You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Is Longest Journey I the Best Graphic Adventure Ever Made (Yet?)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #61
Vigilant

Once upon a time, Lucas Arts mastered the Adventure Game. Not only did they create the most memorable moments of all time, but they did it consistantly. Undoubtably, LucasArts became famous with the creation of Star Wars games, and on an equal level, set a bar for adventure games forever. Unfortunatly, LucasArts ceased its creation of such after Schaefer and Walbeck decided that they had had enough with the endless complaints LucasArts had with the pace in which they created games. The garbage that flows from the company now only is themed Star Wars, milking the franchise without giving any of the games time to breath. There are some that are a success but they are far and few. For us adventure gamers, we have to wait for another powerhouse to climb out of the woodwork and make games like we knew them before, when plot, characters, and setting came together in masterful arts we know as GF, MI, Full Throttle, S&M, and others. This website does a better job than any others I have visited in giving us the most up to date info on upcoming games. I have created a list of games that has gotten larger and larger because of the magnitude of prospects appearing. Here's what I have got:

Runaway 2 - 2Q 2005

Dreamfall - spring 2006

Rumored "Beneath A Steel Sky 2" - 2006?

A Vampyre Story- June 2006

City of Metronome - 2006

Saphire Claw - 2Q 2006

Tough Tony - 1Q 2006

Project Overclocked- ??

Evenings On A Farm Near Dikanka- 2Q 2006

Disfranchised-?????

Culpa Innata- 2006

Simon The Sorcerer 4- 2006

Ankh- Febuary, 2006

Theseis- 2006

The Silver Lining (KQ Fan Game)- 2006-07

Who knows, maybe one of these games will make its way to the top. I hope so, but until then, we have something to look forward to.

Forgot Sam & Max 2- 2006-07.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 01-18-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #62
Super Moderator

Have you seen AG's release dates page?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #63
Master of time and space

Speaking of TLJ.
Spoiler:
I don't get why Roper Klacks gets trapped in the calculator. Can anyone explain that "logic"?

Also what's with the name references? So far I've found her say "Tuvok?" and "Jim?" ?.

Last edited by MdaG; 01-18-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #64
Adventure Game Researcher

As I understand it, Roger gets stuck in the *inventory item* mentioned
because it is from the other World, and also epitomizes that otherness
so much that it acts as a counter to his Achemical powers......

Thanks so much TangetBlack for the great list of upcomings,
do you have any details on.....
Thesis
City of Metronome
Culpa Innata

I had not heard of them and they sound interesting? thanks so much
for the list, another Simon, that would be great!

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #65
Lost in Adventure

Christian IV, what other graphical games have you played, just to get an idea of what you are comparing TLJ to?

Also, out of curiousity what is the signifigance of your alias?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #66
Vigilant

Well, as far as I know Theseis is an adventure game that is supposed to journey back to ancient Greece in Athens. The game looks like it will be for PC and possibly some next gen systems. I am quite excited about it as the graphics look picturesque and the story unique. Culpa Innata is an adventure by an independent company that delves into a futuristic utopian society similar to that of Huxley's Brave New World. Very smart and has much potential. The last, the City of Metronome looks the most innovative of them all; the game is based of sound entirely. For more details see these links to their homepages.

http://www.culpainnata.com/

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/624/624510p1.html

http://www.tarsier.se/metronome/

Hope you enjoy the wait for these games as long as I have. Their development will be an exciting one.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #67

Fair Question Lain, some of the games I have studied are:

Alida
Amber
Amerzone
Aura
Beyond Time
Castle (MAC-only)
Celtica
Chaos: A Fantasy Adventure
Comer
Cracking the Conspiracy
Crystal Key1
Crystal Key2
Dark Fall I
Dark Fall II (Lights Out)
Derek
Drowned God
Entombed
Forgotten, The
Frankenstein (Through the Eyes of the Monster)
Golden Gate
Isis
Lightbringer (Cydonia)
Lighthouse
Martian Chronicles, The
Milo
Mirage
Morpheus
Mummy, Tomb of the Pharoah
Nacah
NetZone
Nightfall 3 (MAC-only)
Obsidian
Qin
Reah
Rama
Rhem I
Rhem II
Riddle of the Sphinx
Riddle of the Sphinx II (The Omega Stone)
Schizm I
Schizm II (Mysterious Journey II) (3D)
Secrets of the Luxor
Sentinel (3D)
Shivers
Shivers II
Starship Titanic
Timelapse
Titanic, Dare to Discover
Zork Nemesis
Return to Zork

