You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems X-Files tips to run ok in windows XP

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
danilovski

Default X-Files tips to run ok in windows XP

All u need to run the game ok, I'll tell here, do it as i say and the game should run ok.

1: Install the game, i maked a full instalation here, 3.5 G, but u could make the install of ur choice =))
2: after the game install all, desinstall quick time in control panel (all quick time things that u see in remove programs, and remove all files when asked)
3: go to (http://www.info.apple.com/usen/quicktime/) and clic on (QuickTime 4: Installer (For Older Windows Systems)) in downloads and updates section.
5: When the download finish, extract the 2 files to a temp directory and install clicing in the .exe file.
6: if you done all ok, the game should run ok, with no chooping scratchings on the sound and videos runnng fine, and the little animations of the questions under the screen showing fine.

One last thing, u could go where you installed the game and clic with the right mouse button in the "XFiles.exe", chose propertiers (i don't know if i wrote right), compatibility, and choose compatibility with windows NT 4 SP 5, and cilc ok.

if u try the quick time that comes with the game in cd 1, the sound will be a crap, if you try the newers quick times, the game will crash, use the version 4 as i said, ok?????

any questions that anyone wanna make, do it, i'll answer the fast as i can =)))

bye

Last edited by danilovski; 05-26-2004 at 01:04 AM.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:13 AM   #2
Under pressure.

Thanks man, this could be valuable information. I couldn't get the game to run under XP at all, so I'll try out your suggestions when I'm back from work.

--Erwin
Old 05-26-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

I was able to run it using the QuickTime that came with the game... didn't have to download anything from Apple... but you're right that it'll crash if your version of QuickTime is too new.

-emily
Old 05-26-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
danilovski

Default yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I was able to run it using the QuickTime that came with the game... didn't have to download anything from Apple... but you're right that it'll crash if your version of QuickTime is too new.

-emily
the game will run with any quick time from 3.0 and above, but in windows XP, only will works with the 4.0, the link off the apple is from the olders quick times for windows, without any crash. From the 5.0 version and above, the game will run ok, but the little animations of the questions that is show under the screen, like when willmore enter the fbi, will not be displayed, but earlier the game will crash to windows, you could use Control + alt +delete to close the error and continue with the game, but the animations will not be display.
if you use only the 3.0 version (comes with the game in cd 1), the game will run too, but the sound will be a crap, like i said in my first message, so, install only the version 4.0, link is above, and the game will run perfectly fine, and all working. =)))

Old 05-26-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
fov
Rattenmonster

It probably depends on your configuration. I ran the game on XP, initially using a new version of quicktime (whatever installed with Law & Order) and the game ran fine -- sound, animations, and all -- except it would crash with certain movies (like when Willmore tried to look at his desk). Since this kept me from progressing, I asked for help and someone on another board suggested I uninstall Quicktime and install the version that came with my game CD. I did -- the sound and animations didn't change, the only change was that the game no longer crashed when I tried to look at Willmore's desk!

I don't doubt there are configurations for which my solution don't work. I've had to do a ton of tweaking on games others have had no trouble with. But in my case, the Quicktime that came with the game *did* work fine, and I didn't have any of the sound or display problems you're describing.

I do remember initially having a little crackly sound, but I fixed that using the sound controls in the game.

-emily
Old 05-26-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I asked for help and someone on another board suggested I uninstall Quicktime and install the version that came with my game CD.
Quicktime is a complete pain in the bum. So many games now fail to work and create a myriad of errors just because you have a different version than they're were designed to work with. The fun I had when I purchased Law&Order and In Memoriam during the same shopping spree - each one wanted a slightly different version of Quicktime to work properly.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:01 AM   #7

Default Still having problems with XP!

C:|WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

That is what I recieve when clicking install on the menu when it comes up. Either button, 'Ignore' or 'Close' just close the Windows subsystem box and the computer doesn't do anything.

Someone please help me, i just bought the game off E-Bay, and I can't get passed this.

I would be much appreciated if someone had the answer

Write back ASAP.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:22 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forums!

Have you tried putting the installer in win95 or win98 compatibility mode before you run it? It sounds like the installer is checking your system and doesn't want to install because it thinks you're using NT (which XP technically is). Compatibility mode should solve that problem.

