You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Why did you first play an Adventure Game?

View Poll Results: Why did you first play an Adventure Game?
Saw a friend playing one. Got interested. 14 19.44%
Saw parents or other relatives playing one. Got interested. 19 26.39%
Saw an ad in a movie, comic book, on TV - someplace other than a game shop. 4 5.56%
Saw one in a non-game shop like Staples, Walmart, etc. and bought it out of curiosity. 1 1.39%
Saw one in a game shop when looking for a different game. 3 4.17%
Got one free with computer hardware. 6 8.33%
Other. 25 34.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 04:13 AM   #21

The brothers of my former girl friend were playing Monkey Island 1 on a shiny new 286 with 16MHz and a turbo button to switch between 8 and 16Mhz . I wanted one too and so my carrier as a gamer started... (we were playing Prince of Persia at school at that time too)
Old 02-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #22
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I got my first PC in 1986, and got Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy soon after. I had no idea this was based on a book, and had no clue what I was doing, but I laughed a lot trying this. Fast forward to 2001, I'd moved in with this guy I knew, and happened to come across Beyond Atlantis in a Staples store. It was cheap, and looked interesting, so I bought it. I thought it was gorgeous, but I had no idea how to play it. This guy and I sat down one night and played it together for about 5 hours, then another night for about 3 more hours. I thought this was heaven! He got me copies of one of the LSL games, and Eric the Unready, which were fun, but not my thing, really. Then he got me TLJ, and I was hooked for good!

FGM
Old 02-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #23
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I found "The Secret of Monkey Island", Monkey Island 2, and Monkey Island 3 at my cousin's house.

I just played them, because the boxes looked interesting (I didn't play any specific genre back then), and I liked the game.

Of course, when that happened, I didn't know that I had 'played' "The Secret of Monkey Island" years before, without knowing the game title, or genre.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 02-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #24
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I watched as my brother played Secret of Monkey Island and/or Zak MacKracken.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 02-02-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #25
Commander of chest

My uncle was addicted, so he spread the disease...

Those moments on the Amiga 500, please insert Monkey Island 2 disk 12...
Old 02-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #26
Dungeon Master

Saw a friend playing three. Got interested.

I think I may have posted it before, but anyway: my friend and - at the time - neighbour had this technological wonder called Amiga. I've seen him playing plenty of games and even were allowed to play on my own sometimes (you see, I was maybe 8 and he was whole three years older, so he seemed almost adult to me). He played a variety of games - but the ones that really sparkled my imagination were few that were based mainly on talking and solving puzzles: today I remember only Sam and Max, Goblins 3 (not sure about this one, but it started on a playing ship) and Nippon Safes. I instantly knew that's what I want to play when I get my own computer - whenever that comes.

"That" happened when I was thirteen and a half. The (same) friend lent me some games to try, of which I installed the one that had "adventure" printed on the cover (Blade Runner). Adventuring turned out just as good as I had remembered and the rest is history... Never got to complete any of the games that originally got me hooked, though.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:09 PM   #27
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Les portes du Temps (dunno their english names).
Time Gate?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #28
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Nope, "Les Portes du Temps" is a much older french text game, with graphics where you travelled in time at 4 periods (including prehistory, feudal Japan...)!
It was pretty nice if I remember well, but my standards have changed (because of my increased lazyness )
Old 02-05-2005, 02:25 AM   #29
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Hey Guys!! Back from the military for a short period of time..I´m on "vacation" this weekend..I´ve really missed you guys!
But back on the subject..My first introduction to adventure games when a friend borrowed me an copy of Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis..That game really impressed my and from that time forward I was "in love" with adventure games..
Old 02-05-2005, 05:23 AM   #30
Αγαπώ την Κέρκυρα

"Other"

Why?

Because although I am an Unreal Tournament/RPG junkie I needed something whereby I could use my brain, and really get my teeth into something. Besides, I love the feeling of playing these games as I would love to just go on my own little adventure someday; you know, just pack my gear and walk out the door and go wherever me feet take me.

The only thing I dont like about them is the frustration sometimes of spending ages to figure something out eg: the Marble Puzzle on Riven seemed to take me forever!!

