You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2004, 09:36 AM   #1
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Default Discworld 1 save game problem

Hi,
I just started playing Discworld which is nice, but it turns out I can't save my game. When I save a game it appears to work all right, but when I go to load up a game there's nothing there.

Anyone have any ideas?
Cheers.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-18-2004, 04:01 AM   #2
23 Railway Cuttings

Which operating system are you running ?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Windows XP.

I suppose I should also mention that I actually downloaded it in the form of a bit torrent, which a) makes me a downright dirty thief , and b) Probably accounts for the fact that it doesn't work right.

Frankly I was shocked it even worked in the first place.

Ah well.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 10-18-2004, 09:58 AM   #4
23 Railway Cuttings

I am afraid that pirated copies of games are rightly frowned upon in these forums for any number of good reasons.

I would advise you to check eBay or similar periodically for a copy - they do come up quite often. And even if you do have to shell out £20-£30 for a copy, remember that, once you have completed the game, you will be able to resell it on eBay for the same amount of money, so you effectively get the game for free !
Old 10-18-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
DAVE

I think the underdogs has a version of the game, I actually played it a couple weeks ago and it was fine. I also think if it's in the underdogs there's no problem getting it from there.

Dunno what the underdogs is? www.google.com
Old 10-18-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
23 Railway Cuttings

Actually, while I empathise with the idea that since these games are no longer available to buy new it is OK to release them as "abandonware", it is simply NOT legal to distribute them without the copyright owner's permission - and Underdogs certainly does not have that permission for Discworld 1.

I simply can't understand why the copyright owners of these games don't re-release them again - you only have to look at the prices some of them fetch on eBay to see that it would be worthwhile producing another run of their games.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Evil Webmaster

I guess they're all busy releasing Fps or something!

As for your problem, don't know what to say, I found it hard to run the game without at least using VDMSound and I had probs even with that.
So there you go
Old 10-18-2004, 02:47 PM   #8
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcclayton
Actually, while I empathise with the idea that since these games are no longer available to buy new it is OK to release them as "abandonware", it is simply NOT legal to distribute them without the copyright owner's permission - and Underdogs certainly does not have that permission for Discworld 1.

I simply can't understand why the copyright owners of these games don't re-release them again - you only have to look at the prices some of them fetch on eBay to see that it would be worthwhile producing another run of their games.
Why not? Psygnosis was closed long ago and the game is rather old. Besides, try checking the site and search for games like Gabriel Knight and such. If they don't have permission, they don't post the game, simple.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #9
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
Why not? Psygnosis was closed long ago and the game is rather old. Besides, try checking the site and search for games like Gabriel Knight and such. If they don't have permission, they don't post the game, simple.
Actually, the policy of abandonware sites is to not post games that they have been told not to, rather than, as you are suggesting, to get permission to post games before they do.

Regardless of individual beliefs in this area, abandonware remains illegal, and as such links to it are prohibited at AG.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #10
DAVE

I see. Well, you're always learning, right?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:08 AM   #11
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Well anyway, thanks for the help guys.

I guess I could attempt the game in a one-er, though I probably don't fancy my chances much, seeing as it's apparently one of most difficult adventure games to complete without a walkthrough.

Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 AM   #12
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed

I guess I could attempt the game in a one-er, though I probably don't fancy my chances much, seeing as it's apparently one of most difficult adventure games to complete without a walkthrough.

It's not THAT difficult...

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed

Plus it's very long. I suggest you find another copy (legal or not ), one that allows you to save.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Actually, the policy of abandonware sites is to not post games that they have been told not to, rather than, as you are suggesting, to get permission to post games before they do.

Regardless of individual beliefs in this area, abandonware remains illegal, and as such links to it are prohibited at AG.
Abandonware is illegal, but widly acccepted. I'm not sure why links to the underdogs or some such should be forbidden, since this kind of site obviously does a lot of good to the adventure community. Oh well...
Old 10-20-2004, 04:33 AM   #15
DAVE

I think it's because it's like telling someone where to score dope. Here it's illegal. It's just the same, helping someone commit illegalities is in itself illegal.

Then again, I did start playing adventures with a game I got from the underdogs
Old 10-20-2004, 04:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert
I think it's because it's like telling someone where to score dope. Here it's illegal. It's just the same, helping someone commit illegalities is in itself illegal.
Except there's nothing much in common between scoring dope and downloading abandonware, because downloading abandonware hurts no one.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:02 AM   #17
DAVE

Yes it does, law concerning. You're downloading copyrighted stuff, it's as much illegal downloading old stuff as new stuff if they're both copyrighted.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:19 AM   #18
Evil Webmaster

Yup, with the main difference being that nobody is gonna sue you for downloading Caesar 2 (btw the first Caesar is freeware), but they are gonna do it for downloading Fifa 2005.

Well, stick to Caesar II says I!
So there you go
Old 10-20-2004, 05:37 AM   #19
23 Railway Cuttings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Abandonware is illegal, but widly acccepted. I'm not sure why links to the underdogs or some such should be forbidden, since this kind of site obviously does a lot of good to the adventure community. Oh well...
There is a very good article on Brass Lantern about this and you can read it HERE

But it simply boils down to this:

Imagine that 5 years ago you spilled a lot of blood, sweat and tears creating a game and eventually managed to sell it commercially. Over time, as tends to happen, the sales dropped off gradually until you decided to stop selling it any more due to the costs involved and moved onto other projects. Then today you find out that someone is selling (as some sites do) or giving away your game (possibly in a cracked format, so that errors might occur, just as they did to the game in this thread, thereby compromising the good name of the game).

How would you feel ?

You'd probably feel a lot better if someone contacted you and expressed their interest in the game and asked you to release it as freeware or shareware so that today's game players would have a chance of playing your game the way it should be played. It is a fact that on many occasions this technique has actually worked. There are of course many software houses who just can't be bothered to do this and I totally agree with the argument that the onus is on both sides (both those who want to play, and those who own the copyright).

So what's the answer ?

Good question. One possibility for a more positive route would be for someone to set up a liaison group that could help bridge the gap between the two parties (e.g. interest is expressed in a certain game, the group would then attempt to track down the copyright holders to try to get their permission to re-release the game in question).

Well, just a thought...
Old 10-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #20
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Seed, your game probaly is not on main disk. Create on main disk a folder with a name of a game(C:/dsceld or something like this, it doesn't have 2 b C, the disk on wheach your game r.) In that folder creat folder SAVE(or SAVES- I don't remember exactly). You will have no problems with saving after that.