You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What's up with dreamfall's bar names?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #21
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I googled Salty Seaman. It once meant and probably still does an actual seaman but if you read the urban dictionary definition -- ewwww.
I didnt think it meant anything, that it just sounds like salty semen....
Old 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #22
DAVE

Way to ruin the joke :|
Old 04-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #23
woof

wait...what?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #24
DAVE

Refer to my sig, you've been had.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:48 PM   #25
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanyeWest
I was rather surprised at the use of offensive language by some characters. Why just not leave that out and make the game suitable for childeren aswell? Its not like the game itself is such a challenge
Oh puh-LEEZ! There are TONS of games out there for the kiddies as it is. Screw them, I want more grown up games for ME. I got friends who swear every five minutes for cripe's sakes. Hell I SWEAR REGULARLY myself, and yeah, I'm well educated and cultured.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Even if the profanity and "suggestive themes" were taken out of Dreamfall, it would not in any way qualify as a kiddie game. Also, difficulty or challenge has nothing to do with it. Just look at the story and see if you can seriously classify Dreamfall as a game geared towards kids.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #27
OB

It's pretty down to earth and realistic to me. People, in general, speak this way. I've heard and said much worse.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:54 PM   #28

How do you define in general? In the past 4 weeks, I've only heard one person swear in the countless people i've talked and that was cause they were in the process of quiting smoking, talked to them several times since and they haven't sworn since. I hardly find swearing to be the norm.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:13 AM   #29
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

Just because you haven't talked to people who swear a lot doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:23 AM   #30
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Tuttle
How do you define in general? In the past 4 weeks, I've only heard one person swear in the countless people i've talked and that was cause they were in the process of quiting smoking, talked to them several times since and they haven't sworn since. I hardly find swearing to be the norm.

I know somebody who swears a lot, often without reason. And in the german language you can make words like the common word for "excrements" sound a lot more nasty than in English. I'm related to that person, and they live in the same house as I.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:25 AM   #31

rama you misunderstood, I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm disputing Orange Brat's claim that "People, In general speak this way" I'm claiming that people who swear often are the minority, not that they don't exist
Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 AM   #32
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

Okay. That's true then.

But still Marcus could very well be a real person, one of that minority.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 AM   #33
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
rama you misunderstood, I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm disputing Orange Brat's claim that "People, In general speak this way" I'm claiming that people who swear often are the minority, not that they don't exist
You should try living in Nothern Norway for a while. If you go one day without hearing swearing you should report it to the newspapers... If you don't swear there, your seriously in the minority.. I remember the kids at school used to tease me for not swearing..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-01-2006, 06:52 AM   #34
woof

Quote:
Dude take a trip to Scotland and youll be suprised
Old 05-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #35
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera
You should try living in Nothern Norway for a while. If you go one day without hearing swearing you should report it to the newspapers... If you don't swear there, your seriously in the minority.. I remember the kids at school used to tease me for not swearing..

I know how you feel, though I wasn't really teased. But I have problems using anything worse than "Mist" ("Manure") or "Scheibe(nkleister)" ("Pane of Glass"/"Pane of Glass-Glue". It's basically a harmless swearword for kiddies, as parents don't like to hear kids swearing. It's "Scheibenkleister" because "Scheibe" starts off sounding a bit like "Scheiße", which is the german version of "Sh*t".).

If I end up swearing really badly, I often regret it instantly. Even more so with really bad insults. I rarely insult people really badly, and I *always* feel bad if I have done so.

*sighs* I'm such a goody-two-shoes...but I can't help it.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #36
mockumentary

Send a message via MSN to Eyeball Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanyeWest
I was rather surprised at the use of offensive language by some characters. Why just not leave that out and make the game suitable for childeren aswell? Its not like the game itself is such a challenge
Trying to appeal to everyone too often get in the way of the storytelling and maturity. Look at the big CG feature nowadays. Most don't go beyond the "fast-paced comedy with trendy cultural references". Some of the films stick out as good, but overall the output of the big studios is clichéd and repetitive to say the least.

Last edited by Eyeball Kid; 05-01-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #37

In case you didn't know, medieval taverns also had similar "naughty" names, so it's not just toilet humor. A bar at the end of my street, which just happens to be to oldest bar in Amsterdam (somewhere 16th century), had a couple of 'naughty' names heavy on words like cock, balls, pussy etc. I guess people back then got easily cracked up
Old 05-01-2006, 02:32 PM   #38
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
I know how you feel, though I wasn't really teased. But I have problems using anything worse than "Mist" ("Manure") or "Scheibe(nkleister)" ("Pane of Glass"/"Pane of Glass-Glue". It's basically a harmless swearword for kiddies, as parents don't like to hear kids swearing. It's "Scheibenkleister" because "Scheibe" starts off sounding a bit like "Scheiße", which is the german version of "Sh*t".).

If I end up swearing really badly, I often regret it instantly. Even more so with really bad insults. I rarely insult people really badly, and I *always* feel bad if I have done so.

*sighs* I'm such a goody-two-shoes...but I can't help it.
How restrained of you. I tend to be of the view that swearing is neither big nor clever, and that one's meaning can be perfectly well expressed with other words, but I've become increasingly relaxed about such things, and I'm sure that I'm in a soon-to-be-criticised majority by being of this view.

Anyway, the signs. Yes, there are pubs called things like that. No, I don't think that these examples are either funny or clever. And no, it won't stop me from buying the game. May I presume that there are no bars/taverns/pubs that don't have names like this? Because, in the interests of realism - if that's really what people want - there probably should be some .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #39

Ha! I didn't even recognize these jokes when I saw them. I enjoy bawdy humor when it comes from unexpected places .

In sailing slang, "salty" has an alternate meaning of "suggestive of sea or sailing life" - I would also add that it connotes a sense of "seaworthiness", applied not only to ships but also to people. So it is not unusual to hear avid sailors say things like, "she's a salty ship" or "he's a salty sailor". In that respect, "The Salty Seaman" is using the word quite appropriately.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #40
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yini
In sailing slang, "salty" has an alternate meaning of "suggestive of sea or sailing life" - I would also add that it connotes a sense of "seaworthiness", applied not only to ships but also to people. So it is not unusual to hear avid sailors say things like, "she's a salty ship" or "he's a salty sailor". In that respect, "The Salty Seaman" is using the word quite appropriately.
Isn't that "butter on steak" or something (we have that expression in Norway, where it's butter on "flesk" but you don't seem to have a word for "flesk" (white thing on meat witch is very bad for you) besides "pork" witch is not what I'm looking for) my dictionary says that the expression I'm looking for is: "it's the same thing twice".

A seaman is a man that's experienced with the sea, isn't it? so why should you say "salty" seaman?

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery