Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   What's up with dreamfall's bar names? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/14639-whats-up-dreamfalls-bar-names.html)

AlejandroSV 04-29-2006 12:11 PM

What's up with dreamfall's bar names?

Hey, what's up with the names of the bars in dreamfall?
the salty seaman?
the cock and puss? (which btw has the best nuts in mercuria)
i don't remember toilet humor in TLJ

badmojo 04-29-2006 12:14 PM

Haha. Yeah, I posted something about that on the dreamfall forums the other day.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/355...00057ia.th.jpg

Lucien21 04-29-2006 12:17 PM

I thought it was funny :)

SoccerDude28 04-29-2006 12:48 PM

I didn't even notice them :crazy: Man I should watch more R rated movies.

Dasilva 04-30-2006 04:00 AM

The rooster & Cat bar? Whats so rude about that? :P

crabapple 04-30-2006 09:59 AM

And Roper F. Klacks...
We all know what the F stands for.

Erithan 04-30-2006 10:10 AM

eek that sounds terrible. Kinda sad to see a sequal to a great game go down the potty humor/sex joke lvl....the words arnt even mild! o.o

Spiwak 04-30-2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithan
eek that sounds terrible. Kinda sad to see a sequal to a great game go down the potty humor/sex joke lvl....the words arnt even mild! o.o

Who cares?

I recall some of the conversations in TLJ being rather racy, too.

Erithan 04-30-2006 10:21 AM

dont think any of was quite that extensive or bad though. Guess its really a matter of your personal taste in humor. Was just surprised moreover o.o(not that i should be with the trend of things nowlol)

KanyeWest 04-30-2006 11:49 AM

I was rather surprised at the use of offensive language by some characters. Why just not leave that out and make the game suitable for childeren aswell? Its not like the game itself is such a challenge :Z

Jake 04-30-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithan

Hahah! the game is ruined because it has bars with naughty names!

I guess reality is also ruined for that reason.

Catbert 04-30-2006 12:06 PM

Definitely not, but it's a nice dumbing down. There is smarter stuff than toilet humor. Although the ones in Dreamfall aren't that bad.

KanyeWest 04-30-2006 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake
Hahah! the game is ruined because it has bars with naughty names!

I guess reality is also ruined for that reason.

great comparison! :shifty:

Jake 04-30-2006 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KanyeWest
great comparison! :shifty:

I think it's a pretty good comparison. There are plenty of bars & pubs with extremely suspicious names in real life. Dreamfall includes some as well.

weemies 04-30-2006 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KanyeWest
I was rather surprised at the use of offensive language by some characters. Why just not leave that out and make the game suitable for childeren aswell? Its not like the game itself is such a challenge :Z

I'm definitely not at all for censorship, but I tend to agree here. I feel much of the cursing in this game came off as forced. Almost every time someone cursed, it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb, and not in a good, effective, way. It just doesn't fit the rest of the dialogue. Just my opinion.

NemelChelovek 04-30-2006 01:26 PM

The cursing didn't bother me at all; I know a guy who could BE Marcus in real life. People curse, and the game goes for realism...as far as a game about robot gorillas, dream machines, talking crows, and magical otherworlds can. And as for the bar names, I thought it was just hilarious. It wasn't a big part of the game, and it was something you kinda had to think about. A lot of people might not even notice it.

Jazhara7 04-30-2006 01:38 PM

I think I've grown immune to the naming traditions in fantasy worlds after having played tons of NWN.

No, seriously. Tavern names in medieval settings (and/or docks areas) are the one accepted outlet for toilet humour there is, it seems. It doesn't have to toilet humour, but I think a good guideline for finding a name for a tavern in a medieval or fantasy setting should be wheter or not it can be expressed only through pictures (since people back then couldn't read, the pub sign was a picture. The people then made the actual name which would stick in the end.).

So, the "Cock and Puss" would have...A rooster and a cat. The a people interpreting the sign make the final name, and that usually involves a good amount of ale (which leads us to the toilet humour).

I have no idea how the "Salty Seaman" would be expressed as one picture, though...

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

RLacey 04-30-2006 01:44 PM

Evidently a bad sense of humour is no bar to running a tavern inn any way whatsoever.

*guffaw*™

Melanie68 04-30-2006 01:45 PM

I googled Salty Seaman. It once meant and probably still does an actual seaman but if you read the urban dictionary definition -- ewwww. :crazy:

SamNMax 04-30-2006 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weemies
I feel much of the cursing in this game came off as forced. Almost every time someone cursed, it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb, and not in a good, effective, way. It just doesn't fit the rest of the dialogue. Just my opinion.

I've yet to play Dreamfall, but I feel the same way about The Longest Journey as well.