You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Is Longest Journey I the Best Graphic Adventure Ever Made (Yet?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #81
Adventure Game Researcher

Thanks I do plan to play it. I have heard Tom is great and did a fantastic job on this one. I am looking for a copy now and only have found one company in England that sells it. Do you know a source in the USA?

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #82
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I don't know who Tom is that you are referring to. Did you mean Trep? The game designer was Benoit Sokal.

Target, Walmart and a few odd places have had them for $10 ea. Amazon still has them at full price.

I noticed Amerzone on your list, so I was surprised to not see Syberia I & II there as well.

Lynsie
Old 01-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #83
Vigilant

That's the creator of Siberia, not Anachronox. Tom Hall designed and created Anachronox.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #84
Vigilant

And you can buy it from Amazon.com, Ebay, and basically any other big interenet seller for about $5-10 which is very reasonable for an AWESOME game.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #85
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV
Where in the game are those names, I am trying to recall them from what I remember.....?
I still think that Roper clack trapping solution is far-fetched (or I just missed some clue ingame explaining it). Concerning the names. When looking at a prisoner inside the police station April says "Tuvok?" instead of describing the prisoner. Aboard the White Dragon, when looking at the apple barrel, April says "Jim?" instead of describing the barrel. I'll just assume these names (there are probably more of them) are referrences to some tv-series or cast or developers or something...
Old 01-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #86
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack
That's the creator of Siberia, not Anachronox. Tom Hall designed and created Anachronox.

Because his post immediately followed mine, I thought he was addressing me - sorry!

Lynsie
Old 01-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #87

Hi Fairygodmother, Lynsie, yes I was talking about Tom who did Anacronox (and I AM sorry they did not get a chance to finish the story....though I understand there are some FAN improvements to it, like taxis to help get you from place to place, etc....)

Thanks, yes, I havent yet done Syberia I and II and plan to soon, indeed I am ordering them from one of my suppliers today, and look forward to seeing them.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, and for reminding me of Gamasutra, I have peeked at it, tho for years I wanted to just do my own slow and
private survey of everything, it is really interesting to emerge and listen to all of you and to learn the wider views....so thanks. and thanks also for the leads on getting Anacronox, and Syberia, I have avoided Amazon and E bay pretty much cause I dont like huge companies much and have collected a lot from old game stocks, rememants of company hoards and old collectors but maybe it will be easier to try one of the big places..

those names I remember now in LJ, I will ask the FunCom guys what they are, they are pretty swamped right now getting Dreamfall polished up, but
maybe i can get a word out them....they are pretty good about staying in touch with their fan base....and players out here. As you say, they may
be "easter eggs" about staff.

Thanks a lot

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-19-2006, 03:25 PM   #88
Lost in Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG
Aboard the White Dragon, when looking at the apple barrel, April says "Jim?" instead of describing the barrel. I'll just assume these names (there are probably more of them) are referrences to some tv-series or cast or developers or something...
It's a reference to Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, in which the protagonist, "Jim" hides in a barrel of apples to overhear Long John Silver talk of mutiny. In fact, one of the chapters of the novel is entitled "What I Heard in the Apple Barrel".
Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #89

Wow, You may be absolutely right, Jim Hawkins WAS the cabin boy narrator of the story who shipped with Squire Trelawny and Long John Silver as the cook on the good ship Hispanionla,.....what a thought. Very clever Ragnar. and Jim was hiding in the apple barrel
when he overheard the plot to capture the ship...!!!
I loved the ship scenes in LJ, they were beautifully
done, especially the openning cut scene of it sailing out of the Harbour.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-19-2006, 07:31 PM   #90
Lost in Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV
Wow, You may be absolutely right, Jim Hawkins WAS the cabin boy narrator of the story who shipped with Squire Trelawny and Long John Silver as the cook on the good ship Hispanionla,.....what a thought. Very clever Ragnar. and Jim was hiding in the apple barrel
when he overheard the plot to capture the ship...!!!
I loved the ship scenes in LJ, they were beautifully
done, especially the openning cut scene of it sailing out of the Harbour.
Yes, it's definitely a beautiful game. And great characters and story by today's standards. It was the first semi-modern game to "wow" me in years.

