You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Which console should I buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default Which console should I buy?

I've decided that I'm going to buy either the PS3 or XBox 360 but I really can't decide which one to go for.
If I could afford both then there would be no problem - unfortunately my funds won't stretch that far so I have to opt for one of them

At the moment I'm really torn between them - I am (or have been) a die-hard Sony fan, as the PS1/PS2 has traditionally had the largest (and best) game catalogue.
Recently though, there have been some exceptions to the rule, in the form of Fable, Jade Empire and Kotor 2.

All my instincts are telling me to wait for the PS3 but then there is the little voice in the back of my mind chanting XBox..XBox..XBox......

Old 05-13-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
merely human

You better wait until Sony release their info on PS3. It's just a week away til E3.

That said, I personally want the 360.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You better wait until Sony release their info on PS3. It's just a week away til E3.

That said, I personally want the 360.
You read my mind, I was going to post exactly that...
Old 05-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Its a pretty easy choice for you guys who already have an XBox - obviously you're going to opt for the 360; but for the PS2 owners the choice is more difficult - although the PS2 is a great console with loads more games, the XBox has always been considered a more superior console in terms of processing power and graphics.

Oh well, I guess I can wait until the PS3 specs are released, but I can feel myself turning to the dark side a little more every day.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
merely human

Also, XBox is the leader in online console gaming. The 360 is being designed not only for hardcore gaming but for casual gaming by otherwise non-gamers, too. There will be two levels of online service, silver and gold. The silver tier is free and will let you play some classic board games (like checkers) with other online players, and game demos. The gold tier is subscription and lets you play online multiplayer, buy stuff, and lots of other things.

Of course, good games will come too, it's just a matter of time. A few well respected Japanese developers signed up, a way for MS to insert themselves more strategically into the Asian market.

This Gamespy article should give you a good idea of the 360's online amenities.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 05-13-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #6
delusions of adequacy

This should confuse you some

if you find that a bit dry. you can get the ourcolony.net 'final reward' video showing the ins and outs of the 360 including faceplate ideas. Unfortunately you can't change the ugly metallic finish DVD tray but you can at least draw attention away from it.

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 05-13-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
This should confuse you some

if you find that a bit dry. you can get the ourcolony.net 'final reward' video showing the ins and outs of the 360 including faceplate ideas. Unfortunately you can't change the ugly metallic finish DVD tray but you can at least draw attention away from it.
All this does not matter. If there are no good games for it, they might as well give us deep blue.

Firefox rules
Old 05-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
merely human

Thanks for that link, Crunchy. Alas, I am an artist, not a nerd, so I only understand some of it.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:55 PM   #9
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
All this does not matter. If there are no good games for it, they might as well give us deep blue.
Hardly an apt comparison, one is a computer designed to feign artificial intelligence the other is designed to play games.

Which is which?

The article goes to great lengths to point out that despite the large calculations that can be performed, the focus is targeted processing power. The gpu in the 360 is very drool worthy, as is the use of water cooling. One of my biggest gripes with the Xbox is the super powered fan noise. Water cooling means less fans, less noise and even better still, the cpu will shut down cores that aren't being used so that while watching a DVD for example, the unit is even quieter.

I would have liked to see more on the Altivec c+ language, wasn't there a particular developer griping about having to program in assembly to suit the in order cpu?

xbox live silver, free out of the box is amazing news (see trep's links). With the next gen xbox everyone has access to that and the pressure is there for developers to continue supporting and drawing funds from their games after the initial release.

There are plenty of sites including the MTV website with videos and lists of games already confirmed for the 360. Its going to take a lot more than another final fantasy and gta for sony to take pole position for my dollars, I also like that the technology is being explained here rather than hyped and given a code name like emotion engine. I have big hopes for the ps3 launch now that the competition is out of the bag, I didn't expect them to be this high however, it has a lot of bells and whistles to match now.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:20 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to feisar

wow.

All these announcements and stuff are exciting and everything but I wouldnt worry if you dont know what to buy, its way too early to be thinking of stuff like that. None of us can do anything but speculate about the PS3. Its not even got a release date yet. The Xbox360 was only shown off for the first time yesterday!

None of the next generation consoles have proper release dates, prices of software or full game release information yet. We dont know what the PS3 looks like or what the xbox360 is like in the flesh. We dont know about the teething problems, how well the online services will work, how they will be marketed and if the few games shown off so far are any good...
Old 05-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #11
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Hardly an apt comparison, one is a computer designed to feign artificial intelligence the other is designed to play games.

Which is which?

The article goes to great lengths to point out that despite the large calculations that can be performed, the focus is targeted processing power. The gpu in the 360 is very drool worthy, as is the use of water cooling. One of my biggest gripes with the Xbox is the super powered fan noise. Water cooling means less fans, less noise and even better still, the cpu will shut down cores that aren't being used so that while watching a DVD for example, the unit is even quieter.

