You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General How many of you play ONLY AG's? (or only one genre of games)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
Gaming Art Historian

Default How many of you play ONLY AG's? (or only one genre of games)

So I'm kind of curious...

I used to play lots and lots of games, all kinds of games of all kinds of genre... I didn't care what kind of game it was as long as it was a video game I'd get my hands on it and play it (granted it was a good game, of course). Needless to say, alot of my youthful years were wasted away on playing video games... and I look back now with a bit of regret and shame.

I've now grown out of the gaming phase, sort of... adventure games are the only kind of games I still cling onto simply because of the nostalgia it brings me and the great stories and puzzles. Most importantly of all though, it's simply because my lifestyle just doesn't allow much time for gaming. The little time I do have I dedicate to AG's, and sometimes adventure-related games (such as Psychonauts... heck, maybe even Guild Wars... actually thinking about picking that one up, lol). The point is, I'm extremely selective about buying and playing games these days... to the point where I buy a new game maybe every 3-5 months.

Now I'm wondering how many of you are in the same boat? Either you choose to just stick to one genre (it doesn't have to be AG), or you simply don't have much time for gaming (like me). I used to feel like I'm missing out on alot of great games, but as time went by it didn't seem to matter to me that much anymore. To me, missing out on a game is just like missing out on a movie... or a TV show, etc etc. Geez, I hope this isn't a sign that I'm getting old...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
Fat Green Sumo

Send a message via AIM to Falko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishale
Geez, I hope this isn't a sign that I'm getting old...
Yeah, me too.

I play all kinds of stuff, but I'm most affectionate to AGs. The less time I have, the more I tend towards racing games or some brainless action thing on console. But when I really want to spend more than 30 minutes playing I decide to continue my current adventure.

Due to these time constraints I have come to love games that are short and sweet. I've never finished any Final Fantasy with its 40+ hours of "work" you have to invest.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:40 AM   #3

You more or less described men Mishale; the only non-AG games I've played in the last 2 years are Deus Ex, Anachronox, and Beyond Good and Evil, all of which were bought and lend to me by a friend. And I've played America's Army for a while, too...
In the same time, I've probably played or replayed 20 AGs.

There are some non-AG out there which are kind of tempting (like KOTOR or Guild Wars), but I really don't have the time to play them anymore, especially now that my girlfriend is staying at my place. AGs, on the other hand, are perfect: short, and girlish. (wait, did I just say that? )

EDIT: If you move your post again, I'll have to resort to .
Old 05-13-2005, 01:48 AM   #4
Gaming Art Historian

ack, sorry Ninth... didn't realize I posted in the wrong forum. Guess I got to it too late Sorry for the inconvenience!

I find the reasons above to be the main reason I play AG's as well, sometimes you just need that short and sweet fix and AG's (granted you have some self-control) can be nice because you can basically save the game at any given time. I'm finding some remakes of old classics to be very tempting (Phantasy Star series remake) but I'm kind of torn... because I know I played the PS series way back in the days when I had tons of time and played games all day. Now... well, now I don't know if I still have that time and I'm afraid I'll just end up like Falko with the FF series... not finishing the game(s). Perhaps I'll just have to let it go...

boy it sucks to be old, lol
Old 05-13-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
pain is love

Well, I never played only AGs, I tried to play every possible genre there is, and some of them stayed with me. Currently I'm playing BG&E, The Punisher (kinda boring, but a nice no-brainer if you don't mind the violence) and Winning Eleven 8, and waiting for the weekend to play some more of that wonderful Zork the Grand Inquisitor.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 05-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #6
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishale
boy it sucks to be old, lol
I guess it does
Old 05-13-2005, 03:14 AM   #7
merely human

No it doesn't. For one thing, you're much more thoroughly justified in yourself. Age grants you particular privileges.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-13-2005, 03:33 AM   #8
gin soaked boy

Could we get a [NOT SERIOUS][/NOT SERIOUS] tag please? It seems emoticons stopped functioning.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:34 AM   #9
merely human