-emily
Old 08-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #9

Thanks I'll try it,

How do i go about changing the compatibility mode?

I can't find it.

Joe.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

First, find the installer file on your X-Files CD (it's probably called something like install.exe or setup.exe). Right-click this file, and select Properties. Then select the Compatibility tab. From here, you can select several different options (256 colors, 640x480 resolution, win95 mode, etc.) I think the only one you need to worry about is putting it in win95 or win98 mode for this issue.

Once the game is installed, you can follow the same process to put the game's .exe file in compatibility mode.

-emily
Old 08-17-2004, 09:52 AM   #11

Hey,

It still seems to be giving me the same message.

Its such a pain in the ass!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:04 AM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

How are you trying to install - is it from a menu that comes up when you insert the CD?

Have you tried to run the installation program directly from the CD instead?

-emily
Old 08-17-2004, 11:44 AM   #13

Yeah, i've tried both ways.

Do you think it would work if I typed setup exe. in 'run'

Anyone help?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:51 AM   #14
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm sorry, I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

I will take a look at the game tonight when I get home and see if I can think of something else for you to try.

-emily
Old 08-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #15

You're a Gem,

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Or further help in your case.

Cheers me lovely!
Old 08-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #16

Default Still having some problems

I've tried to remove Quicktime 6.0, but even after uninstalling, it's still there. After searching everywhere, I found it in under Windows/system32. My computer tells me not to delete anything from that folder or it will mess up my computer. Any suggestions?

Also, after messing with Quicktime for a while, I tried playing the game again but the sound before the main menu wouldn't work. Once I started playing, the sound was working (it wasn't working at all before). I wanted to changed something under Options, but when I returned to the game, the sound was off completely. There's something going on here....

Last edited by danakscully64; 08-26-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:35 AM   #17
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum Dana!

Have you tried removing Quicktime from the Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel? That should remove anything that the uninstaller hasn't gotten rid of.

Don't know what to tell you about the sound. What sound card do you have?

-emily
Old 08-30-2004, 02:28 PM   #18

Hello. Thank you.

I tried to remove it from Add/Remove, but it's still there. I did something when I was messing with my computer and the sound works, but only for a while. If I save the game and try to go back to it, the sound stops working. Same thing happens when I insert the next disk. I have to completely exit the game and start it up again. I really don't mind, as long as it works!
Old 10-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lewis150
C:|WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

That is what I recieve when clicking install on the menu when it comes up. Either button, 'Ignore' or 'Close' just close the Windows subsystem box and the computer doesn't do anything.

Someone please help me, i just bought the game off E-Bay, and I can't get passed this.

I would be much appreciated if someone had the answer

Write back ASAP.
I had this problem too. Goto cwindows\repair
you will find autoexec.nt there
Right click on the file and click copy
goto cwindows\system32
right click on the FOLDER and click paste

There is a spyware bug that infects this file so programs like AdAware delete the file if it contains spyware!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 03:27 AM   #20

Default "X-Files" - Soundproblems under Windows XP

Hi,

I have the same sound problems with "X-Files - The Game" as danakscully64 has.

After installing the game onto my harddisc (i chose the biggest installation - appr. 3 GB - so I don't have to change the CDs all day) everything seemed to work well - except for the sound.

I finally remebered to activate the Compatibility-Mode, and that worked - at first.

But everytime I open the main menu in order to save my game the sound is gone!!! (background sound, cutscene speech, etc...) It doesn't even help to quit the game and reload my old savegame. The only thing that helps is to exit the game, start it again and begin a completely new game. But what is that good for when you can't save your game?

I also wrote an E-Mail to the game's support, but the only thing they told me is that they cannot guarantee compatibility with XP, since the game came out at a point when XP did not yet exist, and the game is optimized for the operating systems mentioned on the box.

I didn't plan to play it in one session (and I don't want to go back to Windows 98 where the game worked fine), so please help me!!!

This is my system:

Windows XP Professional (SP 2)
Radeon 9100 IGP
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3,20 GHz
Realtek AC 97 Audio
DirectX 9.0c
Quicktime 6.5.1

Thanks in advance!!!

(Sorry for my bad English, it's astonishing how fast you can get problems writing in a foreign language you don't use very often...)