Myst
Riven
REAL Myst
URU
Myst III Exile
Myst IV Revelation
Myst V End of Ages

Quest and Puzzle Games with Historic or other themes
7th Guest, The
11th Hour, The
Alice - An Interactive Museum
Arrival, The 3
Atlantis The Lost Tales
Beyond Atlantis
Beyond Atlantis II
Atlantis Evolution
Bioscopia
Blackstone Chronicles, The
Capri (A Quiet Weekend In)
Chemicus
Connections
Eastern Mind
Egypt (Tomb of the Pharoah)
Egypt II (The Heliopolis Prophecy)
Egyptian Prophecy, The
Faust, Seven Games of the Soul
Gadget
JourneyMan Project 1
JourneyMan Project 2 (Buried in Time)
JourneyMan Project 3 (Legacy of Time)
L-Zone
Mystery of the Nautilus
Necronomicon
Noir, A Shadowy Thriller
Physicus
Pompeii, The Legend of Vesuvius
Sacred Amulet, The (aka Aztec)
SPQR (The Empire's Darkest Hour) (A hidden treaure!)
The Last Express
Titanic Adventure Out of Time
Versailles 1685
Welcome To The Future

PUZZLE GAMES
----------------------
Cassandra Galleries
Jewels of the Oracle
Jewels II (Gems of Darkness)
Labyrinth of Time
Magnetic
Pandora's Box
Safecracker
Xiama

Older Adventure Games

Legend of Kyrandia I
The Hand of Fate: Kyrandia II
Kyrandia III, Malcom's Revenge
Black Gate
Quest for Glory I, II, III, IV
Lands of Lore I, II
Space Quest I, II, III, IV, V
Storm Master
Arena
Monkey Island I, II
Dig
Loon
Phantasmagoria
Zelda
Graal (sort of a quest, not really a real adventure game)
Simon the Sorcerer I, II
Discworld I, II
Dune I, II
Chronomaster
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Secret of Mana 1, 2, 3 (A Japanese form of Zelda)
Beneath a Steel Sky
Canopia
Azaria's Maze
Karateka
Ween
Anachreon Dynasty
Curse of Enchantia
Flashback
Another World
Tintin: Prisionor of the Sun
Tintin, in Tibet
Rex Nebular
Betrayal at Krondor (sort of a mixed Adventure and RPlaying
Amareth
Prophecy
Thunderscape
Heart of China
Companions of Xanth
Ishar II
Pirates Sid Meyer
Prince of Persia I, II Sort of combo Adventure and consol scrolling: classics

My alias, Christian IV is a family name, from a small Austrian German
kingdom now vanished in the pages of history.....but that is another
story, as they say....

thanks again everyone, for such a great discussion herein.

Christain IV
Attached Images

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs

Last edited by Christian IV; 01-18-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #68

From a research discussion of my studies ....

"New Horizons:
"To my mind, present day computer games are ….. the most recent examples of a long tradition of works designed for the mind's eye -- the sharpest "virtual reality" of them all..."
Charles Cameron

Research Summary
The development of efficient and affordable personal computers has been a revolution in not only technology but also communication, education, entertainment, and creativity. All of these aspects of the IT revolution of the past 40 years also have made the use of personal computers and CGI one of the newest realms of personal development and reality integration. As more and more modern individuals are forced to lead increasingly urban and high pressure lives, many slower and more naturally paced chances for people to experience, consider and relate to their own personal reality and their own personality development are lost. The development of some unique and advanced ahead of their time games has led to this project of detailed research into the impact these Immersive and High Quality Experiential Titles, the main subject studied was the range of dynamic quest and adventure and puzzle games, including such classics as the Cyan Worlds Myst series, the remarkable literature of graphic adventures from the Kyrandia series and other productions of Westwood and LucasArts up to the more modern works of Ubi Soft,and many others which are just now in the early and mid 200O's producing a whole and new promising literature that combines very remarkable technical innovations with a revival of focus on story line, back story and content.

