You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Gamecube on its last legs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Epinionated.

Default Gamecube on its last legs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4319364.stm

Didn't exactly last too long... it's been dying for at least a year and a half. Great games, but hardly anything being released.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #2
merely human

D'you think that, as a corporation, Nintendo is too conservative and is adverse at taking risks?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Epinionated.

No.

I just think they developed into being crap at drumming up third-party support and keeping it, plus they have a haphazard attitude to releases and the amount of titles for their platforms. I hear they're very restrictive.

Although I admire their commitment to quality and innovation completely, having, what, two games released that are worth buying per year is a wierd strategy. The Gamecube is dying because they cut their support for it a long time ago - and gamers know this.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
merely human

That's my main compaint about them. They suck at being more open to different kinds of developers, they're inconsistent with maintaining a steady stream of new titles (not just sequels and franchises, but REALLY new concepts), and they have a cavalier, standoffish attitude about games and gaming culture and how to address them.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
SamNMax

Speaking of Nintendo, GBA Micro = Stupidest thing ever.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
D'you think that, as a corporation, Nintendo is too conservative and is adverse at taking risks?
Revolution controller? DS? How were these not risks?

I agree that their third-party support has been lacking, though, and I think that this, combined with their innovation, could help them to do much better this time round.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
merely human

They need a lot of help in their marketing and PR, imo.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #8
SamNMax

Agreed.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #9
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
That's my main compaint about them. They suck at being more open to different kinds of developers, they're inconsistent with maintaining a steady stream of new titles (not just sequels and franchises, but REALLY new concepts), and they have a cavalier, standoffish attitude about games and gaming culture and how to address them.
Heh...
Maybe you missed it in another thread.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
But still it sells hellish amounts everywhere where it's it's released.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:49 PM   #11
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

The Gamecube still has the new Zelda. That's all the legs they need.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 10-07-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
Epinionated.

If that was the case, more people would have Gamecubes.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #13
merely human

I never did warm up to the Cube's design. To me it just looked too....dorky.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
gin soaked boy

I can see what you mean.

However, PCs aren't much better either.

I like dorky. Cool has never been a part of gaming culture and that's what so beautiful about it - you can be childish. Well, not so since teenage boys with raging hormones and l33t powergamers took over.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #15
merely human

My prefered idea of childish is different from all that.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:43 PM   #16
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Why are you telling lies!? What did I tell you about lying to our friends?!? God. If you can't stop this I'm going to have to leave you.

Seriously. I mean, holy shit. Owned.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 10-08-2005, 06:26 AM   #17

Quote:
30,000+ were sold in Japan last week

Quote:
They need a lot of help in their marketing and PR, imo.
Nintendo's problem in the console side of gaming stems from their desire to protect their profits, as a result they ended up souring relations with many third-party DEVs, and when they decided to go with Carts in the N64 era, many of those DEVs decided to jump over to Sony as a result the N64 saw some great games but only some, while the PS1 got a ton of games.

Then in the GCN era, although they've fixed up many of their relations with third parties, they had the downside of remaining offline, now in terms of profits this was the right thing to do, but in terms of marketshare they've hurt themselves, because third parties wanted to do online games and nintendo didn't.

Basically their low marketshare has been due to third party support, nintendo can continue to support their consoles, but without strong third party support you get only a few good games a year.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:36 AM   #18
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

What makes it worse is the fact that even if a third party game is released for the Gamecube, they won't bother to put it on the shelves to have more space for PS2 games...

I've been looking for quite a few games that have been released on Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox, and I usually buy them in for those formats, in that orders of preference unless the difference is quite noticable from one to another, but...

Most game stores and stores with game sections have HUGE PS2 sections and micro sections for the rest...

The local Media Markt is a good example, it has FOUR aisles of PS2 games, two for PC and ONE THIRD EACH for the rest!

Which reminds me...

This is quite off-topic but I just realized something...

When the Xbox 360 is out, they'll have to make room for it by removing from another section, and then again for the PS3 and AGAIN for the Revolution!

Oh, dear...
Old 10-08-2005, 06:40 AM   #19
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_Tyagi
30,000+ were sold in Japan last week
So? They'll buy anything quirky.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:42 AM   #20
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

It has also sold huge amounts in US.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.