You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Question about Bad Mojo early in

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #1

Default Question about Bad Mojo early in

Hi AG community,

I am currently playing Bad Mojo at a slow place exploring everything.
Now I found that in the beginning of the game there are two ways to get from the table with the vacuum to the floor of the room.

Spoiler:
First one is via the flipping matchbook. You'll simply get catapulted on the floor. Very easy and boring way.

The more interesting way is creating a power cut and taking a long route through the trash can and over the table with paint.

My question is: What path to take?
Are there late game consequences? Or does it really not matter which path you take?

I also don't get the design motive behind this. Why create such an easy accesible shortcut as to miss a cool part of the game?

Last edited by Melanie68; 11-07-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
I am currently playing Bad Mojo... My question is: What path to take?
Are there late game consequences? Or does it really not matter which path you take?
Spoiler:
By all means - take the longer route (switch off the vacuum cleaner and go through the garbage can). Why? Because 1) you'll find some interesting reading on the way that will help you understand better what's going on and 2) you'll eventually reach a very important place for the final stage of the game.

Quote:
I also don't get the design motive behind this. Why create such an easy accesible shortcut as to miss a cool part of the game?
They wanted to punish those looking for easy way round, I guess.

Quote:
I am playing Bad Mojo at a slow place exploring everything.
That's the best (and most enjoyable) way to play Bad Mojo. Keep up a good work cause BM is such a gem. I envy you for playing it.

Last edited by zobraks; 11-07-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Quote:
I am currently playing Bad Mojo at a slow place exploring everything.
Aahhhh... Bad Mojo.... wonderful game, in my top ten. I loved every minute of it, including the music. Beats me why people want one cookie-cutter game after another when you can play unique creative ones. Roger is the best criminal anti-hero with an attitude. I was already sold after I'd watched the great intro with the way-over-the-top acting. "All my life I felt helpless, cheated, stepped-on, the square peg, the forgotten on." Poor Roger with his rat-hole appartment and dead-end job... breaks your heart, doesn't it.

Quote:
I'm sure you remember that your beloved TLE did this as well. Makes gameplay more interesting. And unlike TLE you get a fair warning because Mom talks about both options in the cut-scene.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Aahhhh... Bad Mojo.... wonderful game, in my top ten. I loved every minute of it, including the music.
They broke the mold when they made it. It's one of my all-time favo(u)rites too.

Quote:
Beats me why people want one cookie-cutter game after another when you can play unique creative ones.
Well... knowing how people generally are it's not a big surprise at all.

Quote:
Roger is the best criminal anti-hero with an attitude. ... with the way-over-the-top acting.
Michael X. Sommers should have been shot on spot for that acting .

Quote:
And unlike TLE you get a fair warning because Mom talks about both options in the cut-scene.
Yeah, Mom talks, but in such a way that I couldn't understand much . The only flaw of BM (in my, hearing-impaired person's, opinion) is the lack of subtitles . All the important clues are in those cutscenes and I had a hard time understanding Susan Volkan .
Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 AM   #5
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
They broke the mold when they made it. It's one of my all-time favo(u)rites too.
I know... you offered to lead a community playthrough. Unfortunately, the more recent AG playthroughs have a way of dragging on and on and petering out into nothing. But I'm still interested in replaying it (for the third time ) and/or discussing it with other fans. IMO, three or four people are all that's needed to start a Bad Mojo discussion thread. No voting, no need to make it an official community playthrough.

Quote:
Yeah, Mom talks, but in such a way that I couldn't understand much . The only flaw of BM (in my, hearing-impaired person's, opinion) is the lack of subtitles . All the important clues are in those cutscenes and I had a hard time understanding Susan Volkan .
Every self-respecting game should have subtitles. I sometimes wonder if native English speakers realise how hard it can be for non-natives, with all the background noise, music, accents, etc. Here's Mom's text as I understand it (thanks to youtube):

The wind well will suck you into the belly of a beast.
Its blowhole will catapult you to the south and to the east.
One way there is peril, hardship and dismay.
One way brings you closer to the Dominican cashier.
But there is another option, another clever tack:
You may evade the wind machine with a bold high-wire act.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
I know... you offered to lead a community playthrough.
If my English had been better (it's difficult to write an introduction to a playthrough when you now only 317 English words ) I would have started a Bad Mojo playthrough here a year ago.
Now I know 432 English words .

Quote:
I'm still interested in replaying it (for the third time ) and/or discussing it with other fans. IMO, three or four people are all that's needed to start a Bad Mojo discussion thread. No voting, no need to make it an official community playthrough.
Yeah, voting (and democracy in general ) sucks . The best way to start a community playthrough is to declare it open and go on with it - people will join eventually. It doesn't matter how many players there are, the more important thing is how determined they are.

Quote:
Every self-respecting game should have subtitles. I sometimes wonder if native English speakers realise how hard it can be for non-natives, with all the background noise, music, accents, etc.
I couldn't agree more with you on that. Sometimes I don't even understand what is spoken (for example in a film) in my own language, and figuring out what Angelina was saying was really hard (with music blasting around at the same time and all). Thank you very much for Mom's text .
Old 11-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
If my English had been better (it's difficult to write an introduction to a playthrough when you now only 317 English words ) I would have started a Bad Mojo playthrough here a year ago.
Now I know 432 English words .
Great! When do we start?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #8

Yes, yes, yes, i'm in, too.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Great! When do we start?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
Yes, yes, yes, i'm in, too.
Well, I've noticed you two write great comments and so there's enough people for the Bad Mojo playthrough as far as I am concerned. The only problem is that there's an official playthrough still going on (although it seems to get stuck ) so perhaps it would be proper to wait until it's over. Or we could start the unofficial low-profile playthrough. What do you think?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #10
Senior *female* member

We agreed it wouldn't be an official AG community playthrough, it will simply be a Bad Mojo discussion thread. No sticky. And besides, AFGNCAAP swore he wouldn't let the Sanitarium playthrough die, but that's exactly what he did. So let's get cracking!

PS: It's been done before, by the way. Colpet and Jelena (I think) did an unofficial playthrough of Zork Nemesis.

PPS: Okay, that's just my opinion. Maybe I was a bit hasty. If you guys decide it's better to wait, fine with me.

Last edited by Fien; 11-08-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
Lazy Bee

Oh, maybe I should join this one, but knowing how difficult it's for me to even finish Sanitarium (not blaming AFGNCAAP in any way here, I'm just too busy to find the time to really sit down and enjoy a game) I'm not promising anything.

I started Bad Mojo quite some time ago, but never got into it and thus never got any positive vibes from it.
I got stuck and then gave up, but I've thought about following a w/t to come further and hopefully see what I so far haven't seen/experienced that others have.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #12

I'm torn.
On one hand want to finish the Sanitarium playthrough, on the other hand i want to start a new one which is more ... alive.
And it would be nice if more people would join in.
Why can't there be two playthroughs at the same time?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
We agreed it wouldn't be an official AG community playthrough, it will simply be a Bad Mojo discussion thread. No sticky. And besides, AFGNCAAP swore he wouldn't let the Sanitarium playthrough die, but that's exactly what he did. So let's get cracking!
OK, I agree with this. It will be an unofficial playthrough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Oh, maybe I should join this one, but knowing how difficult it's for me to even finish Sanitarium... I'm not promising anything.
Have no worry, Jelena - Bad Mojo is much shorter than Sanitarium and puzzles are much simpler and I think we'll go at slow pace with Bad Mojo so everyone interested in it could catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I started Bad Mojo quite some time ago, but never got into it and thus never got any positive vibes from it.
I got stuck and then gave up, but I've thought about following a w/t to come further and hopefully see what I so far haven't seen/experienced that others have.
I think taking a part in a BM playthrough is precisely what you need .

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
... i want to start a new one which is more ... alive.
And it would be nice if more people would join in.
Why can't there be two playthroughs at the same time?
Yes, why indeed? I believe people will eventually join in when they see there are a couple of us who are serious about pushing the Bad Mojo playthrough to the end. I know enthusiasm is a catchy disease .

All right then, I've decided to cut the knot and declare that Bad Mojo (Redux) playthrough will start soon. If there are no objections I will be the benevolent dictat... er... game master of it and I will open a new theme and slip in some kind of introduction with basic rules, technical advice and stuff.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:25 PM   #14

At your service, dear dictat... er... master.