You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Shenmue Online for Pc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 06:25 AM   #1
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig
Default Shenmue Online for Pc

http://pc.ign.com/articles/535/535405p1.html

According to this IGN news article, Sega is working on an online version of the RPG Shenmue, and will be releasing the game on the PC. According to IGN the game will feature "virtual recreations of areas from 1980s Hong Kong and China and promises to allow tens of thousands of players to assume the role of militants, using martial arts, Chinese weapons and other powers in real-time fighting sequences". Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki is supervising the project, which is being developed at South Korean online developer JC Entertainment. A Korean beta test will start later this year, with the game expected to be launched there and in China early 2005. It's not known when or if the game will be released in North America. Shenmue was originally conceived as a sixteen chapter single player experience (with only two games released so far) so this is certainly an unexpected project.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
After 2 years...

when i read the title I was

WHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHATWHAT...WHAT?

then i thought...
oh no...just another MMORG...

then...
maybe it will have a perfect story, the continue of shenmue...

now i am semi-happy...

always wanted to taste those 2 wonderful games, will this give us what we need? :eek:
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 08-03-2004, 12:15 PM   #3
The Reggienator

Well, at least the project is lead by Yu Suzuki, so I guess we will get something more than just your usual MMORPG.

And I guess those limitations that the Dreamcast had will be gone now, like the fact that npc characters disappeared at a certain distance from the player.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:56 AM   #4
Part time writer for hire

Send a message via AIM to redhotray Send a message via MSN to redhotray Send a message via Yahoo to redhotray

BRING. IT. ON!!!!!!!

Cannot wait for this.

This is GREAT news.

My (not so well designed) bowling website, complete with pictures from our golden pin victory!

C'MON!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 03:06 AM   #5
Mermaid Jane

If it's anywhere near the system of "Sims Online" I'll kill them.

Why the need to have a credit card for a FREE trial, oh God, WHY??
Old 09-06-2004, 07:47 AM   #6
The Reggienator

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault...mueonline.html

Old 09-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
I needed a dare

IIRC it takes place during Shenmue II but i haven't been following this. What a waste of time and money, just release Shenmue III sega!
Old 09-06-2004, 09:30 PM   #8
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop
IIRC it takes place during Shenmue II but i haven't been following this. What a waste of time and money, just release Shenmue III sega!
Actually it smacks of a grab for money rather than a waste of it. After poor worldwide sales of the Shenmue series so far it would be a bigger waste of money to produce an equally big budget Shenmue 3 and hope things turn around 'this time'.

Korea is the land of milking money from customers via mmorpg. If your mmorpg takes off there you're set for life. Hopefully this shameless name tagging will net the designers enough dosh to safely produce another big budget single player Shenmue. If you're hoping for some continuation of the Shenmue story in the online game the most thats been confirmed is possible sightings of support cast members. I guess it would be kind of hard to have a far off mountain village complete with cute voiced mystical girlfriend for every player that logs in...
Old 09-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
guybrush_guy

does anyone know of a PC port of the first 2, i had it for dreamcast but i gave my DC away to my best friend, i never played it (only had 3 games..shenmu, stupid invaders and alone in the dark)

Old 09-07-2004, 02:17 AM   #10
The Reggienator

There is no pc port, and there will never be one.

Shenmue 1 was exclusive Dreamcast game

And Shenmue 2 was first exclusive for Dreamcast, then Sega fecked up and Dreamcast ended, then they released Shenmue 2 to Xbox.

Old 09-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #11
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Actually it smacks of a grab for money rather than a waste of it. After poor worldwide sales of the Shenmue series so far it would be a bigger waste of money to produce an equally big budget Shenmue 3 and hope things turn around 'this time'.

Korea is the land of milking money from customers via mmorpg. If your mmorpg takes off there you're set for life. Hopefully this shameless name tagging will net the designers enough dosh to safely produce another big budget single player Shenmue. If you're hoping for some continuation of the Shenmue story in the online game the most thats been confirmed is possible sightings of support cast members. I guess it would be kind of hard to have a far off mountain village complete with cute voiced mystical girlfriend for every player that logs in...
why not at least also work on a small budget shenmue 3?...the core audience for the series would buy it even if the ambition is scaled back a bit...at this point no outsider who has yet to play the first two in the series will probably want to give it a shot anyway...so just make a small budget shenmue 3 for those of us who dont want ryo hazuki to die stranded in the middle of nowhere...shenmue online has a chance at succeeding but i dont see it happening...i see it not as rejuvenating the series but driving that final nail in but i cant be short-sighted enough to merely dismiss its chances...seriously though, how many gamers out there are like me and feel the urge for some good ol' virtual crate carrying?
Old 11-04-2005, 04:37 AM   #12
The Reggienator

I think everyone knows that this project was reported as cancelled.

Well guess what, Yu Suzuki told in a recent interview that Shenmue Online was never cancelled. "reports of a halt in development are completely unfounded. We have daily meetings and are currently working hard on the game's development. Rest assured."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/663/663899p1.html

And the game is set to be released in early 2006 for PC!

Old 11-19-2005, 07:33 AM   #13

shenmue 3 for next-gen?

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200508/141_p1.asp

i'll believe it when i see it.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
The Reggienator

That's pretty OLD news, you know?

Old 11-19-2005, 03:45 PM   #15
Banned User

Shenmue blows.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:33 PM   #16
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Yes! Now I can buy coin machine toys...with other people!

But I do love Shenmue. Even though it's somewhat...pointless at times.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing