You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Final Fantasy Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2004, 04:48 PM   #1
Typo Queen

Default Final Fantasy Question

Hi everyone,

Just wondering: Are the Final Fantasy 1 & 2 in the GBA's Dawn of Souls pack the same games as in the Playstation's Origins compilation?
Old 11-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Apparently it is with some updates. How about that. I didn't even hear about this one. Okay. I'll just sit back and wait for people to start shouting about how Final Fantasy isn't an adventure game now.

mag
Old 11-11-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
I'll just sit back and wait for people to start shouting about how Final Fantasy isn't an adventure game now.

FINAL FANTASY ISN'T AN ADVENTURE!

Transferring this to general gaming...
Old 11-11-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
mag

This is pretty neat:

Quote:
Both games also come with new additions that weren't present in their original Famicom releases. Final Fantasy I will have a new dungeon called the "Soul of Chaos", where you uncover new items such as the Ultima Weapon, and fight against historical bosses in the Final Fantasy series, like the ghost train from FF VI. Final Fantasy II will have an extra story line named the "Soul of Rebirth", where you get to play as four of the NPC scenario characters (Ming-Wu, Scott, Joseph, Richard) that lost their lives in the main scenario of the game.
Plus, it looks like they're updating the magic system.

Quote:
Other changes that are known is that magic can now be cast by consuming magic points instead of using limited magic stocks.
I can hear the shrill cry of RPG fan boys now.

"T3HY CH4NG3D T3H M4G1C SYZT3M!!! ITZ N0T R34LLY F1N4L F4NT4ZY!!! TH1S SUX0RZ!!!! SQ4R3 3N1X 1z G4Y LOLOL!!!1!!"

mag
Old 11-11-2004, 09:03 PM   #5
Retirement is stupid

The magic system of FF1 was about the worst thing ever, so no harm done there. But fighting the Ghost Train? That's an AWFUL idea. That boss was only effective in FF6 because of its role in the overall story. There's nothing good accomplished by dropping it into a dungeon in FF1.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 11-11-2004, 11:47 PM   #6
Typo Queen

I thought I did post this in General. *scratches head*
Old 11-12-2004, 05:59 AM   #7
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger
The magic system of FF1 was about the worst thing ever, so no harm done there. But fighting the Ghost Train? That's an AWFUL idea. That boss was only effective in FF6 because of its role in the overall story. There's nothing good accomplished by dropping it into a dungeon in FF1.
No, the magic system in Final Fantasy 8 was the worst thing ever.

mag
Old 11-12-2004, 06:42 AM   #8

What about FF X-2? I'm playing it right now and I don't like the fact that you can turn anyone into a magic user by using the dress sphere system. That made using magic mundane, which is no fun.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #9

EDIT: this is a reply to FFVIII having the worst magic-system

Agree. Well. I just hated the fact that you had to draw all the time. Would be easier to just find spells hidden around, or even buy them in a store. That would help make the game so much more fun to play.

Oh, and the fact that the monsters level up with you, so levelling up is pointless? I hated that too. I love levelling up. Of course, you just did it differently in this game, instead of gaining levels, you just junctioned the magic to your stats. So it's sort of genious. But I would have preferred something in between at least.

When I think about it, I never ever completed FFVIII. Never beat the final boss. I think I'll play again sometime, but I just need to get hold of the NTSC version. The PAL conversion is horribly slow... and borders! OH GOD THOSE BORDERS!
Old 11-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #10
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
What about FF X-2?
Please don't mention that game again. I'm trying to block it out of my memory.

mag
Old 11-12-2004, 04:19 PM   #11
Typo Queen

Aaaah, watch out with the spoilers! I haven't played all the FFs yet!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #12
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLight
Aaaah, watch out with the spoilers! I haven't played all the FFs yet!
um...what spoilers?

mag
Old 11-13-2004, 12:07 AM   #13
Typo Queen

Okay, I'm being persnickety, but "...the fact that you can turn anyone into a magic user by using the dress sphere system."

And this:

"The magic system of FF1 was about the worst thing ever, so no harm done there. But fighting the Ghost Train? That's an AWFUL idea. That boss was only effective in FF6 because of its role in the overall story. There's nothing good accomplished by dropping it into a dungeon in FF1."

Okay okay okay, they're not really spoilers, it's just I didn't know that stuff yet and I should have put my blinders on, lol! Don't mind me, I have pneumonia and my head isn't all that clear.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:38 AM   #14
The Third Woman

Some time ago I decided that it was time for me to try out a FF-game just to see what all the fuzz was about.
I asked around and was told that FF VII was the best game of them all.
It started really interesting and I sort of liked the game. After playing a couple of hours I just couldn't go on. I *hate* the random battles. What kind of idea is that? I cant understand why I have to fight enemies when there are none around.
It must be one of the most annoying game features I have ever encountered. What do you think about it?
Old 11-24-2004, 05:46 AM   #15

Well, it's pretty hard to enjoy the FF-series thoroughly if you hate the random battles. I think they're fun, and I like the surprise-effect of it. Of course, the amount could be drastically reduced so it would be a little MORE surprising, but I still like it.

When you can see your enemies, there's no surprise at all, and for me it's a bit less exciting. You always wonder what kind of beasts attack you when you're being attacked to, for a few seconds at least.

But I can see why people hate it.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagstrumpa
Some time ago I decided that it was time for me to try out a FF-game just to see what all the fuzz was about.
I asked around and was told that FF VII was the best game of them all.
It started really interesting and I sort of liked the game. After playing a couple of hours I just couldn't go on. I *hate* the random battles. What kind of idea is that? I cant understand why I have to fight enemies when there are none around.
It must be one of the most annoying game features I have ever encountered. What do you think about it?
I love FF, but yes, it's badly annoying.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:38 PM   #17
@_@

Send a message via ICQ to Estoy Loco

Hmm.. I don't think I ever questioned why there were random battles myself, I just kind of accepted them.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:54 PM   #18
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I loved FFX-2, the game was pure fun from the beginning to the end. I loved those outfits! Eventually I will play through the game again to get 100% complete.

I bought FF: Origins for PSX, played it for 5 hours, and haven't touched it since, so I am not even considering getting Dawn of Souls.

The next Square Enix games I am looking forward to are Dragon Warrior VIII and Kingdom Hearts 2.

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'
Old 12-01-2004, 01:59 AM   #19
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

The new Dragon Quest game has random battles as well, I'm surprised Square-Enix are including it after all the criticism and the evolution of RPGs over the years. Then again, this is Square-Enix we're talking about here.

Still, am I wrong in assuming that FFXII won't have random fights? I thought I read that somewhere.

(Also, FFVIII is my favourite in the series. Ho ho.)
Old 08-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #20
capsized.

Say, is it true that the ending sequence of FF III/VI lasts for about half an hour? Damn, those catchy tunes...