You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Do Adventure Gamers like to play other types of games, RPGs or first person shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 02:09 AM   #21

I'll play just about anything that strikes me as good. Looking through my collection, about half are adventures, and most of the other half are RPGs or simulations. Puzzles and card/board games are good for killing time if you don't want to start something epic, and I have a few of them (Puzzle Master, Solitaire Master, and Mah-Johngg Master, plus Hoyle's Board Games and Pandora's Box).

I've never really been keen on all-out action games, but sometimes they hit the spot when you want to give your mind a rest. I gave myself hand cramp just the other night playing Expendable. Among the actiony crowd, American McGee's Alice stands out as... well... outstanding.

Here are a few of my faves in all genres, with the warning that I haven't played most of them through to the end. They're in no particular order, just as I find them in my CD binders:

Phantasmagoria 2 (I would VERY much like to play Phant 1 but have never managed to get hold of it)
Shivers and Shivers 2: Harvest of Souls
American McGee's Alice
Dungeon Keeper
The Sims
Creatures series
Emergency Room series
Civilisation: Call to Power

I'm sure Baldur's Gate is going to be right up there, but I haven't played it yet. I've played some of Thief and really enjoyed it, but got interrupted and will have to start over again from the beginning eventually.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:00 AM   #22
Banned User

I prefer adventure but as it's absent from the scene most of the year, I also play other genres. Though Call Of Cthulhu was the last game I've played in a while. I'm interested in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but I don't think it'd run on my computer. I enjoyed Vampire Bloodlines (can't remember the actual title, the last one of them) a great deal even though it was buggy. Half Life 1 was way better than Half Life 2. Oh, I enjoyed Prince of Persia's as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:23 AM   #23
Ronin

I avidly play turn-based strategy games. Adventure games are my secondary pasttime.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
I don't know how long you've played RPGs for, but for me, the story tends to be reoccuring on severaly notes.

I notice most RPGs star some male hero, a female sidekick (Breath of Fire, Lunar, Grandia, Final Fantasy XII, Legend of Dragoon), they have to go from city to city, generally go to a dungeon to help each city for some reason or rather, generally the main character's city is wiped out (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Legend of Dragoon (I think), Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy 10) for some reason or rather, or it's in peril, or it's got something to do with the end of the world blah blah blah.

These days RPGs take themselves too seriously, or just aren't as involving as stories such as those in action adventures like Silent Hill that really try to push to the next level. A number of RPGs also have the same kind of art direction.

And don't get me started on Western RPGs. How many alternative versions of Dungeons and Dragons and Lord of the Rings do you need?

Another thing is they take too long. Back when in school I had the time and the patience to level up characters. Not anymore. I tend to get tired of any game that takes longer than 10 hours to complete. I still plan to play Final Fantasy XII at some stage, but I'll use cheats to get to maximum levels so I can skim through.

It would be nice to see a point and click adventure with the same kind of epic scope and feel of an RPG though. Imagine Final Fantasy 7-9 with point and click, more emphasis on exploring rather than fighting. I kinda wonder why no-one has thought of it before...
The first RPG I played was Zelda on the NES system, then I moved to the Ultima games [they do go on abit], I then discovered Myst on the DVO system, I was hooked on click and point games. But I now get what you mean, I guess I was having fun living in my own little world I didnt realise that it was pretty much same ole same ole.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #25

I'm predominantly an adventure player, and tend to find most of the other genres uninteresting.

As a matter of fact, RPG is the only genre beside adventures which I truly like. I've more or less always got an RPG "going" at a given time (though it can be weeks between sessions).

I played a couple of RTSs (Dune 2, C&C) and FPSs (Wolfenstein, Doom, Heretic) back in the days, but I got bored with them pretty fast. I played the whole Wing Commander series, though it was probably more for the plot (esp. in 2 and 4) than the gameplay itself. Speaking of which, I'm currently playing Trauma Center on my DS, whose structure is very similar to WC2 (and while I'm very bad at it, I'm slowly getting close to finishing it, as well as getting good scores on older missions).

Oh, and I bear an irrational love to an old and silly platform game called GODS. I could probably play through it blindfolded.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 04-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #26
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I wouldn't consider myself an "Adventure Gamer", so I shouldn't really be in this thread. Bye!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 AM   #27
Master of time and space

I play any genre as long as the game is good. I prefer games with a good story though.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #28
King Silly

At the moment I'm waiting to get God of War 2. First one was brilliant. Main character and story are both great.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #29
Game Creator Hobbyist

I have never played an RPG - from what I've heard about them I don't think that's something I'd like.
I approve of puzzle games, but I don't play them much, since I'm so bad at that.
I enjoy platform games (and include games like Sands of Time and Beyond Good and Evil in that genre) and arcade racers. Also other odd games from various genres. Come to think of it, RPG is probably the only major genre in which I've never enjoyed a game.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #30

I would like them if I was actually good at them. I get killed off instantly because I'm so lame. So, it's either don't play them at all or play them on God mode.