Also, adventure games are usually chock-full of allusions, if you can spot them. Many contain references to novels, films, even pop culture. Very post-modern.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #91
Iconoclast

The answer to the thread title: No.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #92
Banned User

Tuvok is a reference to the Vulcan character portrayed by Tim Russ in Star Trek: Voyager.

Christopher, I was totally bowled over by your artwork. You have a fantastic way with colour and light, vivid and striking as Van Gogh but with an infinitely more appealing palette. Your light is sharp and incisive as Roerich's and your works radiate the same unearthly invigorating quality.

Above all your work is crisp. That is rare and extremely inspiring.

www.adventurecompanion.com
Old 01-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #93
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo Sakari Aaltonen
Tuvok is a reference to the Vulcan character portrayed by Tim Russ in Star Trek: Voyager.
Was this Tuvok a prisoner? I've seen a few episodes of Voyager and I don''t recall any Tuvok being criminal...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #94
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emage
Atma does looks terrific, odd that it wasn't scooped up by someone else??
Who knows? It may just resurface in the future as something else, but with the same essence and concepts. The theme seems certainly fresh for a non-violent, cerebrally challenging, story driven game (none of it smells of the tired Templar/Egyptian/Atlantis thems); but as far as I can tell it's simply a story set in a mythic world, not necessarily the exploration of spirituality, philosophy, or symbolic states.

It could very well just be 'on ice' for the time being, although it was originaly conceived with noble intentions, and it was funded by university grant. My guess is that the money ran out and that the project became incredibly expensive the further it was developed.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-20-2006, 02:08 AM   #95
Banned User

Tuvok was the Vulcan security officer on the starship Voyager. He had dark skin and pointed ears and looked a lot like the guy at the police station in TLJ. Apparently the situation is of no relevance, just the physical resemblance. You can find lots of pictures online.

Incidentally the idea of people still watching ST: Voyager so far into the future qualifies TLJ as psychological horror.

Last edited by Simo Sakari Aaltonen; 01-20-2006 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #96

Simo,
Kiittää te erittäin hyvin ajaksi sinun hyvä huomautus model after minun ammatti. I-KIRJAIN lennättää te aakkonen.

Much appreciated. And thanks for the Tuvok revelation, I enjoy the little "gifts" that designers put into the games...

.Kiittää te jälleen.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #97
Banned User

You are very welcome. I should be the one thanking you!

If our species needs any one thing to make it, it is the kind of crisp and healthy vitality with which your paintings are illuminated... One can see how much you cherish life and nature. I am grateful to have seen your works of art.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #98

Thanks Simo,
I have had an indescribable feeling walking in a spring wood with the sunlight illuminating the leaves like thousands of light diamonds, watching a rain storm sweep in across the North Sea across vast
stretches of brooding mountains and peaks in Scotland, listened to the wind sing through the abandoned pillars of an ancient temple lost high in the desolate hills of Greece, chased the light through the passes of Colorado, and adventure games give me the same feeling at times, and I feel they can also be a special window on the world and ourseleves.....for what is creativity and art and
design but a magical gift that is created by our own spirit being moved or "in synch" with what we see, or create to show others, or what we experience, either in the outer world, or our inner worlds stimulated by song, story, music, and play? We are all artists, each in our own way, for we create our lives, our words, our thoughts, and we, each of us are unique, totally amazing creations ourselves, never to come again.

I am very much enjoying visiting this forum there are so many gifted, eloquent, insightful and creative people herein.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #99
Vigilant

That's quite poetic, Christian. I see why you had originally written in verse at the beginning of the thread.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #100
Lost in Adventure

Uh, what does IT stand for?