You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle Won't Start

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
SCUM

Default Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle Won't Start

Greetings from sunny Northern Ireland!

I posted about this issue on the official forum for Runaway 2, but as of yet the only person to reply is me

I received this game last week and installed it, but when I tried to run the game I got the "Runaway2.exe has stopped working" error. Here are the details:

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	runaway2.exe
  Application Version:	0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	46095696
  Fault Module Name:	StackHash_fd00
  Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	00000000
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	00000037
  OS Version:	6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	2057
  Additional Information 1:	fd00
  Additional Information 2:	ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
  Additional Information 3:	fd00
  Additional Information 4:	ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Read our privacy statement:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...3&clcid=0x0409
Having checked the support forums for a solution I followed the instructions I found there. I installed the 1.3 patch, and tried running the game again after that, but I just got the same error message. Then I tried the compatibility tweaks (disable visual themes, disable desktop composition & Run this program as an administrator). This time there was no error, but the mouse cursor had the little egg-timer symbol on it for a few seconds, after which nothing happened. I've tried running the game with the Task Manager open and I see that the "Runaway2.exe" file appears in the list briefly before disappearing again. I also tried uninstalling the patch and just using the compatibility tweaks, but the same problem occurred again.

I've tried starting the game with the DVD in the drive, and then without. I didn't get any errors about not having the disc in the drive, so it appears as though the main EXE doesn't even have a chance to fully initialise before it dies. I also tried running the game via the main EXE directly, which did nothing. I've tried setting my graphics card in the "Video card setup" tool, which didn't help either.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64 with the latest updates applied, including the latest DirectX (I thought installing that might help). My graphics card drivers are the latest versions, too. My graphics card is an nVidia 8800GTX 768MB. I have an Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.40GHz processor, and 4GB of Corsair 800MHz XMS2-6400 RAM. I'm pretty sure my system meets the minimum requirements!

Vista SP1 prompted the development of the 1.3 patch, but as far as I can tell SP2 hasn't been dealt with yet.

I've recently played Runaway: A Road Adventure (the original game in the series) on this system without any problems, and without any tweaking or patching necessary. Not sure if that matters.

So, any ideas?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Paddy; 07-20-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Removed an extra "the"
Old 07-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #2

I can only tell you that I still use Windows XP just because of games and that Runaway 2 works like a charm on it. Because of that I can only suspect on some problems related to Vista itself. So please recheck official Runaway 2 forum about possible Vista issues. Sorry for not being very helpful.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I can only tell you that I still use Windows XP just because of games and that Runaway 2 works like a charm on it. Because of that I can only suspect on some problems related to Vista itself. So please recheck official Runaway 2 forum about possible Vista issues. Sorry for not being very helpful.
Thanks for the reply!

I've been on the official technical support forums, and that's where I got the tips about patching the game and using the compatibility tweaks. Unfortunately there's rarely any activity on the forum in question, which is why I thought I'd be better off posting elsewhere. I'm tempted to dual boot with XP to play this game, but I'd rather leave that as a last resort haha.

Cheers!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #4

Wait, don't go for XP because windows 7 will soon be released.

Anyway I was able to dig out something. It seems that northamerican release (published by cdvusa) shipped out with defective disc data! Just check this error, it looks similar to yours:
http://www.runaway2-thegame.com/foru...95452a564ba7d6
And Focus confirmed this issue with that release.

If you do have that release, there is a solution on the R2 official forum:
http://www.runaway2-thegame.com/foru...pic.php?t=3751

Last edited by joxer; 07-20-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Wait, don't go for XP because windows 7 will soon be released.

Anyway I was able to dig out something. It seems that northamerican release (published by cdvusa) shipped out with defective disc data! Just check this error, it looks similar to yours:
http://www.runaway2-thegame.com/foru...95452a564ba7d6
And Focus confirmed this issue with that release.

If you do have that release, there is a solution on the R2 official forum:
http://www.runaway2-thegame.com/foru...pic.php?t=3751
That's some good detective work! Unfortunately I have the European version (I'm assuming - I'm in N. Ireland), and the error that guy was getting occurred during gameplay, whereas I can't even get the game started haha.

Thanks for taking the time
Old 07-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I don't know if this will help, but just another quick question: Is your version of the game called "Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle" or just "Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle" (WITHOUT the 2)? The version without the "2" should already be patched to version 1.3.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
SCUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
I don't know if this will help, but just another quick question: Is your version of the game called "Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle" or just "Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle" (WITHOUT the 2)? The version without the "2" should already be patched to version 1.3.
I just checked the box, and it says "Runaway 2".

Cheers!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #8
SCUM

I emailed the support address which came with the Read Me file, but they still haven't replied (or even acknowledged my email) and I doubt they will. It's a two-bit operation over there, it seems. Grrrrr!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #9

My Runaway 2: Dream of the Turtle is I believe the UK version. It has the PEGI rating system and lists Focus and Pendulo Studios. Which is the publisher and which is the developer? Is there anything I need to do other than install the 1.3 patch?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #10
SCUM

Sorry for the thread bump, but a member on the official Runaway forum provided me with a working fix for this problem and I thought I'd share it with you fine folks:

1. Install the game
2. Install the 1.3 patch
3. Install updated Tages drivers [click here, then click Drivers from the top menu and download the appropriate version]

Many thanks to vigolino!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #11

please could someone send me a link to download, Runaway 2 compatible with windows XP ...