It is hoped that this high quality genre will continue to develop, for there have been some concerns over the popularity of much lower quality, indeed somteimes banal and egregiously violent game trends, the impact of widespread gratuitous fantasy based violence and aggression motifs found in film, TV and video-popular music culture have debased and threaten to continue to degrade taste among the younger population studied. The importance of higher end quality titles thus becomes even more important for maintaining public morals and social values at large.

Theory of Gaming

Gaming and the development of computer games can be said to be a continuation of the narrative traditions of literature, prose, poetry and other forms of story telling, reality integration. In the modern crisis of personal reality being impinged upon and dominated by mass society and steadily degrading daily life, in the area of quality of life issues, such release for individual angst and personal dreams and hopes and aspirations becomes even more essential and central than it has been historically throughout recorded history. It is a haven of personal freedom and expression and increasingly valueable, while at the same time being increasingly discounted in the media and some areas of the press. I choose to believe and have faith in the innate good judgement and taste of all of us, and think that many are waiting to see if we rise to the challenge posed by the new technology and media we have created, and many millions wait, having not yet entered the comptuer gaming world, waiting upon the quality and value I believe is just emerging in a new generation of gamers, designers and critics.

The use of the computer generated dynamic imagery offers much in the way of interaction for all of us, as the viewer and indeed draws the us into a more and more personal and interactive environment with ongoing work by designers and developers to create games that stimulate and involve not only the emotions and the innate "literature" of cultural stories, but also the intelligence and the intellect of the participant. This is progressing as AI or Artificial Intelligence in various forms become available for the coding of modern computer game creations. And in some ways the real AI is the combined qualities of any inner working of the game and the mind and sensitivity of the viewer combined, a new synthesis of man and machine that offers great potential for both.

"the fundamental qualities that make a good game have remained unchanged and elusive. Consumers still flock to buy original, engrossing, and fun games, leaving many highly publicized products with million-dollar budgets languishing in the $9.99 bin. These costly failures demonstrate that the consumer does not desire a cinematic experience, but rather a quality gaming experience." from ;-Sid Meier, game designer.

"There's a conflict between interactivity and storytelling: Most people imagine there's a spectrum between conventional written stories on one side and total interactivity on the other. But I believe that what you really have are two safe havens separated by a pit of hell that can absorb endless amounts of time, skill, and resources. " -Walter Freitag, game designer.

..............(My studies and thoughts on all of this continue....)

We live in exciting times when our technology and its powers, both innate and latent, often run ahead of our understanding of what to do with it, and what we can become as individuals and a society using the fullest potential of both our craft, technos and our own inherent intelligence, powers of observation and distillation and understanding, and our full range of emotions, hopes, aspirations, fears, dreams and desires. In my thinking
and feeling currently the horizons widen as our understanding deepens and
our expectations of ourselves and our machines increases.

To be in our feelings, and to listen to our own hopes and fears as both users, players and creators and producers concerning computer game design may sound like an meaningless platitude, but it also gives a possible clarity and direction for thought. The limitations we see presently, the failures of both game design and the game industry to keep up and promote the highest potential in the games literature are not unchangeable, we can start with individual choice on the part of the designer, the developer, the critic and the marketing staff, and the analyst and go from there to awareness on the part of the public, for themselves, and for their children, and for our society. This research continues on from this paper with this hope and vision.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #69

PS.

Some of the sources I have found useful in my research over the years
include:

and some sources I have used in my research:
Ralph Koster, Video Games and Online Worlds as Art, Game Week. 12 August 2005

Peter Brooks: Reading for the Plot. Knopf, New York, 1984. Harvard University Paperback Edition, 1992.

Geoff Howland. Game Design: The Essence of Computer Games
http://www.lupinegames.com/articles/essgames.htm

Greg Costikyan. I Have No Words and I Must Design

Cyan: Myst. Brøderbund, 1993.

Sharon Darling: "Byron Preiss and Ronald Martinez. Trillium Software Designers". In Compute's Gazette. December 1984.

Charles Cameron. Myst like Universities, Oxford Like Games?
http://home.earthlink.net/~hipbone/OxMyst.html

Charles Cameron. The MYSTS of Antiquity.
http://home.earthlink.net/~hipbone/Mysts.html

Charles Cameron. Games Lamas Play.
http://home.earthlink.net/~hipbone/GameLama.html\

Brad Meyers. A Brief History of Human-Computer Interaction Technology. Carnegie Mellon University.

Gerard Genette: Narrative Discourse. Cornell University Press, 1980.
ID Software:

Doom. GT Interactive, 1993.

Doom II. GT Interactive, 1994.

Quake. GT Interactive, 1997.

Infocom: "We unleash the world's most powerful graphics technology". Ad in Creative Computing. September 1983 p.112-113.

"And now for something incompletely different!". Ad in Compute's Gazette. December 1984, p.14-15.

Jesper Juul: Puls in Space. http://www.soup.dk/pspace, 1997. (Graphics: Mads Rydahl.)

Euro-Space. http://www.soup.dk/eurospace, 1998. (Graphics: Mads Rydahl.)

George P. Landow: Hypertext 2.0: The Convergence of Contemporary Critical Theory and Technology. Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997.

Sid Meier: A Revolution. In Game Developer. April-May 1997 p.72.

Alexey Pazhitnov: Tetris. Spectrum Holobyte, 1985.

Coons, S. "An Outline of the Requirements for a Computer-Aided Design System," in AFIPS Spring Joint Computer Conference. 1963. 23. pp. 299-304.

Engelbart, D. and English, W., "A Research Center for Augmenting Human Intellect." Reprinted in ACM SIGGRAPH Video Review, 1994., 1968. 106

English, W.K., Engelbart, D.C., and Berman, M.L., "Display Selection Techniques for Text Manipulation." IEEE Transactions on Human Factors in Electronics, 1967.
HFE-8(1)

C Pearce. Emergent authorship: the next interactive revolution Computers & Graphics, 2002 - cpandfriends.com UNCORRECTED PROOF Computers &
Graphics 0 (2001)

Goldberg, A., ed. A History of Personal Workstations. 1988, Addison-Wesley
Publishing Company: New York, NY. 537.

B Huber. Adding dimensions to GIS with VRML Directions Magazine (http://www. directionsmag. com). Viewed, 2000 - directionsmag.com

Goldberg, A. and Robson, D. "A Metaphor for User Interface Design," in
Proceedings of the 12th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences. 1979. 1. pp. 148-157.

Henderson Jr, D.A. "The Trillium User Interface Design Environment," in
Proceedings SIGCHI'86: Human Factors in Computing Systems. 1986. Boston, MA. pp. 221-227.

Johnson, T. "Sketchpad III: Three Dimensional Graphical Communication with a Digital Computer," in AFIPS Spring Joint Computer Conference. 1963. 23. pp. 347- 353

Charles Platt: "Interactive Entertainment". I Wired 3.09, 1995
http://www.wired.com/collections/rob...interact1.html
Taito: Space Invaders. 1977.

Levy, S., Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution. 1984, Garden City, NY: Anchor Press/Doubleday.

Licklider, J.C.R. and Taylor, R.W., "The computer as Communication Device." Sci. Tech., 1968. April: pp. 21-31.

Linton, M.A., Vlissides, J.M., and Calder, P.R., "Composing user interfaces with InterViews." IEEE Computer, 1989. 22(2): pp. 8-22.

Meyrowitz, N. and Van Dam, A., "Interactive Editing Systems: Part 1 and 2." ACM Computing Surveys, 1982. 14(3): pp. 321-352.

Myers, B.A., "The User Interface for Sapphire." IEEE Computer Graphics and
Applications, 1984. 4(12): pp. 13-23.

Myers, B.A., "A Taxonomy of User Interfaces for Window Managers." IEEE
Computer Graphics and Applications, 1988. 8(5): pp. 65-84.

Myers, B.A., "All the Widgets." SIGGRAPH Video Review, 1990. 57

Myers, B.A., "User Interface Software Tools." ACM Transactions on Computer
Human Interaction, 1995. 2(1): pp. 64-103.

Myers, B.A., et al., The Amulet V2.0 Reference Manual . Carnegie Mellon University Computer Science Department Report, Number, Feb, 1996. System available from http://www.cs.cmu.edu/amulet.

Myers, B.A., et al., "Garnet: Comprehensive Support for Graphical, Highly-
Interactive User Interfaces." IEEE Computer, 1990. 23(11): pp. 71-85.

Nelson, T. "A File Structure for the Complex, the Changing, and the Indeterminate," in Proceedings ACM National Conference. 1965. pp. 84-100.

Newman, W.M. "A System for Interactive Graphical Programming," in AFIPS
Spring Joint Computer Conference. 1968. 28. pp. 47-54.

. Nielsen, J., Multimedia and Hypertext: the Internet and Beyond. 1995, Boston: Academic Press Professional.

Palay, A.J., et al. "The Andrew Toolkit - An Overview," in Proceedings Winter
Usenix Technical Conference. 1988. Dallas, Tex. pp. 9-21.

Press, L., "Before the Altair: The History of Personal Computing." Communications of the ACM, 1993. 36(9): pp. 27-33.

Reddy, D.R., "Speech Recognition by Machine: A Review," in Readings in Speech Recognition, A. Waibel and K.-F. Lee, Editors. 1990, Morgan Kaufmann: San Mateo, CA. pp. 8-38.

Reddy, R., "To Dream the Possible Dream (Turing Award Lecture)."
Communications of the ACM, 1996. 39(5): pp. 105-112.

Robertson, G., Newell, A., and Ramakrishna, K., ZOG: A Man-Machine
Communication Philosophy . Carnegie Mellon University Technical Report Report, Number, August, 1977.

Ross, D. and Rodriguez, J. "Theoretical Foundations for the Computer-Aided Design System," in AFIPS Spring Joint Computer Conference. 1963. 23. pp. 305-322.

Rudisill, M., et al., Human-Computer Interface Design: Success Stories, Emerging Methods, and Real-World Context. 1996, San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers.

Scheifler, R.W. and Gettys, J., "The X Window System." ACM Transactions on
Graphics, 1986. 5(2): pp. 79-109.

Shneiderman, B., "Direct Manipulation: A Step Beyond Programming Languages." IEEE Computer, 1983. 16(8): pp. 57-69.

Smith, D.C., Pygmalion: A Computer Program to Model and Stimulate Creative
Thought. 1977, Basel, Stuttgart: Birkhauser Verlag. PhD Thesis, Stanford University Computer Science Department, 1975.

Smith, D.C., et al. "The Star User Interface: an Overview," in Proceedings of the 1982 National Computer Conference. 1982. AFIPS. pp. 515-528.

Stallman, R.M., Emacs: The Extensible, Customizable, Self-Documenting Display Editor . MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab Report, Number, Aug, 1979, 1979.

Sutherland, I.E. "SketchPad: A Man-Machine Graphical Communication System," in AFIPS Spring Joint Computer Conference. 1963. 23. pp. 329-346.

Swinehart, D., et al., "A Structural View of the Cedar Programming Environment." ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, 1986. 8(4): pp. 419-490.

Swinehart, D.C., Copilot: A Multiple Process Approach to Interactive Programming Systems. PhD Thesis, Computer Science Department Stanford University, 1974, SAIL Memo AIM-230 and CSD Report STAN-CS-74-412.

Teitelman, W., "A Display Oriented Programmer's Assistant." International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 1979. 11: pp. 157-187. Also Xerox PARC Technical Report CSL-77-3, Palo Alto, CA, March 8, 1977.

Tolliver, B., TVEdit . Stanford Time Sharing Memo Report, Number, March, 1965.

van Dam, A., et al. "A Hypertext Editing System for the 360," in Proceedings
Conference in Computer Graphics. 1969. University of Illinois.

van Dam, A. and Rice, D.E., "On-line Text Editing: A Survey." Computing Surveys, 1971. 3(3): pp. 93-114.

Williams, G., "The Lisa Computer System." Byte Magazine, 1983. 8(2): pp. 33-50.

Williams, G., "The Apple Macintosh Computer." Byte, 1984. 9(2): pp. 30-54.

Baecker, R., et al., "A Historical and Intellectual Perspective," in Readings in Human-Computer Interaction: Toward the Year 2000, Second Edition, R. Baecker, et al.,Editors. 1995, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc.: San Francisco. pp. 35-47.

Brooks, F. "The Computer "Scientist" as Toolsmith—Studies in Interactive Computer Graphics," in IFIP Conference Proceedings. 1977. pp. 625-634.

Burtnyk, N. and Wein, M., "Computer Generated Key Frame Animation." Journal Of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, 1971. 8(3): pp. 149-153.

Bush, V., "As We May Think." The Atlantic Monthly, 1945. 176(July): pp. 101-108.
Reprinted and discussed in interactions, 3(2), Mar 1996, pp. 35-67.

Buxton, W., et al. "Towards a Comprehensive User Interface Management System," in
Proceedings SIGGRAPH'83: Computer Graphics. 1983. Detroit, Mich. 17. pp. 35-42.

Card, S.K., "Pioneers and Settlers: Methods Used in Successful User Interface
Design," in Human-Computer Interface Design: Success Stories, Emerging Methods,
and Real-World Context, M. Rudisill, et al., Editors. 1996, Morgan Kaufmann
Publishers: San Francisco. pp. 122-169.

Jesper Juul: "A Clash between Game and Narrative". Paper presented at the Digital Arts
and Culture conference, Bergen, Norway, November 1998.
http://www.jesperjuul.net/text/clash...narrative.html

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #70

And:
Library of Computer Game Design Documents
http://www.erasmatazz.com/Library.html

Chris Crawford. The Art of Computer Game Design (1982)
Chris Crawford. Balance of Power (1985)
Chris Crawford. You Should Learn to Program (1988)
Chris Crawford. The Art of Interactivity Design (2001)
Chris Crawford. Chris Crawford on Game Design (2003)
Chris Crawford. Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling (2004)

The Journal of Computer Game Design Volume 1 (1987 - 1988)
The Journal of Computer Game Design Volume 2 (1988 - 1989)
The Journal of Computer Game Design Volume 3 (1989 - 1990)
The Journal of Computer Game Design Volume 4 (1990 - 1991)
The Journal of Computer Game Design Volume 5 (1991 - 1992)
The Journal of Computer Game Design Volume 6 (1992 - 1993)
Interactive Entertainment Design Volume 7 (1993 - 1994)
Interactive Entertainment Design Volume 8 (1994 - 1995)
Interactive Entertainment Design Volume 9 (1995 - 1996)

The Art of Computer Game Design (1982)
{link to Washington State University at Vancouver}

The Art of Computer Game Design (1982)
{link to downloadable pdf by Mario

Croteau} You Should Learn to Program (1985)

BA Myers, J Hollan, I Cruz -. A Brief History of Human Computer Interaction Technology Brad A. Myers December, 1996 CMU-CS-96-163 CMU-HCII-96-103

The Cursor. International Game Developers Network
http://www.igdn.com/

Hipbone Games
http://home.earthlink.net/~hipbone/index.html

International Content Market for Interactive Media
http://www.milia.com/App/homepage.cf...appname=100428

Computer Games Development Association
http://www.cgda.org/

International Game Developers Network
http://www.igdn.com/

Game Developer Magazine

E3Expo - Electronic Entertainment Expo
http://www.e3expo.com/

Game Developers Conference
http://www.gdconf.com/

Gaming Insider
http://www.gaminginsider.com/

Game Development Central
http://www.gdcentral.com/index.htm

I havent really kept up with the on line and most contemporary
magazine, reviews and reviewers as I have been really just
going through the literature on my own and seeing how things felt
and played........and am just now coming out of "lurking" and it is
very intereseting to hear from everyone.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-19-2006, 01:12 AM   #71
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV
As I understand it, Roger gets stuck in the *inventory item* mentioned
because it is from the other World, and also epitomizes that otherness
so much that it acts as a counter to his Achemical powers......
Huh ??? (I don't see the logic)

and the names?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #72
Vigilant

Hey, do either of these names ring a bell, Master of Space and Time?

Leon Russel

Sylvester "Sly" Boots
Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #73

Sorry that should have been Roper, not Roger for the alchemist. It is
a bit obscure perhaps, but in the line with the theme that Arcadia is
the realm of Magic or Chaos if you will, kindly chaos, but free and open
to magic, and Stark is the realm of Logic and Order, the item that she uses to "capture" Roper epitomizes the opposite of the realm he is in, i.e. Magic,
so he is "bound" by this alien "anti Matter" for his native realm, and thus
is captured and sucked into some sort of void between the worlds I suppose.

Where in the game are those names, I am trying to recall them from what I remember.....?

And by the by, I welcome suggestions to add to the list of Adv. Games
from the working list above, which is not exhaustive but many of those I have researched.....I did forget the King's Quest Series, the original and the
VGA remakes.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangentBlack
Hey, do either of these names ring a bell, Master of Space and Time?

Sylvester "Sly" Boots
That's Anachronox, right?
Old 01-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #75

Anachronox by Tom Hall and Ion Storm is one that I have wanted to try but havent yet. The game play sounds interesting, even though they only were able to do half the total story they wanted to do. I havent seen the movie made from the cutscenes either. Maybe will try for it soon. the back story is a bit like the Gateway worlds of the Heechee by Fred Pohl.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-19-2006, 08:47 AM   #76

Quote:
Anachronox by Tom Hall and Ion Storm is one that I have wanted to try but havent yet. The game play sounds interesting, even though they only were able to do half the total story they wanted to do. I havent seen the movie made from the cutscenes either. Maybe will try for it soon. the back story is a bit like the Gateway worlds of the Heechee by Fred Pohl.
If you don't mind RPGs (a la Final Fantasy), then Anachronox is an adventure gamers' delight that I recommend hearthily.

I still need to finish it, by the way (it's a damn long game).
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #77
Lost in Adventure

Quote:
From a research discussion of my studies ....
Wow, that is quite a mouthful, and an impressive list of games and books. Is your research under any university or company or is it independent?

Also, what is the main goal or point you are trying to prove in your research? Are you just delving into the adventure games, or are you working on a thesis paper of some kind?

Also, I can understand how games are an extension of literature and film, but am highly doubtful as to whether they will ever compare in scope and depth to the great classics. After all, most games seem like pure entertainment to me.

Also, I highly reccomend you check out Death Gate and Grim Fandango. Also, the King's Quest series if you haven't already.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #78

Thanks, I meant to put Death Gate up, yes it is a great one, and Kings Quest I added in a second note, I, II, III, IV, V, VI, but Not VII or VIII yet....sadly, and I promise to check out Grim Fandango...

I am an artist by profession (www.christophergerlach.com) and have become intrigued by the graphics aspects of the games genre as it has developed over the decades....and actually began some work in that area with code, algorythmn and design concepts and ended up patenting a new format that may be a threshold to new directions, but I became hesitant because I was and am concerned about how the capacity of CRT and other screen based IT to portray life yet limit the portrayal as well in some technical aspects involving how our eye-brain conceptualizatoin pathways work, which involve visual triggers and higher thought processes and overall interaction wtih our forumlations and memes of reality integration work. I had to do a lot of work to research the background and that ended up taking some years to prepare me to actually work with the games literature and other CGI such as simulation software and hardware for flight training, etc....all eventually will come together, but I am maybe half way through, I am doing it all on own funding to be free to go in any direction I feel useful without having to limit my thoughts by conforming to doctrine, or current academic or popular opinion or levels of accepted thought.

It has been and is quite an interesting journey and I am not sure yet where it will end up, and it is great to read the very interesting thoughts and feelings of the commuity here and in other forums on the net.

I do feel great and quiet movement happening with wide ranges of people, both in and outside of the CGI world and community re graphics, games, literature of all kinds. I am not sure of the games literature iwll equal or even reach the area culturally of written works or other media, but it is a possiblity. I have reservations about it all, but reserve judgement as much as possible to gather in the widest feeling of it all.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 01-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #79
Vigilant

Anachronox is a game I advocate next to Grim Fandango. It is my second favorite game if not tied with GF. I am the main admin at PlanetAnachronox.com and if you have time I definetly recommend the try. It really is a great Adventure Rpg hybrid and also is the funniest game I have ever played. If you want to see a little of the humor in action, I recommend watching the fan created Anachronox Movie at this site:

http://www.machinima.com/article.php?article=322

It is divided into many individual parts but you should only watch the beginning because the rest gives away the story. The first part is the intro to the game. Sadly, this game recieved little to no attetion because of Ion Storms lack of promotion. Tom Hall is a genius for creating such a powerful and memorable game such as this, and I strongly urge everyone who loves Sci Fi, Rpgs, humor, and adventures to play Anachronox.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #80
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I couldn't help but notice your extensive list of games - very impressive. I did notice that you hadn't played (or at least mentioned ) Syberia I & II. Our own Trep (Intrepid Homoludens aka Sector Blue) has done an excellent article on the symbolism in the game.
Syberia symbolism

Trep also did a 4 part series of articles called
"The Cold Hot Spot" that you might find interesting.

As an admin at Mystery Manor (MM), I joined Gamasutra, and get weekly updates of news and articles - you may want to consider this for the current state of affairs.

Lynsie