You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory movies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2004, 05:26 PM   #1

Default Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory movies

Gamershell
My initial reaction: Theeehihiiiiheeeehi

Somehow I feel this one is going to be even worse, but perhaps it's too early for speculation..
Old 07-19-2004, 01:49 AM   #2

I take it you don't like Splinter Cell?

I personally have "rediscovered" Splinter Cell on the PC. Initially, I played it on the Xbox, but for some reason I enjoyed it a lot more on the PC. Perhaps it's because of the keyboard-mouse perspective, and the fact that my PC is up for the best resolution and graphics without the slightest slowdown. Perhaps it's the fact that when I sit and play on consoles, I want to get more out of my gaming instead of just politics. Tom Clancy haven't exactly the most emotional kind of stories, and neither does Splinter Cell.The game doesn't grab me like Metal Gear Solid does with it's delicate story. SC is just to cold and uninteresting for me to sit on the couch and play it. It's really missing that little extra.

But on the PC, it's somehow okay to play. I will probably buy this one too, although I only have the first one on PC now. I'll get Pandora Tomorrown once it's gone into a salesbin.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:35 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Ok, those videos where clearly not good promotional material for this game.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:34 AM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I personally have "rediscovered" Splinter Cell on the PC. Initially, I played it on the Xbox, but for some reason I enjoyed it a lot more on the PC. Perhaps it's because of the keyboard-mouse perspective, and the fact that my PC is up for the best resolution and graphics without the slightest slowdown. Perhaps it's the fact that when I sit and play on consoles, I want to get more out of my gaming instead of just politics.
Perhaps it's just that it feels more, um..... 'intelligent', on the PC? That's how I felt it to be. The game seemed far more perfect for the PC simply because it escapes the stereotypical twitchy, less 'brainy' stigma console games usually fall prey to (and thankfully a trickle of new titles are helping to puncture that reputation). I would feel weird playing Hitman 2 on a console as well.

Just finished SP (PC, of course) again this past week, and yeah, it was fun, especially since this time my six-year-old nephew was watching and was taken with it.

Quote:
Tom Clancy haven't exactly the most emotional kind of stories, and neither does Splinter Cell.The game doesn't grab me like Metal Gear Solid does with it's delicate story. SC is just to cold and uninteresting for me to sit on the couch and play it. It's really missing that little extra.

But on the PC, it's somehow okay to play. I will probably buy this one too, although I only have the first one on PC now. I'll get Pandora Tomorrown once it's gone into a salesbin.
Tom Clancy is the Barbara Cartland for male readers, he doesn't 'do' emotional stuff and he would fook up miserably if he did. Which is a tragedy, considering it's exactly what the SP series is painfully lacking. But then again, isn't that what we guys are supposed to be spineless pussies in dealing with, and we're supposed to be playing games that only fuel our super-ass macho macho wishes?

For all its cool gadgetry, character acrobatics, and cliched political themed narratives, the Splinter Cell series lack soul and emotional resonance. I loved the game, but it left a metallic clinical taste in my mouth.

[Decides not watch SP:CT movies]
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-20-2004, 09:54 AM   #5
No justice. Only me.

I have to say that I thought the movie Hunt for Red October got fairly emotional, around the same time that Sam Neill's character got shot. But you're right, in general his work isn't very emotional at all. Which is probably why I got bored with his books so quickly. I started reading both Hunt for Red October and Clear and Present Danger, and they were extremely dull for me.

Now, I've met Tom Clancy, (actually I see him on a somewhat regular basis,) and I have to say that he's DEFINITELY not an emotional guy, and VERY eccentric. (I'd say he was downright weird, but you can't be weird if you're rich. You're "eccentric." Can you say "trophy wife?") So it's not surprising that his projects lack emotion.

And he ALWAYS wears that baseball cap. The one that he's always pictured wearing on the book jackets.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #6
merely human

Needless to say I chose to play Splinter Cell for the game, not for Tom 'Macho Man' Clancy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-20-2004, 05:28 PM   #7

I'm definitely looking forward to playing Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. I've watched some little gameplay clips on Gamespot's "Stream for free" format, and the game looks really neat. Some of the new moves he can do looks pretty neat. For example, He can use a knife to silently cut through material, and it looks like he can use it to cut enemies' throats ( the first time, I saw that on a gameplay clip, it surprised me.) The only thing that worries me is that the game is using an all-new graphics engine, so I might have to upgrade my computer when it comes out. But, other than that, I have to say that I'm excited about this game, and I hope to play it soon.

By the way, I finished playing Spliner Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and the game was definitely fun. The only problem was that the game ended too soon, and the ending seemed a little anti-climatic. Other than that, I enjoyed playing it, but I'm not sure whether I liked this one or the first game better. I plan to play it again sometime before the Christmas Season.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

Clancy's work may lack emotion, but his characters are certainly not without depth. But when you have to wade through 900 pages of techno-detail to get it, it kinda gets lost. I actually thought they tried to capture some of that in the first SC, but did it too superficially to really work.

Strange that those movie clips are so poor graphically, as they don't look even as good as the first game.