You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 02:59 AM   #21
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Yep, that did the trick, thanks Zanthia I totally owe you one.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
Imagine that 5 years ago you spilled a lot of blood, sweat and tears creating a game and eventually managed to sell it commercially. Over time, as tends to happen, the sales dropped off gradually until you decided to stop selling it any more due to the costs involved and moved onto other projects. Then today you find out that someone is selling (as some sites do) or giving away your game (possibly in a cracked format, so that errors might occur, just as they did to the game in this thread, thereby compromising the good name of the game).
I disagree with this.
I downloaded Homeworld (Gateway2) as abandonware, and I frequently mention it as one of my 5 favorite AGs, whereas I'd never have heard of it weren't for abandonware.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:16 AM   #23
23 Railway Cuttings

If you had bothered to read the rest of my post you would have seen that there are ways round abandonware that are potentially legal.

But I suppose you're too lazy to actually source a genuine copy yourself since it is just so easy to go the Underdogs and quickly download it.

While you're doing that kind of thing, why not just go to some warez sites and download some stuff there then ?

My point is - where are you drawing the line ?

I mean, they've got Santiarium on their website for download. Yet Sanitarium is still being sold today (albeit hard to find outside the US). They've got both System Shocks for download as well, which are also available for purchase.

What really surprises me though is not pirates like yourself, but the fact that the IDSA and their affiliates have not shut the Underdogs down.

It happened to Napster.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
If you had bothered to read the rest of my post you would have seen that there are ways round abandonware that are potentially legal.

But I suppose you're too lazy to actually source a genuine copy yourself since it is just so easy to go the Underdogs and quickly download it.

While you're doing that kind of thing, why not just go to some warez sites and download some stuff there then ?

My point is - where are you drawing the line ?

I mean, they've got Santiarium on their website for download. Yet Sanitarium is still being sold today (albeit hard to find outside the US). They've got both System Shocks for download as well, which are also available for purchase.

What really surprises me though is not pirates like yourself, but the fact that the IDSA and their affiliates have not shut the Underdogs down.

It happened to Napster.
Your post is kind of aggressive, is it?
Anyway...

What do you mean by "source a genuine copy yourself"?

And I draw the line where games are not sold anymore. Meaning that I think Sanitarium shouldn't be available to download on the underdogs, while the Legend games should be.

EDIT: Note that I would jump on a release of a old Legend games bundle if it were ever to see the light, which is highly unlikely, because, as you said, both sides are to blame.
You know, I've spend 10 years looking for Death Gate in France and even in the states. And I've never found it before the underdogs.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #25
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I wander if someone could clear up another small Discworld related issue I have.

This concerns the fishmonger puzzle. I've seen screenshots where there is an Octopus sitting on the fish stall, accept in the game it's not there. I was wandering whether this is normal, and the Octopus will show up later, or if maybe something is f***ed and the game has been rendered incomplete able.

I'm not looking for a puzzle solution, just checking that there's nothing amiss with this Octopus thing.

It's a brilliant game by the way, probably the best adventure game I've played in ages.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!