You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Hint Requests and Technical Problems Still Life, how to remove those orange translucide spikes from your characters head?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #1

Default Still Life, how to remove those orange translucide spikes from your characters head?

And also why can't you chose your resolution? You can only chose between anti-aliasing on/off...
Old 08-18-2006, 06:19 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Orange translucide spikes?

You can't choose your resolution because that's how the game was designed.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Orange translucide spikes?
Yes, I noticed this both in the demo and in the game. Even though it seems in the game to not wanna go away. I dunno how I can describe it, it only seems affects your character head. They are not really spikes, they are orange lines drawn unto the characters head, know what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
You can't choose your resolution because that's how the game was designed.
Ok, thanks.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

What kind of video card do you have? Can you post a screenshot so we can see these orange lines?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
What kind of video card do you have? Can you post a screenshot so we can see these orange lines?
Nvidia Geforce 6600, how do I take screenshots in-game, please?
Old 08-18-2006, 06:45 AM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

Same way you would take them outside the game - press the Print Screen button, then exit the game (or minimize it) and paste the screenshot you took into a graphics program like MS Paint.

If that doesn't work, try using Fraps. There's a free version.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #7

Hum you can't see them in the screenshots, on second though they are not really that orange. Well they looked orange when you were in the snow outside with the cups of cofee, but when you get inside it gets better and you can see clearly. They are the lines traced by the devs (you know, the ones that are used to makes characters and stuff?) so my question is. Is it visible to you guys, as it is visible to me?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #8

Ok, I figured out what it was. This problem only appears when I use the anti-aliasing option, because when I turned it off the lines around the characters head disappears.

But still I would be curious to know if the problem comes from:

Bad implementation of the anti-aliasing or it comes from me?

Sorry to bother you with that fov but, do you experience this problem when you turn the anti-aliasing option on?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

No, I didn't have this problem. But I'm glad to hear turning off anti-aliasing fixed it for you.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
HA! HA! HA!

Sorry to bump a 2 month old topic, but I just wanted to add that I also had this problem with the in-game antialiasing. So instead I used an nvidia one which resulted in no such spikes.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #11
Staff Member

Try forcing your graphics card to anti-alias manually.

You can't change resolution because the backgrounds are pre-rendered. Alternate resolutions would massively increase the disk space required to store the backgrounds, because you would need different versions of the same place. It would also be a programming headache - very tedious to implement.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:32 AM   #12

Im playing Still Life 2nd time with nvidia 800GT and Im having this problem too for the 1st time.

I dont want to turn off the anti-alias 'cause the graphic will look ugly

Any help?

@stuboy: what do you mean by "forcing.." ?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

I think he meant to turn on anti-aliasing in the video card settings, so you don't have to turn it on in the game.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #14
It's just me

I'm experiencing this problem too! Except the lines aren't orange, but white. I remember seeing those "head lines" on Victoria's character model when the game first came out, but I chose to disable anti-aliasing at the time and it did correct the problem. The tricky part is that I want to replay the game and can't disable anti-aliasing now; I have a widescreen monitor and for some obscure reason, disabling anti-aliasing also ends up disabling pillarboxing (you know, playing the game with black bars on the sides so the images aren't stretched).

I tried changing and testing various options in my graphics card control panel (ATI Radeon HD 3870) but nothing seems to work. Seeing as this thread is quite old, I thought perhaps someone might have discovered a workaround after all these years.

Any insights? Many thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #15

I've recently played Still Life (I never had, and I wanted to get ready for the sequel), and I had the same exact problem. White lines around Victioria's head with AA on. I tried forcing it from the NVIDIA control panel, and it changed nothing. I also tried various different modes (2x, 4x, 8x etc.) from the panel, but, again, nothing gained. I eventually had to give up and play through the whole game trying to pretend the glitch wasn't there.

The problem seems to be too systematic (ie. there are many people experiencing the same problem under the same conditions) to be just random. This kind of regularity would've been a source of strong protests if it had existed when the game came out. This leads me to believe that the problem lies with what has changed in the meantime: the hardware.
I notice user charmed23 mentioned an NVIDIA 800GT, I assume she/he means an 8800 GT. Which is very similar to my 8800 GTS. Which, in turn are comparable to Lunatik's ATI Radeon HD 3800 series.

I think it can be safely assumed that the problem is caused by certain new graphic cards and/or general computer configuration... which is the worst kind of glitch, since it's most improbable that the game developers would feel compelled to release a patch for the game to work on newer computers.

Back when I was trying to find a way around the problem, I had thought to make the game run on a virtual machine, but in that case you would have the opposite problem, since no virtual machine software I know of offers any kind of 3D acceleration (VMware Workstation 6.5 claims to suppord Direct3D 9 acceleration, but I haven't been able to make it work). So you'd end up with no graphics card whatsoever.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help... hope my insight makes sense, though
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
It's just me

Thank you for your kind response, Zefram. I appreciate it.

Your theory seems plausible to me. However, I clearly recall having experienced this problem when the game first came out, on a completely different computer. So this issue has always been there for me. What I did before was simply turning off AA, but sadly it's not working anymore; turning it off will make the game stretch over my widescreen display.

I guess I'll wait for the sequel instead. Thanks again!