You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Stupid EBgames and Gamestop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Stupid EBgames and Gamestop

I just heard that if I cancel my xbox360 preorder with ebgames, that i'll only get $250 of the $300 back. Does anyone know about this? I don't see how it's legal since they don't let you know about it when you preorder. It's not even written on the recipt.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
merely human

I've never pre-ordered a console or game from any store. Did you pre-order in person at the store, or online or by phone? If you did it in person, did the sales associate give you any warning, like what would happen if you cancel your order? Did they make you sign any agreement beforehand? If so did you read the fine print?

If I ever decided to do something like that I would always ask for some kind legal writing of everything. Otherwise I would never put any money down.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
SamNMax

I don't remember the last time I bought a game without pre-ordering it.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
More slaw!!!

That certainly doesn't sound legal; and if it is, it's certainly not ethical. EB, however, is guilty of many unethical business practices, in my opinion. But you say you 'heard' this will happen if you cancel your order, is this the official word from EB? It may just be a rumour.

Last edited by Toefur; 11-19-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
merely human

tempsie, basically, next time you think of pre-ordering anything, ask for all the info in writing first and read it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-20-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Banned User

I didn't think I had to, I figured it would either be on the back of the receipt or they would tell me. Anyway, I think it's false. I'm pretty sure my friend just got ripped off.