You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Reader Reviews Just finished Full Throttle, opinion inside...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #1

Default Just finished Full Throttle, opinion inside...

My view of the game:

Bad points

Very Short

Two sections of ridiculously frustrating action sequences that you can’t skip. I felt there was no logic involved in first section. Also I thought the controls were absolutely terrible in the second section which causes it to be quite time consuming, however the first is much more time consuming.

A few puzzles are made hard in a way that kind of made me feel cheated

Spoiler:
The oil tower - hiding in an unlabeled area, the cave where you get the ramp from - use ramp to perform action on some unlabeled objects (I was also surprised by this solution due to the fact I thought the lights would be bolted down or something, which is more logical, isn't it?) and Todd's trailer - unlabeled lift is useable if stepped on.

Pixel hunting in parts

Spoiler:
Kicking the brick wall to gain entrance to the factory, finding the location where you use the controls for the big magnet thing inside the junk yard and possibly the location of the safe, this may of been hard to see however due to being tired.

Good points

The dialogue is excellently voiced and scripted

Some great humour

Interesting though pretty basic story which results in a brilliant ending

Interesting characters but not much infomation is given on them

Some good puzzles

The puzzles are all logical

Other points

Something made the game feel quite simple and prevented me from becoming that immersed in it. This is because of something like the basic plot/the basic amount of information given on the characters/the negativeness I felt because of the action sequences, or a combination of these aspects.

The game is lined with a depressed tone. By this I mean, the main character's voice sounds like it is full of pain and some of the things him and other characters say, as well as plot elements, are pretty gloomy. I was not prepared for this very much and at first I did not like it, it grew on me very much though. I think the main character is very mysterious and has the potential to develop much, much more if a sequel was ever made, it seems like he's been through hell and back.

Rock-ish (for lack of a better name/s) music is the game's main genre of music but I don't like most rock-ish music and I didn't like the rock-ish music in it. However, I think it went well with it when I was listening but mostly I blanked it out of my mind. On the music topic actually, remember that song playing in Todd's trailer, Emmet's truck, and the ending credits. It's called Increased chances by Chitlins, Whiskey and Skirt. What a messed up song!

The population is greatly decreased,
And now the odds are grealy increased,
That I may someday get a chance to kiss your lips.
I thank the Lord each day for the apocalypse.

Folks are mostly disfigured or dead,
But sugar, I won't let it go to my head.
My Mamma's face has dripped down into the dirt,
But I'm still chasing Chitlins, Whiskey and Skirt

At least that's what I thought when I heard it.

Anyways, I agree with this site's score of 3.5/5.

Edit: I have decided to omit something I listed as a bad point, this was, "I was slightly annoyed by not being able to skip the cut scenes shown when backtracking to some locations". The reason for this is, I looked back on my experience playing the game and decided it was not annoying enough to be included.

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 12-20-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #2

The story, plot and world is written so that you don't really need a lot of background on the characters to feel immersed in the game. It's almost episodic but in my opinion it didn't hurt the game. There wasn't many character driven games back then so I wasn't expecting much more.

My only negative on the game was how short it was and many of the puzzles had been used in just about every Lucas Arts / Films games prior to it.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I've always liked Full Throttle but I've never loved it. The game is fun and a good way to kill a few hours but it's so incredibly short and easy - I finished it in one sitting the first time I played it - that it feels light and disposable instead of having that usual classic Lucasarts depth. There are great moments in it and it's definitely one that needs to be played but I don't think it ranks up there with Tim Schafer's best like Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango, it's just kind of a nice breezy one-off in between.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #4

I did not think of the simplicity or the fact that I didn't get that immersed in it as that bad, but just how it was (which is why they were not included in the "Bad" section). I didn't expect anything from it when I started playing apart from it to be short, to have some action sequences in it and to be a bit darker than most games I have played. I had in my head that it's a very popular game though.

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 12-18-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
She Wants Revenge

I always liked the game, not my top5 or anything but charming and definitely on the better side. Also I have replayed it at least twice so it's pretty good in that manner too.

About the action sequences. Usually I don't even remember there were some. The canyon fighting thing was rather easy imo, and actually pretty fun. And I think failing didn't really give you any penalty(?). The car thing was something I couldn't master on my first or second playthrough I think but it could be skipped. Don't remember if there was some others.

Characters and the humour is great and while the puzzles aren't as good as DoTT for instance, they're still pretty solid and not horribly hard.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #6

i tried it, but got stuck a few times and quite frankly wasn't really pulled in by the game. so i quit it but have it on my list to play again down the line.

it was the game that taught me i was terrible at figuring out puzzles, because it was supposed to be easy, but i got stuck in the same places you did Dan. so at least i know im not totally dumb.

so yeah there were some odd design choices. (in my opinion of course)

Spoiler:
the whole dog meat thing was pretty tough. i couldn't place it in one car that didn't work. why would it work in the blue car of all cars. and i needed a guide for it because after trying it once i didn't think that was going to ever work.

same thing with hiding police, i thought that might be the solution, but didn;t find that exact place right in the corner the first time (still found a highly shadowed place, when it didn't work, yet again i ruled it out.)

but as i said,i put it back on a long list. so in a year or so when i try it again and have (probably) forgotten most things, hopefully i will be better at puzzles and it should be more fun.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #7

Bunnies!!!!! Bunnies !!!!!!

Thats the first thing that comes to mind...

Anyway, I played it just a few years back, I didn't quite liked the voice acting and that canyon puzzle, but I enjoyed it overall.

Does anyone know why they cancelled the sequal?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #8

Hey millenia, I have just checked a couple walkthroughs to see if you are right about being able to skip the second action sequence however they did not mention this. Also, yes there was no propper penalty caused by losing in the first section apart from having to fight them again, if it's an important battle, however it can take quite a while to find them to fight again, something which annoyed me massively. Myself, I hated this section. I could not see any logic in it, it had bad controls and it was very repetitive. Reading these walkthroughs though has told me there were logical solutions to some of these fights, but I think I won by doing something else in most of these. I think It may of been better if I looked at them as "puzzles" a bit more.

And Idrisguitar, about the first paragraph in your spoiler section:

Spoiler:
I don't think it's restricted to the car's colour but the location of the car (putting it in a car to the far west of the screen). This is from reading a couple walkthroughs just a moment ago.

And yeah, the bunny bits were funny, the way Ben asks for them, the actual "bit", lol. Also, you may not be aware but theres a bonus bunny scene:

Spoiler:
When you need to stop the shareholder's meeting you can pick up an additional bunny box. If you do this, the box will be avalible to use when you are on the bad guys truck. When your at this section you can use the box on the fan inside the truck's grill, this causes Ben to shred each bunny one by one, with the Ride of the Valkyries playing. This is just a bonus scene however and has no effect on anything.

About Full Throttle 2:

In spring 2000, LucasArts began production of Full Throttle: Payback, an official sequel to continue the storyline of Full Throttle. Since Tim Schafer had already left the company at the time, Larry Ahern, who was involved in the original game's development, was appointed the project lead and Bill Tiller, the art director. Both Ahern and Tiller left LucasArts in 2001, after Payback was canceled. At the early stages, the project received positive feedback from other LucasArts employees but according to Tiller, it eventually fell apart because of disagreements on the game style between the productive team and "a particularly influential person" within the management, which lead to a series of "mistakes". The production ceased in November 2000, when 25% of the levels and about 40% of the preproduction art were complete. LucasArts never released an official statement regarding the game cancellation

(Source, Wikipedia)

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 12-19-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #9

About the bonus bunny scene:
I didn't know that!
I'm gonna replay a bit till the truck scene .Thanks!
BUNNIES!!! HI! Hi!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
Schattenjäger

I played and finished full throttle for the first time about 6 months ago. There were alot of good things about it. It felt epic, charming, and generally well put together. But it falls short of excellent because of the annoying puzzles (the whole mine road motorcycle thing). And i blasted through it in a couple sittings. As epic as the end sequence was, it just felt over way too fast.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
Mik

I did really enjoy FT, although it was way too short. Anyway, I still think it's the weakest adventure by Lucasarts, but it's still worth it.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Schattenjäger

theres alot of lucas arts games i havnt played. But i definitely liked full throttle better than "the dig".