You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems The Moment of Silence Starforce error

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #1

Default The Moment of Silence Starforce error

Okay so I tried to play The Moment of Silence yesterday but I was getting a Starforce error saying It isn't compatible with my operating system.

So I searched the web for a solution and I tried many things that have been said to help. I tried different ways of installing the English patch (including installing it after doing a full installation), I tried different ways of installing the French and German patches (though I got an error whenever I tried to install them), I tried to remove all of the Starforce files on my laptop myself, I also tried to remove all of the Starforce files using Starforce's tool for doing this, I tried running the game as an administrator and I tried running the game under all of the different compatibility modes

However, every time I tried to play it I still got this error.

Can anybody help, I was really looking forward to playing this game? I have the UK DVD version, by the way.

Edit - Oh yeah, I'm on Vista as well. I can't believe I forgot to add that!

Last edited by Dan_Dan_91_07; 01-03-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #2

If none of those work, back up your exe , and try getting a noCd-Dvd exe and try your patches on that.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #3

I had previously tried that and when I read your message, I gave up all hope.

I think I ended up forgetting to reply.

Now, I've gained some hope again (though not much), so... any other advice anyone?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #4

Have you tried installing a newer version of Starforce?

I had to do that once after I bought my first 64-bit Windows system, since none of my Starforce-protected games would work with 64 bit.

(And updating Starforce was a pain---at least for me---but I was probably doing it wrong).
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #5

I tried but got confused as to what to do.

I think it probably won't matter soon anyways. I have just decided to look at getting a xp system and I think there’s a good chance in me actually getting one really soon.

Thanks for the reply anyways!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Replicant

I simply can't get this game to work in Vista either. :/

I installed a patch that was supposed to bypass the StarForce garbage but didn't. I went to StarForce's site and downloaded the old drivers (http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/) and get the message "No installed protection drivers found to update" - yet that is the only option they have to download there for pre-5.5 versions!!!

What angers me is that people can illegally download this game and play it while I, having bought a legal version off Amazon, can't play it.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #7

I feel exactly the same mate! It is probably the game I want to play the most ATM as well!

If anybody can help me it would be great BTW, I got a XP laptop and thought I would be able to play the game on it, but I found out my game should have came with a manual that has an activation code on it, so I can't play it.

Does anybody think they can help at all?

"He's the small boy that you have to give the ball to in order to retrieve the toilet brush from the kebab seller."

stepurhan -

"Only in an adventure gaming forum would you see a sentence like this. "
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Replicant

I'm thinking of looking for the U.S. version if I can find a cheap copy as apparently that doesn't have the antiquated StarForce "protection". I really want to play this too and am frustrated. I'm also in England though so with shipping costs I'm not sure if a cheap version is realistic.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

I gave up with my legal copy, which I bought from Amazon and everything, I still have it here on my shelf, and just downloaded a copy and burnt that. The downloaded American copy worked fine.

I don't encourage piracy but the creators and distributors had reached the point where they said "Well, if you've got this particular edition basically, you're screwed". Money being tight I wasn't buying another copy, especially from the USA. I do own a legal copy I just wanted to play the darned thing!

It's a good game too, if a little slow.

Hope you find a solution that works for you. If I can help let me know.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM   #10

Is there any chance of you selling me your activation code?

Also, I don't want to sound like a **** but I think the mods are not going to be to pleased about what you said, even if you did explain your situation. I might be wrong though.

"He's the small boy that you have to give the ball to in order to retrieve the toilet brush from the kebab seller."

stepurhan -

"Only in an adventure gaming forum would you see a sentence like this. "
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #11

Default Damn starforce

Having the same damn problem with my copy. (english dvd version). Saying its not compatible with my operating system which is XP. How the hell can it not be compatible with XP?

So I thought, to hell with it, i'm downloading another version online. I think its the american version as its on 4 CDs.

I hope it doesn't have that damn starforce crap on it. grrr.

btw.. to anybody about to have an aneurism because im downloading an illegal copy, i've bought the game once, the disc got damaged so i bought a second copy... and now the game doesn't even run!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncarney View Post
btw.. to anybody about to have an aneurism because im downloading an illegal copy, i've bought the game once, the disc got damaged so i bought a second copy... and now the game doesn't even run!
Regardless, you will not receive help getting illegal versions of games to run on these forums. We've a strict anti-piracy policy here.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #13

its okay, i didn't need help about the illegal US version, that works fine (i guess its because there is no starforce which is good ) and I dont think there is anything wrong with downloading another (workable) version when I already have 2 copys of the game myself, which I have paid for. Its almost like downloading a patch.

However in future if I decide to play the game again, I would like to use my copy of the game. So if anyone finds a way to get past this problem, let me know ... my OS version is XP SP3 btw.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #14

I'm really sorry about the hassle. Have you tried contacting dtp's tech support? Could be worth a try.

Best
Martin
Old 09-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
"But... It's Pink."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr View Post
Have you tried contacting dtp's tech support? Could be worth a try.

Best
Martin
Ooh, where would I find that? I'm having precisely the same problem right now. M.O.S is probably one of my all-time favourite AGs, but since I upgraded to Windows 7 it's been unplayable. Bad times!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #16

The folks at [email protected] might be able to help you out. If they can't, my best guess would be to try and run the game in a Virtual PC environment, with an appropriate operating system...?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #17
"But... It's Pink."

Ah thanks for that, I'll drop 'em a line. I'm sure there's a way to get it going!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #18

I doubt that the dtp support can help here.

The reason is that dtp was the publisher of "The moment of silence" but as with most games they publish, they only distributed it in german speaking countries. For other countries they cooperate with local distributors/publishers to distribute their games.

The problem here is that the local distributors has the rights for the local markets and decide how the game gets distributed and copy protected there. It looks like the distributor for UK for "The moment of silence" was Digital Jesters. This company got in trouble and was liquidated in 2005.

The german version distributed by dtp got two patches - one 2004 and one 2005. The 2005 one was supposed to solve some copy protection issues (it also used StarForce).

The UK version distributed by Digital Jesters only got the first patch. It looks like the second one wasn't released for the UK version. I can only guess that Digital Jesters was already in trouble by that time. The problem is that dtp may don't have the rights to release patches or EXE files for the UK version since the rights were on Digital Jesters side and it may be unclear where they have gone now...

Of course this is just a guess. I would try it also.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #19

In any case, the official English Retail patch (Digital Jesters version) should definitely fix the Starforce problems. If compatibilty issues with that version occur after installing the patch, they can't be related to the copy protection.

Edit: Hmm. Thinking about it again, I'm not quite so sure anymore... :-/ (It's seven years ago.)

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 09-13-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Second thoughts
Old 09-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #20
Psychonaut

There are some Patches here.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listi...ficial_Patches

Not sure if that will fix the problem.