I am glad I got into them as now I cant stop playing them!!!
Old 02-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #31
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

My friend showed me a demo of Sam N' Max on a PC Format Gold CD back around 1994. I didn't really go looking for adventure games after that but I was particularly more intrested in playing those if I came across them.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:43 AM   #32
Obligated Sinner

Send a message via AIM to Strawberry Gashes Send a message via MSN to Strawberry Gashes

I was interested by Broken Sword for the Game Boy Advance..and eventually I ended up playing it and falling in love with it.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:21 AM   #33
Est. 1985

In the early 90s, my dad introduced me to The Secret Of Monkey Island. My brother and I had our own savegames, and always wanted to get on the computer to continue playing. I must admit it was slightly competitive too. I guess we both wanted to finish first. I distinctly remember my dad coming home with the Monkey Island 2 box a few months later, and thinking the cover was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. He said we couldn't play it until we finished the first game, and I'm grateful for that - MI2 was all the more sweet when I finally got to it after the hours of puzzling on Monkey Island (sometimes tough for an eight-year-old). Good times.

So SoMI was my first adventure game, though I didn't think in 'genres' til a few years later. I think my first game of any genre was Prince Of Persia, a little while before.

Last edited by Simon; 02-06-2005 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:01 AM   #34

My uncle gave me Monkey Island 1 when I was just a squirt and I fell in love. My friend and I used to have sleep overs and beat the games in one night. My friend has since died from childrens lucemia so the old LA and Sierra games that we played have a very special place in my heart.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #35

I watched my brother play adventure games and a new adventure lover was born
Old 02-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #36
Adventure Collector

Other: basically I suck in any other type of games that require quick reflexes. Adventure games and a little RPG's are my bread and butter.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:28 AM   #37
Click on what!

Default It started with...

It began with Colossal Cave, but I really got going when I played Myst. Seem to play adventures in the main. About to begin "Sentinel: Descentants..."
Old 02-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #38

Other. We had just gotten a C64 in the middle of the 80's. My mom saw Zork while shopping, thought it would be something I'd like because of the freaky skeleton thing on the cover, and bought it for me. Now, she didn't know that the game was text only, and at that age, I didn't know too much english. I think back then, I only got to the troll before I gave up. The next adventure I played was Maniac Mansion. The review for it was a bit confusing, but the game itself was great AND featured german on-screen text... I played it so much that when Zak McKracken was soon to be released, I went to the mall nearly every day after school to see whether it was already out. In the end, my mom bought that one for me too when she saw it on the way home in another part of the city.

Oh, as for Zork - I bought the Lost Treasures of Infocom for the Amiga seven or eight years later, and then I finally completed Zork. Does that set some kind of record like "Game that took you longest to complete"?

Edit: Wow, I just noticed that it is pretty hard to find a scan of the cover... anyway, I'm talking about this one.

Last edited by Stalker; 02-14-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:12 AM   #39
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Say, does anyone else remember those "awesome" classic adventures Mummies Curse (yes, that was the spelling, beats me) and Transylvania for the Apple II on 5 1/4-inch floppies??? I didn't think so.

It was my uncle's computer in 1985, and my sister and I always wanted to play on it when we visited him and my grandparents! Other games included Critical Mass, Masquerade, The Tracer Sanction, Death in the Caribbean, Dallas Quest (!)... (Hey, this post could go into the "When did you first play?" thread too!)

I missed these games so much that I wound up downloading an Apple II emulator just to replay all of these and tons more!

Now, I'm continuing the tradition (not that it was a tradition to begin with ) by introducing adventure games to my younger cousin! I started him on the Myst games a few years ago when he was ten (with minimal hints from me!) and then we moved on to The Crystal Key (oops, bad choice ), the Monkey Island games and Grim Fandango, and more recently, the Simon the Sorcerer games, Flight of the Amazon Queen and Beneath a Steel Sky (both on ScummVM) and just last weekend, Zork: Grand Inquisitor! He prefers the 3rd-person, inventory-based point & click games over the 1st-person puzzle games like Alida and RHEM, but I'm trying to change that!

Last edited by Trunkyo; 02-15-2005 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #40
Graceful Assassin

Umm... How DID I get into adventure games? It's not so long ago...
Well I remember downloading Kyrandia without knowing what it was and deleting it because I found it kinda... weird. That was my very first adventure game (without knowing it was an adventure game). The first adventure game that I really played was Myst. I've read somewhere that Myst is a MUST for every gamer so I got a copy of the Masterpiece Edition. When looking for better hints than the ones in-game on google I found adventure game sites. On those sites I've read about third person adventure games, became intrested, downloaded some amateur games and liked them.