You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Journey Down development blog-thing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #1

Default The Journey Down development blog-thing.

Hey all!

Just droppin' a line to say me and Henrik (the animator on the commercial release of the Journey Down) have just started some form of development blog over at www.slxgames.com. For you who are curious about our JD progress and/or our general bantering regarding our other projects/tomfoolery, please, drop by! If people visit the damn thing we might actually bother keeping it updated too! ;D

In other news voicing is going good. A large part of the minor roles have already been recorded and set in stone. I'll make sure to post further updates on the games' progress as things happen!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #2

Updating with some new goodness from the devblog! Make sure to check it out. We are more or less doing daily updates

Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

Oh wow, this is awesome! Surely you must have shown this off at AGS but I must have missed it

But yeah, really excited about the Hd version, and loving what I see here! Will be so good to hear voices too. Good work Theo!

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #4

Amazing blog!
"The Journey Down: Over the Edge" was my favourite AGS game of the last year and I am looking forward to the continuation of the story.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
J.H
Frak.

I was literally thinking about two weeks ago "I wish there was a HD version of the Journey Down" and here it is. I'm speechless but excited. Great blog!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #6

Here's some new stuff from the devblog! I've started experimenting with the GUI design in the new HD version. The new wide-screen ratio poses some new problems that need to be though through. Any comments are appreciated

Sughly: Yeah I've been doing my best to spread the word, I'm glad you stumbled upon this thread anyhow Yes, I too am confident the voices will add A LOT to the experience.

drunk: I'm glad you're looking forward to the next chapter! This remake of the first chapter will be quite the ride in itself though, so don't miss out on it. Several new rooms, new puzzles, more backstory etc, etc.

J.H: Heh, I'm glad you like what you've seen so far. Let's hope we can keep up with your expectations!

This new release of The Journey Down is intended to be a commercial release, I wonder if this thread should perhaps be moved from the freeware adventure area? Or should I start a new thread properly introducing the project in the other area, and abandon this one? Any mods out there with opinions? Thanks.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

Looks great. I'll move the thread to the Adventure forum since this is going to be a commercial release.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #8

Wow looks amazing guys... It's really coming along nicely.
I can see a lot of hard work has gone into this....I will be getting the commercial
release for sure. Also cant wait to hear the voices.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #9

Fov: Thanks! Definitely belongs in this forum instead. Now that it's here though, I'd like to edit it to gear it more toward a general audience, rather than people who usually play free games and are likely to have seen the prototype, is there some way to edit the original post? I'm feeling like a n00b here -I can't for the life of me find an "edit" button?

Weare6: Thanks for the encouraging words! Keep your eyes peeled on the devblog, we'll most likely be posting a sneak peek at some voice work some time soon

Comments on our development are VERY much appreciated, we want to do everything possible to make the game as awesome as possible. Central to this is no doubts receiving feedback from real point 'n click gamers, such as the people hanging around these forums. So please, speak up!

Also, if you played the prototype, any thoughts on how we can improve from that are super-appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #10

i don't see a character in there,is it a first person adventure?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I'd like to edit it to gear it more toward a general audience, rather than people who usually play free games and are likely to have seen the prototype, is there some way to edit the original post?
It's probably too old for you to edit. Post whatever you want people to know about it and a moderator can add that info to the OP.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #12

The graphics look amazing and the music sounds really catchy!

This is the first time I've heard of this game (I've been very absent from the gaming world these past years and I'm slowly starting to realize what's going on), but what I saw really piked my appetite for a good adventuring session!

I'm looking forward for it, until then guess I'm gonna try out the prototype!
Old 04-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #13

Here's a new pic from the dev-blog! I just finished the interior of the cockpit, feels real good, this specific backdrop has haunted me a long time. I think it might have been one of the first backdrops I actually painted for the original prototype of JD, way before I actually new what I was doing, lol.

If you've played the prototype you'll likely spot a couple of differences, hopefully, to your liking!

jhetfield21: No, in the actual game you'll see the main character stroll around on the screen, similar to MI1,2,3 etc. The only reason you're not seeing him on these screens is since he still hasn't gone through our magic low-res to high-res filter. Check out the prototype if you're curious.

fov: OK thanks! I'll make a better introduction some time soon and hope a mod catches it and sticks it on top.

TechnoSpike: Thanks for the kind words! If you do try out the prototype, please, drop me a line with your feedback. I would appreciate it very much. Anything we can do to better the experience is of great interest to me. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 AM   #14

cool.........very nice artwork.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #15

jhetfield21: Thanks! I hope we'll be able to keep things in a style that pleases you. The tricky part comes when trying to combine the characters with our 2d backdrops, that will be a challenge, no doubts.

Henrik just updated the blog with a first pre-render of our new fancy 3d characters. Please note that this is NOT what the final scene will look like. Lighting, shading and other fancy shizzles still needs to be put in place, also the backdrop is going to be animated and obviously there will be music and more sound effects. This is merely a sneek peak at a work in progress. If you're curious, check it out on the devblog through the link in this picture:

Also, here's your chance to listen to the wonderful voice of Anthony Sardinha, who is also cast for the role of Bwana.

Comments, as always, are appreciated! Thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #16

Just dropping a line to say that voice work is coming along nicely! We've just updated the devblog with a new sample, this time of the Dockmaster (Voiced by Scott Stoked). Check it out by clicking his lovely un-rendered portrait below:

I'd love to hear your comments!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #17

Sorry for the late comment theo! I keep forgetting to drop by and see how things are going . I've seen most of those at your blog, but I missed the one higher up with the inventory along the bottom - looks VERY nice! I love the way you've redrawn them (or put them in higher res, whichever), and coming up over the bar from the bottom... beautiful!

It's interesting to see you write a little on moving into widescreen, I was wondering how you were going to manage that. How will the game look on a 4:3? Would it be letterboxed? And also, are you finding that you're cropping any of the top/bottom of any screens, and if so, losing any hotspots etc? Sorry for all the queries, just curious...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #18

Sughly: The beauty of this remake is that the backdrops have basically been widedscreen all along. The padding was all used for the different guis. This means that the actual backdrop art still has (almost) the exact same aspect ratio as the original. Some hotspots will however have to move a little, as to not interfere with the popup guis. But I'm hoping there won't need to be any major nudging.

Regarding letterboxing or padding, that's totally up to what AGS can help me do. Since the entire AGS engine recently became open sourced, this means WE can meddle with the resolution. Questions is if we can figure out how to do it.

I appreciate your interest. Keep the questions coming!

Here's another new screenie from the devblog. I'm happily painting away on the new room backdrops while Henrik keeps playing around with our rendering pipeline. Mathias has started scratching his head delving into the spaghetti code of the AGS engine, and Markus is, well, busy with other things. 8)'

Man I'd love to give Bwana unique frames in here sort of squeezing his body together against the cold. What a truly bad idea.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #19

Shit your guys work is beautiful! Seriously seriously impressive! I LOVE your colour palette.
Do you start off with a 3D block model, or just go straight into line art?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #20

Very nice new pic! I saw a sketch of this somewhere, on your blog maybe, but looks great!

I'm EXTREMELY keen to see what you guys do with the AGS code. I saw one of your team talking about it over in their forums, and the possibility of having support for higher res shared out to the AGS community is just...