You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default Favourite Sherlock story/novel?

A standard question. You seem (at least Wael Amr does) to know quite a lot of original Arthur Conan Doyle's work. What is your favourite Holmes' adventure and why? Would you consider adapting it for a game one day?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
A standard question. You seem (at least Wael Amr does) to know quite a lot of original Arthur Conan Doyle's work. What is your favourite Holmes' adventure and why? Would you consider adapting it for a game one day?

the two first novel "a study in scarlet" and "the sign of four" are very interesting, very exciting about Holmes creation by ACD, the are also long enough to get deeply in Holmes personnality, all the elements of Holmes behavior are described. in his way of investigation, his dependance of the admiration of his friend, his disdain of the force. he is a tower of strength and he is a powerless lion in a cage when he has no cerebral activity, he is passion and he is ready to stop leaving when he doesn't have material for his brain, he is excessive in his coldness and his warmness, he is ten galaxies away of a dark hair, self confident, white teethed, big muscle, hollywood boy, Sherlock is human.

Adapting one of the four novel or one of the 56 novellete was not the most interesting idea, as I didn't wish to adapt ACD works. for example the hound fo the baskervilles with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee is excellent, but I didn't like this idea of palmed hands for the baskerville family. Any adaptation of ACD works would have require a modification of both story and dialogs, and I really didn't like it. so we found the novel "case of Sherringford hall", written by a fan, and is was perfect, a full respect of the triumvirat Holmes, Watson, Lestrade. An excellent story, excellent dialogs (that we had to reduce to 30% of the original, but it broke my heart). I think we'll continue in this way for the next game, have an excellent story and try to have the realization at the same level.