You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default Psychonauts help (Dowsing Rod)

Hi, just a quick question. I'm playing the PS2 version of the game and I bought the dowsing rod but can't get it to work. When I get close to an arrowhead, the rod turns blue and hums high pitched, and it wants me to hammer on the triangle button -- the thing is, it's not possible to hit it as fast as is obviously necessary; I can't get the rod-o-meter thing above halfway up (if that), and I'm just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if dowsing is just rediculously impossible. Perhaps I need to directly overtop the arrowhead for it to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

If you can't hammer hard enough to get the arrowhead out then you're not actually at the sweet spot. Try moving around a bit to see if you can get an even higher pitch or a point at which it becomes easier.

Oh, and make sure you rest your thumb/finger before hammering. I found that if I tried to do it too much in a row my ability to actually succeed fell as I lost the ability to hammer fast enough.

And good luck!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
Adventurer

Alright, thanks for the help-- maybe I'll actually succeed soon and buy bigger and better things!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #4

What he said. I had exactly the same problem at first, but as soon as you've picked up a couple of arrowheads, you know what effects to look out for.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #5

With the force-feedback controller, the controller will also pulse, pulse, pulse. As you get closer to the deposit, the pitch will increase and the pulsating will become more prominent. When you're right at the sweet spot, the controller will vibrate continuously, rather than pulsating. Then start pressing the triangle fast (not hard, but fast). You should have no trouble retrieving the arrowheads.

-TimK
Old 01-04-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Adventurer

Alright, thanks everyone, I've got it working... Now I can't understand how I could get it before. Oh well, at least it's actually quite easy after all...