You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 12:21 PM   #61
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Best single-player wargame ever (haven't tried multi). Okay?
This game *is* war (simulation!). It's a more realistic approach to that kind of thing than BF or CoD, Brothers In Arms, etcetc, which makes it a hard game, admittedly. F&!kin' A mission design, day-night cycle, huge maps (entire islands)
Totally agree. It's an awesome experience. Especially the woods which actually contain a lot of trees unlike many other games of this type. Screw that, there isn't any other games of this type, it's unique.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #62
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
You should try BF2 multiplayer Sam. Operation Flashpoint does have a realistic approach, but there are a ton of scripted events, the A.I. isn't exceptional, and the vehicle control is simplified.
I know what BF is like. I've played it and I like it. I liked 1942 better than Vietnam, though, I think because of the setting. Thinking about it, Vietnam isn't much more than a professional mod anyway. And I've watched my neighbour playing BF2. I have a GF4 installed in my system, so this game's a no-no at the moment. Sure, in OPF single player, everything's scripted, but the campaign is just superb, varied and makes good use of exciting scripted events. It even has a decent storyline. It came out in 2001, a year or so before BF 1942, and Bohemia started development in 1997 or 1998. I'd still say BF is a way more actiony approach to a wargame overall. Which isn't bad per se, hell no. Just different. From what I saw they changed that a bit in BF2. Looks like you aren't able to run all the time anymore e.g. I remember me and a friend discussing moral issues when OPF was released. We just bought it and thought it almost felt a bit too realistic. I've never been in the army, but hey...

Mattsius, couldn't agree more. I remember one mission were you were fleeing with your depleted squad from hordes of enemy soldiers through the woods. Awesome gaming experiences all the way through. Are the expansion packs worth it? I'm thinking about buying OPF again (scratched CD, see above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
Okay, I'm an idiot...it was literally right above the bridge north of the city (yep by the hospital)...THAT was a pretty awesome mission. :
I didn't make it yesterday. The car you're given is just sooooo sloooooooow!

Last edited by samIamsad; 07-26-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:50 AM   #63
BigRobot

I have such a deep love for this game. I've yet to beat it, as my run through the game was put on hold thanks to all the hurricanes that hit us last year, and I never did get back into the game, but thanks to this thread, I'm probably going to do so this afternoon. Yay.

Oh, and I also have to share the OFP love, too. It's still one of my favorite games.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:11 AM   #64

I swear i was near the end when i stopped playing, it was on some driving mission when you come out a court yard or something? my memory is weak since it was over a year now

but i know i loved everything up to it, just that mission was hard you had to get there in a certain time as you do tryna dodge the traffic taking the exact right route.

hmmm wish i rememeberd

gonna have to buy it again and have another go.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:01 AM   #65
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Mattsius, couldn't agree more. I remember one mission were you were fleeing with your depleted squad from hordes of enemy soldiers through the woods. Awesome gaming experiences all the way through. Are the expansion packs worth it? I'm thinking about buying OPF again (scratched CD, see above).
I don't know if it is the same mission I'm thinking of, but in this one you were driving a truck trying to get your troops away from enemy territory, but you were stopped at a check point and then you more or less had to run like hell up in the woods. At least that's what I did.

I believe the goal with that mission was to get in contact with the resistance troops and as I was the only one alive from my squad after that brutal slaughter, I had to make my way through the woods alone while the sun was setting and it was getting darker and darker.
There I was, running for my life, fatigued and crushed by the fate of my compadres. I was almost certain that this was the time and place where I would die, when I suddenly saw a dim light shining between the trees. As I struggled to get closer to the source of the light I started to distinguish movement around me. I heard them speaking Russian and thought: Shit! They found me.
It was indeed Russians, but fortunately for me the friendly kind. I had reached the Resistance.

I bought the Game of the Year Edition a couple of years back, but had some serious stability issues with the original game so I have left it on hold until I get a new PC. I'm not sure what the problem was, but I lost the sound in the game at first and then some seconds or minutes later the game crashed. It was getting worse to the point when it happened in every mission and foolish as I was I still tried to play the game. Then one time it crashed just as usual, only this time the computer didn't want to start anymore.

I'm still gonna try out the expansion packs at some point though. Especially the Resistance pack seems interesting. The Red Hammer pack where you play the Russians doesn't, at least to me, seem quite as fun since it probably involves a lot of tank driving and flying helicopters and planes and stuff. The vehicles in OF was implemented poorly and are one of the few really bad things in the game.