, I've recently got into the Hitman games too, American McGee's Alice (as i love things twisted ), RollerCoaster Tycoon, Theme Hospital... this list could go on lol.

At some point, as behind as i am, i'll go through the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #56
Supreme Dictator for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I love to play on: Castlevania (surprise, surprise), even though i've only played a couple. Symphony of the Night is one of my all time favourite games and that was the first game i ever played on the PlayStation. I love the Grand Theft Auto series but i'm not too keen on the originals or San Andreas. I love to play on the DOOM games occasionally.
I recently downloaded SOTN on XBLA. Wow! Suprisingly deep. I kind of rushed through it initially and thought, "that's it?". But I eventually replayed the game and wound up unlocking the inverted castle by accident. Strange how the simple act of flipping something upsidedown plays with your senses.

Anyways, I'd consider my tastes in games to be pretty diverse. I'm a big fan of the Fallouts, Elder Scrolls series, Noone Lives Forever, Deus Ex, Unreal Tournament, Anachronox (which while billed as an RPG definitely has a great deal of adventure elements and a great sense of humor - i can't recommend this one highly enough).

All things being equal though, I'd rather play an adventure game than any other.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 AM   #57
ssa

In the beginning was Strategy...Then there was point and click...On the seventh day when God rested there was Morrowind.

I'm afraid of starting on Oblivion cause I neglected everything else for weeks when playing Morrowind (+ exp.).

Never interested in a game that isn't mainly about exploring.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #58
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

As of late (somewhere around the last 2-3 years) I have been pretty much converted to an all-around gamer, mostly drawn by games with engrossing stories and interesting characters. I find RPGs to be more frequently than not loyal to such content so I'll have to pick them as my second favorite or maybe new favorite genre besides adventure games. I almost never touch sport/ racing games or simulations if not under hypnosis. The games I have especially enjoyed and spent great amounts of time with are the following:

Neverwinter Nights + SoU and HotU
Baldur's Gate
Planescape: Torment
Beyond Good and Evil
Starcraft + Brood War
Warcraft III + Frozen Throne
World of Warcraft (you never heard that)
Psychonauts
KotOR I and II
Prince of Persia Trilogy
Silent Hill 2
Blair Witch Trilogy
Nocturne
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Vampire The Masquarade: Redemption
Vampire: Bloodlines

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 04-25-2007, 04:54 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I only play adventure games.

I like a good story and not too difficult puzzles. Needing to check hints or walkthrough all the time is no fun.
Sometimes I watch my son playing FPS games and they're repulsive to me. I haven't tried RPG games yet and don't feel the desire to right now. But it wouldn't surprise me if I do try those out one day.
My advice on this: if you're looking into a smooth transition between AGs and RPGs (and don't mind oldish - but still nice, in my opinion - graphics), try Anachronox. Excellent atmosphere and characters, very strong backstory, lots of adventuring, and the RPG aspect are relatively light, compare to all the other games I've tried (Morrowind, Oblivion, Final Fantasy, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torrment) which could also appeal to adventure gamers.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #60

Send a message via AIM to Mikeynuts

Rollercoaster Tycoon and American McGee's Alice - two non-adventure games that I absolutely love.