You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 11:58 AM   #21
kamikaze hummingbirds

I like running marines over.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:53 PM   #22

No no. Basically I'm saying that there are three types of games:

1) Shooters
2) Adventure
3) Childrens

The shooters that involve shooting aliens are almost all directed to kids because it's the typical "Your planet is being invaded save us from Aliens" And there's no blood or gore or anything, and it just gets boring.

Ontop of that, there aren't many shooters or adventure games out. (Except for Another Code and Lost in Blue, both I can't wait for...) Which only leaves Childrens...

Basically I'm tired of the age difference in games and I'm looking for something a bit more challenging then just shooting aliens...
Old 07-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydriac
The shooters that involve shooting aliens are almost all directed to kids because it's the typical "Your planet is being invaded save us from Aliens" And there's no blood or gore or anything, and it just gets boring.
Blood and gore != adult.

Once again, is Halo a children's game?

Metroid Prime is a FPS (of sorts) with plenty of creepy moments, some amazingly difficult sections, and was made by a team of Half-Life alumni. If it wasn't from Nintendo, nobody would be making the argument that it's a kid's game.

Besides, as far as I know there's exactly one shooter on the DS right now. Goldeneye. The rest is mostly puzzle games or racing games. Does racing fall under shooter, adventure, or children?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #24

You are completely right that the Nintendo factor makes it not as good as it could be, but it still doesn't make it a kids game. It is still one of the good ones, but just as you said, Nintendo has the title, which has a reputation to set as mildly violent.

I don't know it's hard to explain how I feel about these, but I know what you mean...

And yes, Golden Eye is the only shooter right now, and it sucks... The sounds sucks and you see the same enemies the entire game with the same end moves.

Horrible.

Anyway though, I think maybe I was just looking for some inside stuff on some games. Screens or release dates. No offense to anyone, but I didn't want an argument

Edit: I think racing has it's own category: Racing...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydriac
You are completely right that the Nintendo factor makes it not as good as it could be
Not what I said. I think the Metroid series is fantastic, and Prime is one of the best games this gen. The lack of gore means absolutely nothing to me, and a few squirts of blood from the space pirates would in no way make it more or less adult. Were the exact same product to come from Valve, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #26

In most cases, Blood and Gore (TM) would help the game sell to minors, teenagers, adolescents, because they want to be cool. Therefore Blood and Gore (TM) isn't automatically adult material. Postal for instance, is one of the most childish games I've ever seen. Who in the hell with an adult sense of gaming would play that shit?

Zelda is one of the more mature games I've played. Being mature isn't about how many ways you can kill a person. Do you automatically want to kill and destroy when you're older?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #27

I think some people confuse "only suitable for adults" with "adult." How taboo certain content is becomes more important than the content itself.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:52 AM   #28
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

The DS is actually looking a lot more promising and exciting than it was half a year ago. I thought Nintendo had shot themselves in the foot, but there's actually a decent line-up and it no longer seems as "gimmicky" as it did, to me at least. I'm not particularly interested in the PSP, it seems like a flash bit of kit to have but there are no games on it that interest me, and I'm poor.

I think I'll just stick with my GBA.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 PM   #29
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Can anyone introduce some sites where I could possibly import Another Code: Trace Memories (E) to Singapore?

The shops here refuse to ship in any games that's released for Europe. We do have a lot of Japanese titles though...
Old 07-22-2005, 05:52 AM   #30
Puts the 'e' in Mark

It's a bit slow games-wise for both the PSP and DS at the moment, which is not surprising at all. It looks like the DS lineup is going to become very strong though, starting around October.

Keep your eyes peeled for the following DS games:

Worms DS
Tony Hawk DS (cellshaded... it's nice)
Resident Evil DS
Viewtiful Joe DS
Electroplankton
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (adventure game)
Lost in Blue (adventure game ... sort of)
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Animal Crossing
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
New Super Mario Bros.
Metroid Prime: Hunters (the controls are actually awesome and as good as on a PC FPS if you spend 5 minutes with it)
Sonic Rush
Katamari Damacy DS
Ouendan (weird music game by the makers of Gitaroo Man)
Jam With the Band
Advance Wars DS

etc. etc.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:40 AM   #31
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I'm not sure where the myth is coming from that the PSP's lineup is actually any stronger than the DS's. Except for Lumines and some stuff I wouldn't buy like Metal Gear Acid, it's pretty much all ports of PS2 stuff. Pardon me if I don't see that kind of selection particularly enticing. I can play it all on a bigger TV. Hardly any of the games Marek mentioned for DS are ports, even the ones from existing franchises.