I would have liked to see more on the Altivec c+ language, wasn't there a particular developer griping about having to program in assembly to suit the in order cpu?

xbox live silver, free out of the box is amazing news (see trep's links). With the next gen xbox everyone has access to that and the pressure is there for developers to continue supporting and drawing funds from their games after the initial release.

There are plenty of sites including the MTV website with videos and lists of games already confirmed for the 360. Its going to take a lot more than another final fantasy and gta for sony to take pole position for my dollars, I also like that the technology is being explained here rather than hyped and given a code name like emotion engine. I have big hopes for the ps3 launch now that the competition is out of the bag, I didn't expect them to be this high however, it has a lot of bells and whistles to match now.
You totally missed my joke about deep blue I was referring to a super computer that was boring to death to play against (Unless you are Kasparov).

First of all, you are pre-judging the PS3 and you haven't even read anything about it. I highly doubt that Sony is going to release an inferior machine one year after Microsoft's launch unless they are complete morons, but that's still up to speculation. One year in techonlogy is eternity, so imagine them releasing a console that is inferior, with Microsoft having a year head start.
Microsoft's whole point of MTV was to make people freak out and diss Sony which they already did. Amazing power of marketting.

Second of all, yes the system has reached a new high, but how many developers will afford making the maximum number of vertices per polygon that it can support. According to Lanning, developers take a few years to get used to new hardware to tap into its complete potential. By then, techonology will have moved on, and multi-core CPU's will become old news.

Firefox rules
Old 05-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #12
merely human

What I'm curious to see is whether Sony will be able to match or beat what Microsoft is offering in terms of service and support, both on the level of developers and of end consumers (us). MS is promising full-and-a-half support to devs making games for the 360, and as much goodies as possible for Xbox Live for free (enticing mainstream and even casual gamers to jump in). They already have the lead in online services, a very strong community.

The Japanese haven't exactly been angels in how they treat developers, which may be telling of their confidence level as current global leaders in the console and handheld market.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:16 PM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
What I'm curious to see is whether Sony will be able to match or beat what Microsoft is offering in terms of service and support, both on the level of developers and of end consumers (us). MS is promising full-and-a-half support to devs making games for the 360, and as much goodies as possible for Xbox Live for free (enticing mainstream and even casual gamers to jump in). They already have the lead in online services, a very strong community.

The Japanese haven't exactly been angels in how they treat developers, which may be telling of their confidence level as current global leaders in the console and handheld market.
I like Microsoft's support for developers. From what I read, they are real nice and helpful to anyone who develops for the platform which is nice to see (except for dropping Psychonauts ).

What I am skeptical about is the silver package of the XBOX LIVE. It is "free" but a big fat loaded free. If you want to buy levels, customize cars, add a character or something, it will cost you. Granted it is a small fee, but if you are hardcore, it can add up I kinda see it as a sneeky way to do modding on a console for cache?
I am more pro fan modding/companies doing mods for free. Like Valve for example is giving a whole level to Half life 2 fans for free and you can download it on Steam. I hope XBOX LIVE will follow the same example, and not get greedy.

Firefox rules
Old 05-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I like Microsoft's support for developers. From what I read, they are real nice and helpful to anyone who develops for the platform which is nice to see (except for dropping Psychonauts ).

What I am skeptical about is the silver package of the XBOX LIVE. It is "free" but a big fat loaded free. If you want to buy levels, customize cars, add a character or something, it will cost you. Granted it is a small fee, but if you are hardcore, it can add up I kinda see it as a sneeky way to do modding on a console for cache?

I am more pro fan modding/companies doing mods for free. Like Valve for example is giving a whole level to Half life 2 fans for free and you can download it on Steam. I hope XBOX LIVE will follow the same example, and not get greedy.
MS look to be focusing a great deal on their service amenities that come with the 360. I think it would be really be great if they supported modding, things like sponsoring contests for amateurs. But that would mean re-funnelling those mods into downloadable content for the 360 for gamers to play, which would still be fine. It would re-generate interest in the 360 and a special audience that appreciates each other's mods. But let's see what they come up with.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:48 PM   #15
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
MS look to be focusing a great deal on their service amenities that come with the 360. I think it would be really be great if they supported modding, things like sponsoring contests for amateurs. But that would mean re-funnelling those mods into downloadable content for the 360 for gamers to play, which would still be fine. It would re-generate interest in the 360 and a special audience that appreciates each other's mods. But let's see what they come up with.
I'm all for that. Imagine playing Jade Empire in the star wars universe

Firefox rules
Old 05-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #16
merely human

It's way too early, though. But it would definitely be in MS's best interest if they supported and encouraged a mod community for the 360. Still, that's a very big undertaking for them, you have to understand, and they won't do it unless it generates a huge return on their investment.