You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Did anyone get the PC version of Psychonauts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 07:01 AM   #21
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Just give me the pc version already...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #22
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

Release date pushed back to the 26th on both sites.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111
Release date pushed back to the 26th on both sites.
That could be a good thing. Last time I called EBGames they told me the date was pushed back until the 27th. If it's now the 26th, it might actually be a concrete date for a change.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #24
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDread
That could be a good thing. Last time I called EBGames they told me the date was pushed back until the 27th. If it's now the 26th, it might actually be a concrete date for a change.
Yeah that sounds like a week from the release of the XBOX version so hopefully they will be sticking to it.

Firefox rules
Old 04-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #25
Burning

I find this ridiculous, anyway, does anyone know if the Doublefine store shipped the PC Version before they all left for vacations?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #26
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Yeah that sounds like a week from the release of the XBOX version so hopefully they will be sticking to it.
If that's what they're doing, it doesn't make any sense to screw over the people who pre-ordered the PC version. It's not like we're going fall for some lame plan like that and change our mind and cancel the pre-order just so we can get the XBOX version and have it a week or so earlier. They must think we're stupid.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #27
merely human

Just to remind you all who are getting the PC version, make sure you have a good gamepad. It really does make a world of difference.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #28
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
If that's what they're doing, it doesn't make any sense to screw over the people who pre-ordered the PC version. It's not like we're going fall for some lame plan like that and change our mind and cancel the pre-order just so we can get the XBOX version and have it a week or so earlier. They must think we're stupid.
It will work on a lot of die-hard fans
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_g
i pre-order the PC version and did'nt get it becuase of the delay so i cancled and got the x-box version the day it came out, i was told the PC version was going to be coming at the end of the month.
If I had an XBOX at home, I would have bought the XBOX version. Seeing that the XBOX is in my girl friend's living room, I rented it.

Firefox rules
Old 04-25-2005, 02:32 PM   #29
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
It will work on a lot of die-hard fans
Well, I suppose. But I'm actually pretty patient if it means I'm going to save $20. So it won't work on me.

Also, I don't have an XBOX anymore. I had traded it in to buy games for my new laptop.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #30
merely human

Well, it does look fantastic on the Xbox. Because the textures and models are simple and the graphics not so cutting edge, there's really very little difference between it and the PC version (unless you're a severe graphics whore and demand such). Much of the focus is on the rich, enveloping gameworld and the gameplay.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-25-2005, 02:44 PM   #31
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4
Well, I suppose. But I'm actually pretty patient if it means I'm going to save $20. So it won't work on me.

Also, I don't have an XBOX anymore. I had traded it in to buy games for my new laptop.
Check this out:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04...s_6122876.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
Midway's out-of-this-world FPS crashlands on the Xbox, PS2; PC version maskes contact with store shelves May 23.

Area 51 is rated M for Mature and retails for $49.99. The PC version will have a SRP of $29.99.
This is really common practice these days. PC versions are much less expensive, so if you drop them in the same day as their console counterparts, you can potentially lose lots of money in sales. Whoever is going to buy and has a good enough PC will be lured by the price difference. But what really gets to me is that they announce it being released on the 19th, and they don't tell anybody that it's being delayed, the game stores have no clue what's happening.

Firefox rules
Old 04-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #32

Just received word from EBgames that they've shipped my Psychonauts!!!

I was worried they were going to wait until my credit card expires next month and then bounce the payment, leaving me completely psychonaut-less. Of course I'm going to have to wait till I get home at the end of may before I can actually play it as that's where it will be shipping. The anticipation may develop lethal qualities.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #33
merely human

Awesome, Ninsie Dodsie!!! Make sure you have a gamepad, lots of platforming headed your way.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #34
Jack Bauer loves you

Quote:
Check this out:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04...s_6122876.html

This is really common practice these days. PC versions are much less expensive, so if you drop them in the same day as their console counterparts, you can potentially lose lots of money in sales. Whoever is going to buy and has a good enough PC will be lured by the price difference. But what really gets to me is that they announce it being released on the 19th, and they don't tell anybody that it's being delayed, the game stores have no clue what's happening.
That's the problem I have. We were told that the XBOX and the PC versions were going to be released/shipped/whatver on the same day. I can understand the general reason behind withholding a PC release for a few weeks or months, as long as the company's being upfront that there is a delay. In the case of Psychonauts, what's so wrong with fulfilling the existing PC pre-orders, and letting the undecided/compulsive people snag the XBOX version if they want it so quick?

And don't think I didn't notice that everybody on the Double Fine announcements page is holding an XBOX version of the game. Not very subtle. Very tricksy of them...
Old 04-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #35
Super Moderator

I think another reason they held off fully releasing the PC version was to fix the lack-of-SSE-processor bug that was discovered when they released the demo.
A patch for that was released on the 21st April, but it would make sense to make a new master disc for future production runs.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #36
Burning

Now, when GameStop politely informed me that the shipping date is pushed to 27th, I happily and sadly cancelled my order that I placed on the 26th of February. I will definitely play this game, but it seems that the whole purpose of placing the pre-order, receiving the game as soon as possible is already gone. It's already more than a week since the release and now for me, few more weeks do not matter much I will wait for the used copies to show up on ebay, and get one from there. Thanks Majesco and Doublefine!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:31 AM   #37
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I still believe that this is mostly Majesco's decision, not so much Doublefine's.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #38

This is unbelievable!! And tomorrow GameStop will say that the game will ship on the 28th and on the 28th it'll say the 29th... WHEN DOES IT END???!!! I've got a new name for the game: Psychonauts: The Neverending Shipping Story.

But I guess I'm lucky, 'cause I've got the Psychonauts t-shirt, though I don't have the game.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! ME WANT GAME NOW!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 11:49 AM   #39
merely human

Believe me, it's worth the wait.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #40

sweet