You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Sound..uh game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #121
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the medleys, Kurufinwe. They were fun, and I failed to recognize much less games than I had feared I would. (Not counting those I haven't played, of course.)
Old 09-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #122
Retired Buccaneer

I've got a music mix I'm making up, but it might take a couple days.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #123

Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #124
Retired Buccaneer

I guess it won't take a couple of days after all. I busted my butt tonight and came up with a medley of 20 songs. Many of them are what I would consider "ludicrously easy," but a few are tricky little devils. I won't say anything more for the moment; I want to see what some of the guesses are.

As formatting goes: Yup, it's an ogg. If you can't play it you really need to bring your music software into 2006. I decided to divide the songs with a marker like Jeysie does; Kuru's expert blending often left me a bit confused as to where one track ended and the next began. This is my first try with music software, so a few problems (e.g. tracks that need amplification) are present. But overall I think it'll do nicely.

As with the last batch, tracks aren't truly "solved" until their location in the game is revealed.

And... THE FILE!

Last edited by ATMachine; 09-05-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:58 PM   #125
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

OK, here's what I've semi-figured out so far... (hopefully the numbering isn't too far off)

#2 sounds like the Space Quest motif, but I can't exactly place where. SQ4 closing scenes, maybe?

#7 is Prince Alexander's "suicide" in King's Quest 6. The "gulping" helped me narrow it down.

#8 I think is the "Ambassadorial Tour" in SQ5?

#9 and #20 both sound like they're from Monkey Island games, but I don't know which ones.

And, I think #12 is either Wolfgang Ritter's theme or the fight with Tetelo from Gabriel Knight 1. (Or, IIRC, the forest chase scene in GK2 also used the same general melody.)

And, I can't take credit for the "separator" idea. Lacey did it first.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #126

I won't be posting my answers just yet, since I know I've got 15/20 right (+ the transition), and wouldn't want to spoil the game for the others [that's what you get for re-listening to lots of tracks to make a medley of your own ].

The five ones I'm missing are the following:
  • #5 and #18 don't ring a bell at all.
  • #11 is the Indy theme, but it could be from lots of games: Indy 3, FOA, MI1, possibly even Kyrandia.
  • #13 is hard, since all the music in that game sounds alike. Still, the sound of water flowing should narrow it down; I'll have to listen to it again.
  • #20 is a mystery. It has the MI theme, but MI 2, 3 & 4 are already accounted for, and this is definitely not from MI1. I sense a trick. (or maybe it's MI2 again, but hard to recognize because the instruments are wrong*)

Thanks for putting it together, ATMachine!

* which is, unfortunately, the case for some of the extracts; # 4, 10, 14, 19 sound like MT-32 tracks played through a General MIDI device. Ew.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 09-06-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:47 AM   #127

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

Let's get the easy ones out of the way so we can focus on the harder ones..

1. Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis - walking over those lava bridge things.
2. Quest for Glory - main theme, probably from 1 but not sure.
4. Conquests of The Longbow - talking to Marian in the willow grove.
10. King's Quest VI - the music that plays when you see Cassima in her window.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:00 AM   #128
Grah! Grah!

2. Quest for Glory 3's Initiation challenge I'm 90% sure
I like the sound of 5. but have no idea what it is. Will be interesting to find out.
6. Is the final ritual in Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness
15. The bigfoot bash
17. Wally's cannon in The Curse of Monkey Island
18. The florist! Forgot how great that music is.
19. The poet in Quest for Glory 2

Recognise a lot of the others but the exact scene doesn't immediately come to mind. I like the choice of seperator.

Last edited by Junkface; 09-06-2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:45 AM   #129
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
#2 sounds like the Space Quest motif, but I can't exactly place where. SQ4 closing scenes, maybe?

#7 is Prince Alexander's "suicide" in King's Quest 6. The "gulping" helped me narrow it down.

#8 I think is the "Ambassadorial Tour" in SQ5?

#9 and #20 both sound like they're from Monkey Island games, but I don't know which ones.

