You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Do Adventure Gamers like to play other types of games, RPGs or first person shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #1

Default Do Adventure Gamers like to play other types of games, RPGs or first person shooters

Do Adventure Gamers like to play other types of games, RPGs or first person shooters or platform ?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #2

Unlike most of the veteran adventure gamers on this forum, I grew up playing action platformers on the Master system and Megadrive before adventures.

Currently, I play action adventures such as Psychonauts, Tomb Raider Legends, Silent Hill and Shadow of the Colossus. I've just bought Okami and I'll play that as soon as I feel like it. I like these games as they tend to be the most involving games in gameplay and story, and generally not mindlessly violent. That being said I do play the odd FPS game when they have beautiful, bright locations (i.e. Farcry) and I love the Max Payne games.

I love most multiplayer Nintendo gamecube/ Wii games - Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Monkey Ball Banana Blitz.

I used to play RPGs before adventure games, but I'm a person who loves original storytelling, and most RPGs are too cliched so I switched to AGs. The last few RPGs I played were Stella Deus, Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) and Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (and its crappy sequel).
Old 04-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Adventure gamers tend to avoid anything with even the slightest bit of action in it, for fear that they might break a nail.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 AM   #4

I play lots of shooters both first and third person. Exept for tactical shooters where you have to think and plan your moves. Now I am playing the nine year old game sin through steam and after that scarface.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Easily amused

I only play PC point and click adventures, and as Squinky said, I avoid anything with action or timed bits. (But it had nothing to do with my nails )
Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
Unlike most of the veteran adventure gamers on this forum, I grew up playing action platformers on the Master system and Megadrive before adventures.

Currently, I play action adventures such as Psychonauts, Tomb Raider Legends, Silent Hill and Shadow of the Colossus. I've just bought Okami and I'll play that as soon as I feel like it. I like these games as they tend to be the most involving games in gameplay and story, and generally not mindlessly violent. That being said I do play the odd FPS game when they have beautiful, bright locations (i.e. Farcry) and I love the Max Payne games.

I love most multiplayer Nintendo gamecube/ Wii games - Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Monkey Ball Banana Blitz.

I used to play RPGs before adventure games, but I'm a person who loves original storytelling, and most RPGs are too cliched so I switched to AGs. The last few RPGs I played were Stella Deus, Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) and Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (and its crappy sequel).
Its very strange I love all the RPG games but it never occured to me that they are cliched, the last RPG game I played was dragon quest and it was just like the one I played before it star ocean [stories a bit different but basically the same]...the questing does get a little hard to bare after awhile but I still enjoy the quirky character they have...and also the weird names they have for the things you have to fight.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Its very strange I love all the RPG games but it never occured to me that they are cliched, the last RPG game I played was dragon quest and it was just like the one I played before it star ocean [stories a bit different but basically the same]...the questing does get a little hard to bare after awhile but I still enjoy the quirky character they have...and also the weird names they have for the things you have to fight.
I don't know how long you've played RPGs for, but for me, the story tends to be reoccuring on severaly notes.

I notice most RPGs star some male hero, a female sidekick (Breath of Fire, Lunar, Grandia, Final Fantasy XII, Legend of Dragoon), they have to go from city to city, generally go to a dungeon to help each city for some reason or rather, generally the main character's city is wiped out (Panzer Dragoon Saga, Legend of Dragoon (I think), Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy 10) for some reason or rather, or it's in peril, or it's got something to do with the end of the world blah blah blah.

These days RPGs take themselves too seriously, or just aren't as involving as stories such as those in action adventures like Silent Hill that really try to push to the next level. A number of RPGs also have the same kind of art direction.

And don't get me started on Western RPGs. How many alternative versions of Dungeons and Dragons and Lord of the Rings do you need?

Another thing is they take too long. Back when in school I had the time and the patience to level up characters. Not anymore. I tend to get tired of any game that takes longer than 10 hours to complete. I still plan to play Final Fantasy XII at some stage, but I'll use cheats to get to maximum levels so I can skim through.

