You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Big Talk - MS CEO says Xbox Next will beat out PS3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Typo Queen

Default Big Talk - MS CEO says Xbox Next will beat out PS3

Well, I'm certainly not saying it's impossible, but it would be impressive for Microsoft to beat out Sony in its 2nd generation, when Sony will be in its 3rd and been making quite a lot more games, and for a longer time.

Ballmer: "We can take Sony in the next generation"

Speaking to reporters after Tuesday's Microsoft Partner Conference, the Microsoft CEO predicted victory in the next-gen console war.
Yesterday, Microsoft Corp. closed out its five-day Worldwide Partner Conference in Toronto with a presentation by CEO Steve Ballmer. The topics covered had little to do with his company’s Xbox initiative, but speaking with CNET News.com reporters after his speech, he addressed the console--and its future prospects.

Commenting on both the company’s successful entry into the software-based business sector and the inroads made into IBM’s turf, Ballmer turned the conversation into an opportunity to blast the competition in the game sector. In a style worthy of an Xbox Live trash-talking tirade, he took it directly to Sony.

“Look at what we have done with Xbox,” Ballmer told News.com. “We may still be losing money, but we have gone from nowhere to a significant player with a whole different approach. We've generated something brand-new.”

His outlook for future success included a prediction that the Xbox Next would supersede the PlayStation 3 as the world's top gaming console. “I bet we can take Sony next generation. I am betting we can take Sony in the next generation,” Ballmer said with apparent conviction.

GameSpot
Old 07-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLight
Well, I'm certainly not saying it's impossible, but it would be impressive for Microsoft to beat out Sony in its 2nd generation, when Sony will be in its 3rd and been making quite a lot more games, and for a longer time.

Ballmer: "We can take Sony in the next generation"

Speaking to reporters after Tuesday's Microsoft Partner Conference, the Microsoft CEO predicted victory in the next-gen console war.
Yesterday, Microsoft Corp. closed out its five-day Worldwide Partner Conference in Toronto with a presentation by CEO Steve Ballmer. The topics covered had little to do with his company’s Xbox initiative, but speaking with CNET News.com reporters after his speech, he addressed the console--and its future prospects.

Commenting on both the company’s successful entry into the software-based business sector and the inroads made into IBM’s turf, Ballmer turned the conversation into an opportunity to blast the competition in the game sector. In a style worthy of an Xbox Live trash-talking tirade, he took it directly to Sony.

“Look at what we have done with Xbox,” Ballmer told News.com. “We may still be losing money, but we have gone from nowhere to a significant player with a whole different approach. We've generated something brand-new.”

His outlook for future success included a prediction that the Xbox Next would supersede the PlayStation 3 as the world's top gaming console. “I bet we can take Sony next generation. I am betting we can take Sony in the next generation,” Ballmer said with apparent conviction.

GameSpot
i have to say it may do but then again it may not depends on people platform genra ps to xbox myself prefer my ps's never gonna give erm up

Marise-Chiko
Old 07-14-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
merely human

Wanna know what I think? I think these morons should invest at least some of their money into developing monitor screens superfine enough to show off those gorgeous graphics these newfangled consoles are supposed to be pimping. What good is the PS3 and the Xbox 2 if all that visual goodness is wasted on a crappy low res t.v.? It's like these phone companies claiming to have crystal clear sound. Honey, the sound is only as clear as that tiny, tiny A.M. frequency speaker in the stupid phone can ever get it!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-15-2004, 12:53 AM   #4
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowLight
When the PSX was released, Nintendo & Sega brought out "3rd generation" consoles and were trounced. Although I think Sony has everyone convinced that they're invincible at the moment, and Microsoft are going to have a tough job tangling with backwards compatability and the Sony marketing department.

And Trep, HDTV and 5.1 systems are becoming all the more common in America, I believe (Although I'm not sure the former exists over here in the UK ). It's up to the consumer; if they want their money's worth then they better reach deep into those pockets.

Last edited by scabb; 07-15-2004 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:01 AM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Yeah but for example in Finland HDTV is does not exist.

I've heard that in Helsinki some channel has started to test it.