And, I think #12 is either Wolfgang Ritter's theme or the fight with Tetelo from Gabriel Knight 1. (Or, IIRC, the forest chase scene in GK2 also used the same general melody.)
Your guess for #2 isn't right, I'm afraid. Keep trying.
#7 is correct.
#8 is indeed SQ5, but the wrong location.
#12 is indeed the forest chase scene from GK2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
* #5 and #18 don't ring a bell at all.
* #11 is the Indy theme, but it could be from lots of games: Indy 3, FOA, MI1, possibly even Kyrandia.
* #13 is hard, since all the music in that game sounds alike. Still, the sound of water flowing should narrow it down; I'll have to listen to it again.
* #20 is a mystery. It has the MI theme, but MI 2, 3 & 4 are already accounted for, and this is definitely not from MI1. I sense a trick. (or maybe it's MI2 again, but hard to recognize because the instruments are wrong*)
On #11... make a guess, it'll help narrow it down.
And #20 is indeed tricky. I'll be mightily impressed if anyone gets exactly where it's from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledz
1. Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis - walking over those lava bridge things.
2. Quest for Glory - main theme, probably from 1 but not sure.
4. Conquests of The Longbow - talking to Marian in the willow grove.
10. King's Quest VI - the music that plays when you see Cassima in her window.
#1 is correct.
#2 is Quest for Glory, but not from the first game.
#4 is the right game, but the wrong scene.
#10, I'm afraid, is completely wrong. Good guess, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
2. Quest for Glory 3's Initiation challenge I'm 90% sure
I like the sound of 5. but have no idea what it is. Will be interesting to find out.
6. Is the final ritual in Quest for Glory: Shadows of Darkness
15. The bigfoot bash
17. Wally's cannon in The Curse of Monkey Island
18. The florist! Forgot how great that music is.
19. The poet in Quest for Glory 2
Right on all counts. So let's see what we have so far:

1. Fate of Atlantis--Lava Maze (Ledz)
2. Quest for Glory III--Simbani Initiation Ritual (Ledz, Junkface)
3. ?
4. Conquests of the Longbow--? (Ledz)
5. ?
6. Quest for Glory IV--Summoning Avoozl (Junkface)
7. King's Quest VI--Swallowing Fake Poison (Jeysie)
8. Space Quest V--? (Jeysie)
9. ?
10. ?
11. ?
12. Gabriel Knight 2--Chasing the Wolf (Jeysie)
13. ?
14. ?
15. Sam and Max--Savage Jungle Inn (Junkface)
16. ?
17. Curse of Monkey Island--Cannon Port Exterior (Junkface)
18. Grim Fandango--The Enlightened Florist (Junkface)
19. Quest for Glory II--Omar's Poetry at the Katta’s Tail (Junkface)
20. ?
Transition--?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:26 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
On #11... make a guess, it'll help narrow it down.
I can't listen to it at the moment (at work), so I'll just go with a wild guess. The obvious choice is Indy 3, but that'd be so obvious that it's probably not the one you've chosen. FOA is obvious too, and is #1, so I'm going to rule it out too. The sequence played in MI1 (in the ghost ship) is exactly the same as one used in Indy 3, so that'd defeat the purpose of using an unexpected game, since Indy 3 would then be an equally correct answer -- so it's probably not that. But I don't remember it sounding like a flute (though I'll have to listen to it again), so it's probably not Kyrandia 1 either. So it's got to be something else. Except that I can't think of any other game where it plays. So I'll just say the death screen in Indy 3, though it's certainly wrong.

And since I've started guessing, I'll have a go at #13. It's definitely from The Dig, and the first things that came to mind were either one the tram stations in the nexus, or the top of the cathedral spire. But I'd really need to listen to it again.

Quote:
And #20 is indeed tricky. I'll be mightily impressed if anyone gets exactly where it's from.
Amateur games are out, right?
Old 09-06-2006, 03:28 AM   #131

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

Oh yeah I forgot to say the transition is the music outside the monastery in Longbow

4. Right.. it must be the map music then..

10. Completely wrong as in it's not even KQ6?! but.. but...
Old 09-06-2006, 03:53 AM   #132
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
I can't listen to it at the moment (at work), so I'll just go with a wild guess. The obvious choice is Indy 3, but that'd be so obvious that it's probably not the one you've chosen. FOA is obvious too, and is #1, so I'm going to rule it out too. The sequence played in MI1 (in the ghost ship) is exactly the same as one used in Indy 3, so that'd defeat the purpose of using an unexpected game, since Indy 3 would then be an equally correct answer -- so it's probably not that. But I don't remember it sounding like a flute (though I'll have to listen to it again), so it's probably not Kyrandia 1 either. So it's got to be something else. Except that I can't think of any other game where it plays. So I'll just say the death screen in Indy 3, though it's certainly wrong.
You're assuming I thought about the fact that the notes sound alike in a couple of different games. An error on my part, actually. It's from MI1.