There was one action game that I got pretty far in without using codes. That was Gun. Very cool game.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #31
Schättenjager

I like third person action like Mafia,POP,Hitman.. well not much else actually.
(and not senseless gta)
Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #32
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

I like adventure games and I quite enjoy action and skill elements as well. I think I first discovered this playing Fate of Atlantis and having a jolly time punching Nazis.

I also like boxing games, shooters, old arcade games like Samurai Showdown and Street Fighter, hybrid adventures, strategy, and I love RPGs like Oblivion and Morrowind. The only kind of game I can say with certainty that I don't play are racing games. I had great fun playing the silly Tux Racer game that came with our Linux system..until I realized that after about 5 minutes of play, I felt hellishly nauseous. I get motion sick when I play racers which effectively kills my enjoyment.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm View Post
I avidly play turn-based strategy games.
Crapstorm, could you recommend some to me? I don't really know of any apart from the Civilization games and Alpha Centauri.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #34
Ronin

Well, my favorite are the fantasy TBS games, like the Heroes of Might and Magic series (HOMM III was the high point). Disciples II and Warlords IV are great too. If you like hardcore bookkeeping-type games, try Galactic Civilizations II (still on shelves, I think). There's an old game called Chaos Overlords that kicks unbelievable amounts of ass, and I'd probably rate it as my all-time fave, but it's quite dated in terms of graphics. I didn't like the Age of Wonders games, but a lot of people swear by them. This list should keep you busy for a few thousand hours. Let me know when you need more recommendations.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #35

I play other games, but mostly don't like them as much as I do adventure games.

Some of the rare non-AGs that I liked : Morrowind, Jagged Alliance, Dune 2, Flashback, Prince of Persia, Anachronox, Final Fantasy, Beyond Good and Evil, Okami, Zelda, Planescape Torment, Heores of Might and Magic, etc. Mostly RPG, plateformers, and a few strategy games.
And really don't like FPS and RTS (Dune 2 aside ).

EDIT: To sum up, I like games that don't induce stress.

Last edited by Ninth; 04-09-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #36
capsized.

I play games for their appealing content, not for a made-up label printed onto the back of a box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
I played the whole Wing Commander series, though it was probably more for the plot (esp. in 2 and 4) than the gameplay itself.
I used to start-up Wing Commander 4 over and over and over again, just to be delighted with the 15 minutes long introduction sequence and feel pleasently surprised what magic my crappy computer with its crappy 4x CD-ROM drive could do.

Last edited by samIamsad; 04-09-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #37
Dividing the Digital

Adventures and RPGs are my preferred genre but i can find something fun to play in most others. Driving games are fun for the most part, thought lately i haven't cared too much for where the Need for Speed series has been going. Burnout just kicks a lot of butt and i wish someone would make another Carmageddon game heh. I'm very picky about FPS since they tend to lack good stories but the Max Payne series is very good and i very much dig the use of graphic novel-like cutscenes. And if anyone thinks Doom 3 was scary has never played the much better System Shock 2. I really don't care for those horror type games, but man did SS2 just rock (not to mention the nice RPG like touches). Tron 2.0 was another pretty good FPS just because i love the movie and they did a really good job and keeping the look and feel (and of course having Bruce reprise his role as Tron doesn't hurt either). As for RPGs, if anyone is looking for a strong story driven game will do themselves a favour and track down a copy of Planescape: Torment. Just an absolutely awesome experience from overall atmosphere to the interesting party members that are more than just backpack extensions.
Okay... i've ranted on enough i think heh...
Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #38
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

I'm an avid adventure gamer but some games are too good to miss. I also used to be a fanatic FPS MP gamer. The clan I played for used to be the #1 Quake 2 clan in Europe (according to Clanbase). Unfortunately, nowadays I don't have much time so if I have do play games it's World of Warcraft (need to play more! ) or an adventure game.

Some of my favorite non-adventure games:

Tomb Raider Series
Wing Commander Series
American McGee's Alice
Undying
Megarace (Lance Boyle!)
Reunion
Final Fantasy Series (now playing IX with a PS1 emulator )
System Shock II
Diablo II
Crusader No Remorse/No Regret
Quake 2 Lithium/RO
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
GTA Series
Guitar Hero
HeXen/Heretic
World of Warcraft

As you can see, there aren't alot of new games on my favo list. There hasn't been a game for a while that has captured my attention like the "old" games used to do. I like a lot of games like Oblivion, F.E.A.R. etc, but I don't love those games.

I don't own a console, so I haven't played a lot of the console classics (except Guitar Hero)...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:00 AM   #39
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYou View Post
I enjoyed Vampire Bloodlines (can't remember the actual title, the last one of them)
You got it right, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was the second one. The first was Redemption, I think. (kind of hoping someone makes a 3rd one, too *fingers crossed*)
Old 04-10-2007, 03:27 AM   #40
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Heres a list of game I love and adore not just like.

EVERY TOMB RAIDER!!
Starcraft
System Shock 2
Call of Duty 1 (don't like the other after 1)
Dragonshard
Paper Mario
TES: Oblivion
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Age of Mythology
Final Fanatsy Series
Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast
Jedi Knight Jedi Academy
Vagrant Story
Zelda Series
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives