You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure game scene... uh, game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #4221

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
It's broken sword 1 lol. It's from the train scene.
Seriously ?!?!

Dammit

I could have sworn that it´s the BS 2.5 basement which
Spoiler:
catches fire later in the game
Old 04-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #4222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperEdy View Post
Circle of Blood is the American title of Broken Sword 1, inm8#2 was right all along (the pan is obviously for J-man)
Ohh of course I didn't realise that sorry.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #4223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
Seriously ?!?!

Dammit

I could have sworn that it´s the BS 2.5 basement which
Spoiler:
catches fire later in the game
lol Nah it's from the scene where
Spoiler:
pull the lever to avoid being shot, where khan dies

What did you think of 2.5? Thought it was a shambles personally.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #4224

Wow I was right! I kindly defer the next screenshot to whomever uploads it first, as I'm somewhat caught up in other stuff.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #4225

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
Wow I was right! I kindly defer the next screenshot to whomever uploads it first, as I'm somewhat caught up in other stuff.
Well, I already had an image prepared for if I ever got an answer right, so I might as well use it. The game has probably appeared at least once before in this thread, but perhaps it will still prove a challenge:

Old 04-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #4226

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktorbjorn View Post
but perhaps it will still prove a challenge
Perhaps too much of a challenge, so here's a small hint: The game is a 2D point-and-click game. The image is from one of the few animated cutscenes, so it's not really representative of the rest of the graphics. The image is cropped, but only to remove the large static border around it.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 AM   #4227

Another hint: The image is from the end of the game. Many who played it probably didn't get that far, since it's not that good a game and, from what I hear, many who did get that far still didn't get to see this particular image.

If that still doesn't help, I guess I'll have to post an in-game screenshot in a day or two.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #4228

Is it "Fable"? The outfit is definitely identical to that of the protagonist of that game. I don't remember any 3D animation, but I know the game was released with two different endings so perhaps this is the one I didn't see (or I just don't remember it - my version had the allegedly "bad" ending which I actually liked).
Old 04-14-2009, 06:03 AM   #4229

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageGothic View Post
Is it "Fable"? The outfit is definitely identical to that of the protagonist of that game.
Yes, it's Fable by Simbiosis Interactive. A somewhat frustrating game, I thought. The graphics are pretty, but the interface is a bit awkward. And then there's the ending...

Quote:
I don't remember any 3D animation, but I know the game was released with two different endings so perhaps this is the one I didn't see (or I just don't remember it - my version had the allegedly "bad" ending which I actually liked).
There is an animated cutscene at the beginning and one at the end. I've heard there were two different endings (which is why I wrote that not everyone who got that far saw this particular image). I haven't seen the other one, though. I think the one I have is the bad one because...

Spoiler:
...apparently the entire adventure was just a figment of the protagonist's imagination. He's been spending most of his life in jail for having killed his entire family with a frozen mackerel at the age of three.

Last edited by eriktorbjorn; 04-14-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #4230

Oh, so it was the same as I played then... strange, I don't remember it being 3D at all, but I know that I watched it multiple times just to enjoy the WTF factor of it.

As far as I understand, the UK version had two endings:

Spoiler:
The one with the prison/asylum, and another where you are crushed by a cave-in

But there was also a US version where they tried to make a happier ending, but according to reviews failed miserably. What happens in this version, I don't know, and it's near impossible to google due to Lionhead's more popular game with the same title.

Ok, then. Since you guys are such masters at guessing obscure adventure games, here's a real curio. This game was released in a limited language region, there's hardly any info about it on the internet (Mobygames doesn't even list it), and screenshots are nigh impossible to find. In fact I booted up Windows 98, installed the game and took screenshots a few weeks ago, because my editor needed them for an article and had searched the internet in vain.

As a hint, I can say that the company behind the game is still active (in fact they released a game about a month ago) but now working in very different game genres.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #4231

Blackout?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #4232

Damn, that was quick! I really didn't expect that. Kudos! Yes, it is indeed the psycho-thriller adventure Blackout from Danish developer Deadline Games (who went on to do the Robert Rodriguez-inspired third person shooter Total Overdose and recently released a beat-em-up game based on the Watchmen movie).
As far as I know, Blackout was only ever released in Danish, Swedish and possibly Norwegian. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. But it's definitely one of the most interesting games from the FMV era - similar to The Dark Eye in many ways - and I wish it had reached a wider audience. Even in Denmark the only people that I've talked to who knew about it are either game journalists or academics studying video games.

Since there's so few screenshots online, I'll use this opportunity to post a couple of more screens of the beautiful model backdrops and puppet characters (or rather, since these are dialog close-ups, they are actually people in latex masks - the guys playing pool in the background are puppets):

Your turn, HandsFree! May I also ask how you knew about the game?

Last edited by GarageGothic; 04-14-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #4233

Quote:
But there was also a US version where they tried to make a happier ending, but according to reviews failed miserably. What happens in this version, I don't know, and it's near impossible to google due to Lionhead's more popular game with the same title.
I tried finding some information about it a while ago. I found a walkthrough which claimed that Quickthorpe's girlfriend (Wannette, I guess) is in it, and one review which claimed the ending was basically "You saved me, Mario!" Nothing definitive, though. Does anyone know for sure?

The ending I get is...

Spoiler:
After solving the final puzzle, there's a brief animation of Quickthorpe raising his arms triumphantly. Then, with little or no warning, there's a cutscene of him at a table, closing a book, getting up and walking slowly to a barred door, while a narrator is saying:

"Good morning, Quickthorpe. How's my favorite master of the matrix doing today? You know, I still can't figure out how you ever managed to murder your entire family with a frozen mackerel, at the age of three. You're a special case, alright. Anyway, I guess there's no need to remind you: Today's your special day; the big two-one. The rest of the prisoners have all chipped in for you cake: Triple-layer chunky chocolate maggot. Your favorite. See you next year."

And then the end credits roll.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #4234
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Sounds like the game isn't that great, but those Blackout screenshots look pretty sweet, GarageGothic. Unique style. Thanks for sharing them!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #4235
I am the boss of you

Quote:
This game was released in a limited language region, there's hardly any info about it on the internet (Mobygames doesn't even list it), and screenshots are nigh impossible to find. In fact I booted up Windows 98, installed the game and took screenshots a few weeks ago, because my editor needed them for an article and had searched the internet in vain.
Next time just ask, there are 14 pictures here http://justadventure.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1182932759/615 (yeah, someone used that game in a similar thread before).
Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #4236

Haha, seems it was more of a challenge the first time around . It's been a while since I visited the Just Adventure forums. Too bad the screenshots from that thread don't show up on Google image search. I hope that naming my files blackout1.jpg and so on will mean they'll be indexed eventually.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #4237

Quote:
Your turn, HandsFree! May I also ask how you knew about the game?
The Mystery Manor tournament last fall left me with a lot of trivial knowledge. Blackout wasn't in it, but I think I found some info on it while looking for something else.

In Fable I got the same ending as everyone else. Is it really true there is an other ending as well? How do you trigger that?

They gave up on this one at GameBoomers, but I trust it won't take long here...
Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #4238

The info about the alternate UK ending to Fable was found in this gamespot review.

Spoiler:
But it does sound strange that the cave-in should be considered a true ending rather than just a regular death scene, I wonder if it's animated in the same style as the prison ending to set it apart from the rest of the game?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #4239
I am the boss of you

The toy hold by the child is like the one in Death Gate
Old 04-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #4240

It must be Death Gate then.
Your turn SuperEdy.