That's no fun.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-13-2005, 03:53 AM   #10
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
There are some non-AG out there which are kind of tempting (like KOTOR or Guild Wars), but I really don't have the time to play them anymore, especially now that my girlfriend is staying at my place. AGs, on the other hand, are perfect: short, and girlish. (wait, did I just say that? )
That is no excuse and you know it, monsieur! You are missing out on one substantial experience by choosing not to play KoTOR. You'll truly not understand my lament about adventure games today until you play KoTOR.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That is no excuse and you know it, monsieur! You are missing out on one substantial experience by choosing not to play KoTOR. You'll truly not understand my lament about adventure games today until you play KoTOR.
Actually, I'd probably would have bought it already if I had found it in the store where I buy my games. They only had KOTOR 2, though, and I understand it's not as good as the first.
Besides, I really don't have time for it, at least not until september. I haven't even had the time to finish Anachronox, and I'm very close to the end. By the way, Trep, did you play it? It's quite ugly, but incredibly stylish and full of atmosphere, side quests, interesting characters, ...
Old 05-13-2005, 08:05 AM   #12
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

I usually try to play any game that grabs my interest, I don't care about the genre... but the only genre I can't resist is the RTS.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 PM   #13
merely human

I refuse to pledge allegience to one genre and turn a blind eye to the possibilities of others for me. That said, I prefer any game that features a solid story, memorable characters, beautiful worlds to explore, and rewards for thorough exploration. This has allowed me to experience and enjoy some of the best and most gorgeous games out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Actually, I'd probably would have bought it already if I had found it in the store where I buy my games. They only had KOTOR 2, though, and I understand it's not as good as the first.
Besides, I really don't have time for it, at least not until september. I haven't even had the time to finish Anachronox, and I'm very close to the end. By the way, Trep, did you play it? It's quite ugly, but incredibly stylish and full of atmosphere, side quests, interesting characters, ...
KoTOR 2 was buggy on Xbox, evidence of LA rudely hounding Oblivion to finish it on time (the fault of the publisher). However, it retains its power as a story driven RPG with an interesting philosophical angle which questions your every decision. Do not dismiss it just because "it's not as good as the first". In some ways it surpasses KoTOR, not least of which is because of the ideology behind its tale.

When I first played the Anachronox demo a few years back I wasn't interested in RPGs at all, least of all turn based ones. I didn't have the patience for it then. I would play it today, but alas, there are too many good current and upcoming games out there. If I go back and try to play all the great games I may never catch up. I might play Anachronox, then again I might not.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-13-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #14
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I just love to play video games and have done so since I was given my very first computer - a ZX84 at the tender age of 11.
I don't care what genre they are - I will play anything if i'm in the right mood wether it is fighting, driving, strategy, role-playing, fps, adventure, puzzles - if it's fun, then I will play it!

I'm 30something now and have been playing games for most of my life - growing up and getting older hasn't changed my outlook - all games are great, just like books they transport you to a different world

Old 05-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #15
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
I will play anything if i'm in the right mood wether it is fighting, driving, strategy, role-playing, fps, adventure, puzzles - if it's fun, then I will play it!
< disguises himself as a fun video game and walks back and forth in front of Manstud >
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'll play anything that isn't a driving game, a non-cricket-related sports game, a D&D +1 RPG or a tediously designed RTS.

I'll even play bad games. But I'll only buy those in bargain sales.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #17
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
< disguises himself as a fun video game and walks back and forth in front of Manstud >

< Manstud looks at the strange looking video game quizzically - "hmm, this game looks interesting but how can play it? The joystick doesn't work?" >
Old 05-13-2005, 02:14 PM   #18
merely human

< the mysterious video game responds with glowing text: 'Pump your coin in, gamer'.....a few coins suddenly appear in the change slot >
Old 05-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #19
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
< the mysterious video game responds with glowing text: 'Pump your coin in, gamer'.....a few coins suddenly appear in the change slot >

< Manstud slips his coins into the slot and starts to play........................................ "oh wow! this is a great game!!" he shouts, but suddenly the game ends without any warning, and Manstud is left disappointed........

Old 05-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #20
merely human

< mysterious video game's screen lights up, saying: "Aw, honey, that was just the teaser demo. You know - teeeeeaser demo?" >