And please, there's a huge difference between "content not suitable for children" and "mature gaming". At this point, Nintendo is the only publisher I can even remotely count on to deliver actual mature GAMEPLAY--that is, gameplay that evolves, is new and interesting, does not pander to childish cliches, and so on. If I want blood and guts, I can watch an R-rated film. If I want to experience some of the best-tuned and most developed gameplay I've experienced in months, I'll play Meteos or Kirby: Canvas Curse on my DS.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-22-2005, 07:41 AM   #32
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Listen to that man.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #33
Roar?

I'm planning on buying a Nintendo DS. I just saw some on eBay imported from Japan and they have really cool colours.

The seller claims that the included 110V adapter will work fine with the imported NDS, but I'm unsure. Aren't electronics made to accept a certain voltage? I don't want to spend $200+ on a machine only to bust it as soon as I plug it in.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 AM   #34
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

When I bought my imported graphite black ds from Lik-Sang last week, I also bought a 220V adapter along with the ds.
The japanese DS comes with a 110V adapter, but it only works in Japan (and USA?)
And the 220V adapter works fine, I have tested it.

Also I have to some advertising here, Lik-Sang is having a free shipping worldwide for all their DS consoles. You only need to buy one game with the console and you get to choose any of the four shipping options which normally cost like up to $40.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #35
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
When I bought my imported graphite black ds from Lik-Sang last week, I also bought a 220V adapter along with the ds.
The japanese DS comes with a 110V adapter, but it only works in Japan (and USA?)
And the 220V adapter works fine, I have tested it.

Also I have to some advertising here, Lik-Sang is having a free shipping worldwide for all their DS consoles. You only need to buy one game with the console and you get to choose any of the four shipping options which normally cost like up to $40.
Thanks so much for that, I may have to buy a lovely turquoise DS now .

By the way, was your instruction manual in Japanese only or was it multi-languaged like the DS itself?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:14 PM   #36
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

The instruction manual is in japanese.
But Lik-Sang gave me two A4 papers that explain for example how one changes the OS language to english.

I haven't really found need for the manual.

I have looked it through and there's like 1001 pics that tell you what not to do with a DS. That's about all that the manual has inside it.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:44 PM   #37
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
The instruction manual is in japanese.
But Lik-Sang gave me two A4 papers that explain for example how one changes the OS language to english.

I haven't really found need for the manual.

I have looked it through and there's like 1001 pics that tell you what not to do with a DS. That's about all that the manual has inside it.
Well that doesn't sound bad at all. Thanks again, Kolzig.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #38
Banned User

First of all, you should be asking yourself "how often do I play handheld games?" I mean, take me for example. When the DS came out, I wanted to get one. But then I thought "man, when the hell am I ever in a situation where i'm out of reach of my computer or console and said to myself 'Damn! I wish I could play some games right now!'" Hardly ever! When i'm out, i'm doing other things than playing games. I guess if you travel a lot it might be a good idea, but why play a DS or PSP when you have a computer/xbox/ps2/gamecube to play?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #39
my greyhound, Neo

Thanks Marek, for the great list. Animal Crossing is my favorite game of all time. And I'm gonna raise a Beagle named Dogma.

I also like RPGs so I have been looking forward to some coming out next year for the PSP -
Y's, Breath of Fire, PoPoLoCrois, Tales of Eternia and Legend of Heroes. Besides that the Sims and Black and White Creatures will look gorgeous.

I'm a huge handheld fan so I think theres alot to be excited about as an adventurer.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #40
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Sonic Rush
This one is looking very, very good. Especially considering the lackluster original Sonic DS tech demo.