You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default Around the World in 80 Days - book vs. game

80 days was one of my favourite books ever, so I had to ask:

As much positive feedback as the Journey to the Centre of the Earth gained, the game didn't take much after Jules Verne's book, save the title and the basic idea. What would be the case with Around the World in 80 days; can we hope to play through Fileas Fogg's adventures or is at as loose an adaptation as an upcoming Jackie Chan movie (*shrug*)?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
80 days was one of my favourite books ever, so I had to ask:

As much positive feedback as the Journey to the Centre of the Earth gained, the game didn't take much after Jules Verne's book, save the title and the basic idea. What would be the case with Around the World in 80 days; can we hope to play through Fileas Fogg's adventures or is at as loose an adaptation as an upcoming Jackie Chan movie (*shrug*)?
I don't know if you read "journey to the center of the earth" from Jules Verne, the book is divided in three parts and three hundred pages, so almost 100 pages for one part (sorry for this calculation detail) and the three parts are:
- going to Islandia
- going down in the tunnels
- visiting cowardly the center of the earth and going back through the volcano

we decided that the two first parts were not interesting, as they were not bringing any interest to the adventure and discovery (solving enigmas in a library somewhere in Europe and then visiting tunnels is not extremely fascinating), so remain the third part, in which Axel and Lidenbrock act very cowardly : they see a giant humanoid acting as a shepard for mamoth's (does that remind you something?) and they....leave, they spend their little time down just to notice few elements for a possible return. Briefly, if the book is a great open door to all the movies and adaptation which followed, it is clearly impossible to follow striclty the storyline if you want to make an entertaining creation.

Our choice was to get all the elements described in the book and extend them to give them a logical and interesting value.

the game is very successfull in France by the way

for 80 days game we wanted to have the same storyline than the book spite we will not play Fogg as he is a pretty uninteresting character (once again if you read the book) he is described as motionless, who doesn't care about anything or anyone, except the nice and 20 years old younger indian girl who grew up in england (how convenient how love requires cultural similarities in the 19th century). Jules Verne says that Fogg mad a bet and is making a his "around the wolrd thing" playing bridge, and travel like a suitcase or a satellite. besides I didn't want to change Fogg characters, he belongs to Verne, but we hear about him during the whole story of the game.
Also what is interesting in Verne is his capacity of invention and anticipation, so the cities are changed in their architecture with strange, and useful and not so useful inventions. Around the world in 80 days as a novel is not based on anticipation but only with real elements of the 19th century and I wished to have a part of discovery and fantasy with the technical inventions of Jules Verne.