You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Gothic II: English demo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
merely human

Default Gothic II: English demo

Just noticed it at Gamer's Hell. Anyone play this one yet? It's not that recent, released in Europe a while back but not N/A yet. I'm downloading right now, watched a couple gameplay movies. It's heavily story driven, yes?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-18-2005, 12:45 AM   #2
Barroom hero

It is simply one of the best action oriented RPG I have ever played!
Immersion in the world is great, you can smell the background and cohesiveness oozing around you!
It's above average, diffulty-wise, though, and some people have trouble with combat system.

Unfortunately it had a confidential diffusion here in France, if any diffusion at all.

By the way the underdogs have a very nice review in sync with my views on the game (Lazy mode on)
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4709
Old 03-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I played for five seconds the german demo when it was released.

I dl'd this english demo yesterday, haven't had time yet to play it, maybe later today...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
merely human

I played a bit of this demo last night. Thank god for 'T6' speed connections, this thing was a heavy 300-something MB.

The combat sucks. Is it my imagination or can I not disengage from the enemies and run to safety? Also, I can't seem to consume healing herbs in the heat of battle.

Otherwise, I kinda like it, the exploration and stuff.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-18-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

The combat is annoying at first, but better when you get more skillful (the character fights *better*, not just more damage) and yes, you can run away. Don't bother with using the mouse, use the keyboard and the mouse if you want to look around only.

But that game is like two years old... How come your playing the demo now?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
merely human

Because I don't know German.

I guessed the combat becomes more fluid the more XP you get.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I don't know German either. Don't tell me they are going to start selling them in North America *now*, with the English version made at least a year ago.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:40 AM   #8

They were selling Gothic on amazon ages ago.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:04 AM   #9
Evil Webmaster

Gothic II must be one of the games that suffered most delays in distribution in the past years, it was released in Italy just a couple of months ago. It was actually first distributed in english, one of the last games with the Inforgrames brand, then Atari said 'we're gonna make it in italian', so they took all copies from the market. And what did they do? Nothing. They even said 'Pirahna bites doesn't want us to distribute it in italian', which I think is a rather strange assertion. So, no Gothic 2. Koch media arrived more than two years later, took the game from Atari, made the subtitles in italian and finally released it.
The expansion with italian subtitles is gonna come in a few months, while the english one is still lost in time and is waiting for Atari. I frankly don't think it's ever gonna be released, meanwhile I have a german copy of Nacht Das Raben and the english translation patch. Tsk.
So there you go
Old 03-23-2005, 06:48 AM   #10
After 2 years...

scratching up old wounds here, scratching up old wounds.

I so wanted this game but the time was bad-never got it-and now i can't find it anywhere here....

go on, play it yourself...leave me behind...i am lost anyway. Go on play it. ()
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 03-23-2005, 07:59 AM   #11
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

I've played the demo for the first one and found the world itself entirely immersive, but the combat horrible. Has this been addressed in the sequel, or is the fighting the same?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
Evil Webmaster

Erm... I'm afraid the answer you're looking for cannot be reached at the moment, please try again later, thank you!

(The combat is rather difficult like the first one)
So there you go
Old 03-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #13
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
I frankly don't think it's ever gonna be released, meanwhile I have a german copy of Nacht Das Raben and the english translation patch. Tsk.
There's an English translation patch for Nacht Das Raben!? Is it any good. IwantIwantIwant.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
I've played the demo for the first one and found the world itself entirely immersive, but the combat horrible. Has this been addressed in the sequel, or is the fighting the same?
I'll just re-iterate my response to this on the Idle forums:

Quote:
I disagree that the combat is crap. It's not great when you're fighting many enemies at the same time and they should figure out some way of dealing with that for nr 3, but otherwise it's fine... even really good. For example, you fight better if you time your slashes right, as a result you can sometimes beat enemies that would statistically kick your ass. I really like the way you can basically directly control the slash by holding down control and using the arrow buttons. You can block too in case you didn't know.

(...)

Gothic definitely gets the prize for Most Confusing Control System To Get Into, but once you do, it's kinda cool.

Oh and have you tried the lock-picking?
Also let me just join Fop in saying:

There's an English translation to the add-on?! Where can I get it?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:22 PM   #15

Hi Guys,

I recently ordered Die Nacht des Raben from Germany when I found out that there was an English translation patch, so I will chime in here. Go here:

http://worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=addoninstall

This will give you instructions for installing the English translation patch. It also explains where to order the German add-on if you don't already have it.

Last edited by Marian; 03-23-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #16
Evil Webmaster

Another good link for the english translation patch and how to use it:

Gothic@RGDot

There's no url to buy the expansion, but I'm sure all of you already own it, right?
So there you go
Old 03-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #17

Ooh! According to RPGdot they're going to release the English version of Gothic 2 and The Night of the Raven in the UK in a few weeks! Awesome.

I wonder If they'll release the first one as well...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:15 AM   #18

Argh, now I can't seem to cancel my order of the German collector's edition (Gothic 1 & 2 and the addon). Oh well, at least I'll finally actually own a copy of Gothic 1. I've been meaning to play that again. My German is a little rusty though. Is there an English subtitles patch for Gothic 1, I wonder...
Old 03-30-2005, 04:53 AM   #19
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo
Argh, now I can't seem to cancel my order of the German collector's edition (Gothic 1 & 2 and the addon). Oh well, at least I'll finally actually own a copy of Gothic 1. I've been meaning to play that again. My German is a little rusty though. Is there an English subtitles patch for Gothic 1, I wonder...
Bah... If you own the original german one, you can download the English translation... I don't think any developer in the whole galaxy would be upset by this
Old 03-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #20
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Please, please tell me that this game doesn't contain the line "This hot creature of the night will give your life a new meaning!" (see Trep's first screenshot).

Ugh.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.