You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
capsized.

Default Mafia

Holy shit! I never knew this game was soooooooooo good! I always assumed it was just GTA: The Godfather. I was so wrong!

Just four missions into the game and I'm hooked. Very strong narrative, epic scope, amazing attention to detail, great mission design and a very cinematic feel. Yeah, from a pure technical standpoint, the graphics are starting to show their age, but eveything still looks and feels so.. classy and alive. How did I miss this jewel the first time around?

Oh, is it true that there's a sequel in the works?

Last edited by samIamsad; 07-20-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:12 AM   #2
Epinionated.

I dunno, I hope so. This is one of the best games ever created - full of detail, good plotting, excellent voiceovers... just superb. Brill soundtrack too.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:41 AM   #3
OUATIJ Creator

Yes, this is a superb game. I loved every minute of it and didn't want it to end.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:04 AM   #4

Yeah, Mafia is superb.. definitely one of the best games of it's type. There's some absolutely brilliant gameplay moments in there (that still sticks to my mind, even though I completed it the week it was released), and when you're done with the main game, you have a superb Free Ride Extreme-mode waiting for you (I enjoyed that almost as much as the "real game", actually).

The developers confirmed that they were working on a sequel a while ago (C&VG asked them, they said "yes", but nothing more). Since then I've heard rumours that it's been cancelled and that the designer of the original, Daniel Vavra, has left the studio.

If it's been cancelled, it's very sad, because when I read previews of the original, I noticed several very cool features that didn't make it into the game (it seems they were short on time at the end), and I was hoping they'd be in the sequel. Plus, I just want more Mafia!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Holy shit! I never knew this game was soooooooooo good! I always assumed it was just GTA: The Godfather. I was so wrong!
Well at least your rock isn't TOO heavy to lift off of you once and a while.

Yes you are in for a real treat throughout its entire length, culminating with what I consider one of the best endings in gaming.

I heard rumblings there was a sequel planned, and that it was rumored 'cancelled' which was quickly denied by the developer who said to expect it in 06-07, but thats about it...hope so!

Cheers
Old 07-21-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

There was a sequel in the works, but it was cancelled and the people working on it were transferred to work for Hidden & Dangerous 2 or something like that...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
Irritant F0rum Beasty

A great game, and the story is one of the best every for a shooter. The ending is really good, much more bold and daring than the conventional game ending.

I suppose the gameplay is most comparable to Max Payne, except that this actually has variation.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The number of times that I've almost bought this game...

Right, I'm getting this game the next time I see it. You've sold me, people!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #9
OB

This is still one of my favorite games. I sold off most of my games a while back but I kept this one. I'll probably keep it forever.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:59 AM   #10
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Started to play this game, but I had to uninstall it, my computer was/is to crappy to run it smoothly, pity..Have heared so much good about it..It´ll have to wait untill i upgrade my comp..
Old 07-21-2005, 07:59 AM   #11
capsized.

I cannot wait to start the game again. And yeah, Trep (if he's reading... ) I'm playing it as an adventure game (as in: Mafia game, instead of cleptomaniac/Mc Guyver kind of game). So what!?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #12

How similar is it to Max Payne games? I really wanted to like Max Payne but couldn't stand the gameplay in it. Is Mafia as hard as Max Payne? Is it full of actiony bits like Max Payne? I want to give it a try but don't feel like getting frustrated. One of these days, I will actually like one of the non-AGs Trep and you guys liked. The day will come, I know it.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #13
capsized.

No, it's not like Max Payne. I was a bit bored by MP, too, because it seemed pretty repetitive. In Mafia, the gameplay and the "missions" ARE the story. It's really that great. Trust me, the narrative is *superb* in this one. It's everything those lame interactive movies of the 90s wanted to be.

edit: It can be hard at times, though.

Last edited by samIamsad; 07-21-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:05 AM   #14
The Reggienator

Mafia features an excellent story and gameplay.
The driving is a bit awkward, but not too much.

This game really doesn't need a sequel, unless it's an entirely new city with all new characters etc.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Oh man how did I miss this one? I have heard about it before but it never rang a bell. I just went and looked at the reviews, and it got staggering reviews. Ebay here I come By the way, the PS2 and XBOX version got really much lower reviews. Anyone knows why?

Firefox rules
Old 07-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #16
OUATIJ Creator

SoccerDude, because the PS2 and XBox versions are horrible by comparison. So much of the detail of the world is lost, the load times are a bitch, etc.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #17
The Reggienator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpot
A year and a half later, a PlayStation 2 port of Mafia has finally arrived. It doesn't skimp on the game's mature content, but playing this version of the game is roughly equivalent to watching The Lord of the Rings trilogy on a small, black-and-white TV/VCR combo as opposed to the silver screen. Granted, this is perhaps about as faithful a translation as could have been expected, since Mafia was expressly designed to push the PCs and graphics cards of yesteryear to their limits. Explanations aside, because the PS2 version of Mafia unavoidably compromises the PC version's graphical presentation--while also introducing longer loading times and injecting more interruptions into the gameplay--it comes off like a mere shadow of the original. It's certainly not a bad game, but there's a far superior version of it still available.

A year and a half later, an Xbox port of Mafia has finally arrived. Unfortunately, despite the relatively high power of Microsoft's system, this version is closer in quality to the recently released PlayStation 2 version than to the impressive PC original. Mafia for the Xbox mimics the PC version's graphical presentation--while also injecting more interruptions into the gameplay--so it's altogether less impressive than the original game was for its time. It's still a pretty good Xbox game here and now, but you should be able to find a far superior version of it in your local game shop's PC bargain bin.
That's why.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #18
OB

There's a demo out there and of one of my favorite levels. It's also one of the more difficult parts of the game...I love the cutscene when you get to the bootleggers. Anyway, this demo involves driving bits and on foot play. The sounds have been degraded so the demo download would be smaller, but they are of the highest quality in the full version.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_121.shtml - get demo here

You can snag the game for under $10 now and there's even a Mafia/Max Payne 2-pack for about the same or maybe a bit more.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #19
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
This game really doesn't need a sequel, unless it's an entirely new city with all new characters etc.
I totally agree. They wrapped everything together quite nicely at the end after all. Wow, I still remember that ending as it was yesterday. Pure brilliance.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #20

You guys'd better be right. I'm bidding on an eBay auction to get it. If the game turn out to be lousy, I will personally visit each of you, starting with sam and ending with Mattsie, and punish you severely.

There are a lot of cheap copies of the game avaialble on eBay by the way, if you are thinking about getting it.