But for the "whole" Europe it will take 5-10 years before HDTV or it's successors will replace the old PAL 50hz systems.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:29 AM   #6
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabb
And Trep, HDTV and 5.1 systems are becoming all the more common in America, I believe (Although I'm not sure the former exists over here in the UK ). It's up to the consumer; if they want their money's worth then they better reach deep into those pockets.
HDTV, while getting more popular in the states, still isn't in widespread use on television stations. However, people are buying HDTV sets like mad, so they don't have any problem with displaying graphics. (A friend of mine did try to play Vice City on a tiny portable screen, though, and it was probably the worst-looking thing I've ever seen.)
Old 07-15-2004, 10:03 AM   #7
Sierra Fanatic

I'm sorry, but I could never buy an XBOX system. Microsoft already has my PC. Also, I find the XBox controller to be completely stupid. Yes, even the new controller.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #8
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

it's really dumb for microsoft to even make an x-box 2....shit-box has gotten the worst sales especially in japan....beat sony...ha! yea and im a woman...
Old 07-15-2004, 12:30 PM   #9
guybrush_guy

i realy dont think they can outmarket the PS3, it's all in the name. when i hear PS3 i think "console" when i hear X-box i hear "computer/laptop/thinkpad/PDA"

Old 07-15-2004, 01:46 PM   #10
merely human

These pissing matches are hilarious, aren't they?

Sony: "My console is bigger than your console."

MS: "Oh yeah? Well, my console is better than your console."

Sony: "Liar. My console is more cool than your console."

MS: "Whatever. My console is more powerful than --"

Dad: "WTF!!! Didn't I tell you kids to come in for dinner already?!!!"
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-15-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

Rhetoric aside, an exec wouldn't last long by saying things like "the competition will continue to hand us our butts".
Old 07-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #12
Typo Queen

LOL you have a point, Jackal.

And as far as the controllers go, Playstation wins that one for me. I have small hands and it's the only one I can hold comfortably. I played a friend's N64 once and I was struggling to hold onto the controller and reach the trigger and all the buttons. Bleah.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #13
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Let's not forget, this is Steve Ballmer we're talking about here. He definitely knows how to be overenthused about things. He would, in fact, be the king of Overenthusia, were such a place to exist.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-16-2004, 01:21 AM   #14
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

rite ok my view on comtrollers.

ranking

1} Master system wins all round im afaid you see it was small ans compact ok so it was a rectangle it was the best
2} Playstation more precisly psx original controller this took time to get use to but it was brill
3}ps1 and ps2 controllers (basically analogue) these were also good but again they took time getting used to joystick but i was bought up on the big one handled red joystick with translucent base

Crap controllers

1} has to be n64 and x-box drawn im sorry but they were i felt take ofs of the sony controller and basically crap.
2} well im gonna stick for this i no but im sorry sega Saturn the little curved bits got on my nerves which i think was y the psx controller worked.

thats what i think. as for consol design i think the x-box was good but the ps2 was better, i no people think it was blocky but the lines showed like a new dimension, i think it went overboard with the colours tho black was best lol. as for the cube one well that was just pants

Marise-Chiko
Old 07-16-2004, 01:44 AM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to Patvs

Microsoft should invest more in (Xbox exclusive) GAMES.

Who cares if their next generation console is bigger, better, and faster, with prettier graphics than the competition and is lauched before Sony's PS3, if the games on the Xbox platform suck! (especially for adventure fans)

Give Yu Suzuki $50 million to have Shenmue 3 ready as a launch title, and give a shitload of money to Square/Enix to develop something, and I'd consider buying an Xbox 2.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:39 AM   #16
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
These pissing matches are hilarious, aren't they?

Sony: "My console is bigger than your console."

MS: "Oh yeah? Well, my console is better than your console."

Sony: "Liar. My console is more cool than your console."

MS: "Whatever. My console is more powerful than --"

Dad: "WTF!!! Didn't I tell you kids to come in for dinner already?!!!"
PS2 is DEFINITELY NOT bigger than the X-Box. I'd switch those first two lines around.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:53 PM   #17
peb
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvs
Give Yu Suzuki $50 million to have Shenmue 3 ready as a launch title, and give a shitload of money to Square/Enix to develop something, and I'd consider buying an Xbox 2.
As well as reverse the regrettable decision of not funding Psychonauts.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:56 AM   #18
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Let's not forget, this is Steve Ballmer we're talking about here.
Holy shit. Holy shit. I clicked that first link and ... holy shit. It's hard to come up with words to describe this. This guy is a total psycho.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:01 AM   #19
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I watched the other one. I ... I don't know what to say. I'm completely paralyzed.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:05 AM   #20
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Heh heh, Steve Ballmer is a living legend.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.