Quote:
Amateur games are out, right?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledz
Oh yeah I forgot to say the transition is the music outside the monastery in Longbow

4. Right.. it must be the map music then..

10. Completely wrong as in it's not even KQ6?! but.. but...
The transition and #4 are right. But #10 is indeed completely wrong. Keep trying!
Old 09-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
You're assuming I thought about the fact that the notes sound alike in a couple of different games. An error on my part, actually. It's from MI1.
Yes, I think the exact same tune is used in Indy 3 (when Indy gets back into his Indywear[TM] for instance).

(and the reason why I had all that in mind was because I had thought of doing the same thing in my first medley ; but then I settled for the one from Discworld 3, which is not exactly Indy's theme, and therefore less open to debate)

And nothing about my guesses for #13?

Quote:
But #10 is indeed completely wrong. Keep trying!
You're just mean.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:11 AM   #134
Retired Buccaneer

Oh, forgot about your guesses to #13. Indeed The Dig, but not the right area of the game.

And as for #10... I think it's actually pretty easy.

The list so far...

1. Fate of Atlantis--Lava Maze (Ledz)
2. Quest for Glory III--Simbani Initiation Ritual (Ledz, Junkface)
3. ?
4. Conquests of the Longbow--The Map (Ledz)
5. ?
6. Quest for Glory IV--Summoning Avoozl (Junkface)
7. King's Quest VI--Swallowing Fake Poison (Jeysie)
8. Space Quest V--? (Jeysie)
9. ?
10. ?
11. Monkey Island I--Opening the Voodoo Crate (Kurufinwe)
12. Gabriel Knight 2--Chasing the Wolf (Jeysie)
13. The Dig--? (Kurufinwe)
14. ?
15. Sam and Max--Savage Jungle Inn (Junkface)
16. ?
17. Curse of Monkey Island--Cannon Port Exterior (Junkface)
18. Grim Fandango--The Enlightened Florist (Junkface)
19. Quest for Glory II--Omar's Poetry at the Katta’s Tail (Junkface)
20. ?
Transition--"GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO" from Conquests of the Longbow (Ledz)
Old 09-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #135
I wanna be a pirate!

- #9 Escape from Monkey Island - Lucre Island
- I think #14 is from MI2 but I can't remember where.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #136
Retired Buccaneer

#9 is EMI, yes. I assume you meant the Lucre Island map screen or "strolling about town" music? It's neither of those, though.

And #14 is MI2. Any guesses as to the location?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #137
I changed my title

# 10 - King's Quest 5 - Princess Cassima?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #138

I was wondering where the water sound in #13 was from, since it's too weak to be one of the big waterfalls, or the sea. I've tried going through the whole game in my mind, and I think I've finally got it: the map room.

And I'm guessing #20 is an unused track (or from a development build, or maybe a demo, or something similar) from MI2. It definitely sounds very MI2ish (and also like an MT-32 track played through a GM synth, which would again narrow the time frame).

EDIT: I've given #5 some more thought. It doesn't really ring a bell, BUT since all the other tracks are either Sierra or LucasArts (except maybe #20, but it's at least LEC-inspired), I'm going to assume that this one is too. Now, the only Sierra games I can think of with an Arabian setting are Camelot and QfG2, and this is neither of them. LucasArts haven't really used such a setting, except... in Zak McKracken (Cairo)! So I'm going to guess that it's from the FM-Towns version of Zak. I'll have to go and check.

(This is fun!)

EDIT2: I - WAS - RIGHT! (about Zak) Woohoo! Wow, that made my day! Remembering is fun, but getting stuck on a problem, thinking about it for a while, coming up with a complicated reasoning, and finally checking that it's right feels so much better. Come to think of it, that's mostly why I play adventure games. Or did, anyway, as it's been far too long since a game has made me feel that sort of elation.

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 09-06-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:54 PM   #139
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

*tries some more*

#2 - Heh. You know, now that I think of it, I do remember commenting to Spikey while working on SMC that one of the Quest For Glory tunes sounded very Space Quest-ish to me.

I could swear I know #3, but it's just not coming to me. Bah.

Now for some real guesses...

#8 is definitely Captain Quirk's motif. I'm going to try again that it's either his general theme, or when he's talking to his "contact".

Also, I'm going to defy Kurufinwe and make my own guess that #13 is the underwater cave thingy that Boston swims to.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Also, I'm going to defy Kurufinwe and make my own guess that #13 is the underwater cave thingy that Boston swims to.
Damn, I had forgotten about that room! And you might very well be right.

I guess I'll retaliate by pointing out that #8 has definitely nothing to do with Quirk, but rather with that psychopathic female robot (the WD-40; one of my favourite parts of the game, incidentally).