It would be nice to see a point and click adventure with the same kind of epic scope and feel of an RPG though. Imagine Final Fantasy 7-9 with point and click, more emphasis on exploring rather than fighting. I kinda wonder why no-one has thought of it before...

Last edited by Terramax; 04-08-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Has a jaw of sweet teeth

I love every genre of game that doesn't have anything to do with that bloody "first person" %¤&#, don't really know why thou, might be couse it feels very unpersonal or it could just be because I really suck at all of them =)

Oh, and I also dislike almost every kind of racing game that tries to be like a real driving simulator.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I enjoy shooter games immensly, and play those a lot more, in fact, than aventure games, although I do play a fair amount of those.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #10

I like simulation games, turn-based strategy, tactical shooters and the occasional RPG.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

I play RPG sometimes
Old 04-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
King Silly

RPG's ( Baldurs gates, Fallouts etc loved them as well as Final Fantasies), random sports games like Pro Evolution Soccer series. Also been playing Football Manager a lot.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
Headbanger

I only play games which I think is good. If you take in consideration that besides games I'm obsessed with movies and books then it's natural that my games must have story, strong characters, interesting settings, fun gameplay and make me think if I'm going to like them.

To me that's more or less adventures but others might not consider Call of Cthulhu, Oblivion, the Prince Of Persia- Silent Hill- and Gothic - games to be adventuregames. So in that case I play other genres as well.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'll play pretty much anything that isn't a sports game (with the exception of Tennis or Cricket) or a driving game (with the exception of Trackmania). That said, I'm terrible at real-time strategy games.

But yeah, I like lots of stuff. I probably spend more of my time playing action games nowadays. Adventures are still my favourite type, though.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
Thats the ticket

I play anything that has a good story. Even Sports management games where you can create the stories in your head.

Some of my favourite non-Adventure games with great stories:

Mafia
Psychonauts
Planescape Torment
Half Life 2
Starcraft
God of War (PS2)
Deus Ex
System Shock 1&2
Old 04-08-2007, 05:01 PM   #16

I'm a huge fan of strong stories in ANY genre. RPGs are my second favourite genre after adventure, though.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
Harbinger of doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Do Adventure Gamers like to play other types of games, RPGs or first person shooters or platform ?
No

Except from tactical shooters like swat and rainbow six, and of course solitaire and freecell, red alert, civilization, gta, scarface, hitman...

I would like to change my answer.

Yes, I do play other types of games
Old 04-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #18
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Yeah, besides adventures, I play RPG's a lot lately. And on my Wii, I have a variety of games from various genres. Games on my hard drive and my Wii currently include:

PC
-Oblivion (w/KOTN & SI)
-NWN2
-Star Wars KOTOR 2
-City of Heroes

Wii
-Zelda: Twilight Princess
-Elebits
-Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
-Raving Rabbids
-Wii Sports
Old 04-08-2007, 11:03 PM   #19
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

I only rarely play FPSs and am only interested in the Command & Conquer line as far as RTSs go. I also play puzzle games, rpgs (also including diablo-clones), tactical combat games (love the HoMM series), and have played the occasional simulator and platform game back in the day. I'm certainly not against action games: I enjoy the Worms series and would love to see remakes of Covert Action and Crusader: no Remorse.
(What I am against is sneaking games. Never got past the first few levels in Thief: Dark Project, and I actually quit Dreamfall because I couldn't get past a sneaking sequence. I find sneaking scenes much harder and much more frustrating than action scenes, and am very wary of action-adventures that claim that the more difficult/dangerous action scenes can be avoided by sneaking.)
Old 04-08-2007, 11:45 PM   #20
tsa
Playing character

I only play adventure games. And I have Sokoban on my phone. I like puzzle games like that but I almost never play them on a computer.