You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
Headbanger

Default Manhunt

Have anyone played this game?

From what I have read it's suppose to be a rather repelling game with its action portrayed as a snuff-game. You are suppose to videotape how you kill people and send it to a pervert who gets a kick by watching it. The murders you do are then of course really disgusting as well.

But the thing is that the game is supposed to have a message that it shows to the player in a supposedly interesting way. The perverted psychopath is really you, the player him/herself. The game is laying out the idea that the players who play action game of this kind get their kicks from doing (simulated) murders. That could be a rather nice addition to the "violence in games"-debate.

I looked at a trailer for the game at the developers (rather confusing) homepage, but I got rather disappointed. The game seemed to use its american rating as a reason for you to buy the game. How stupid is that?

I wonder if anyone have played it or know if there exists a playable demo somewhere?
Old 07-09-2004, 09:51 AM   #2
After 2 years...

Manhunt, well, there's a game that should have never been created....EVER

A horrible game with absolutely NO purpose... It’s just exist to show how someone can murder with many different weapons and objects and many different ways, bloody, bloodier, bloodiest…
Awful Awful Awful

If they were just going to create a story and give a character to the “hero” , like let’s say, a man locked into a terrible game that the only thing he can do, to set himself free, is to kill the other people , the psychological approach of it and the influence on the “hero”, a hero that shouldn’t have been just an animal.
It could have been so much more…
But …
oh well…they just wanted to sock the gamers
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 07-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
No justice. Only me.

I adore Rockstar, and think they've made some great games, (e.g. GTA, Max Payne 2, Red Dead Revolver) so I'm amazed that with their dev teams, they still turn out some real stinkers. (e.g. State of Emergency.)

Games like Manhunt and Postal (Running with Scissors, not Rockstar) seem to not really do that well commercially because of their rating and content, (especially overseas,) not extremely well critically because of their mindlessness, and really only serve to give the Liebermans of the world more ammunition against the videogame industry.

It seems to me that most of the motivation for making these games is as a jab at videogame protestors, saying "Hey, look what we can do since we're protected by the first amendment! Nya nya nya!" But do this enough times and there's going to be more backlash than the first amendment can handle.

That said, Manhunt has gotten some decent reviews, considering the mindlessness of it all. The general opinion seems to be that if you're the kind of person that appreciates a spectacle and isn't swayed by violence, you may find an enjoyable game under all of it.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
Dessert

Playing on the USB headphones is wonderful, most game sound through your TV speakers, and the guys (can't think of his name right now) voice only throught the headphones..

It's not a bad game, but i guess most people just see it as a game where you see brutal killings, but imo, an excellent stealth game too.

everyone to their own though
Old 07-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
merely human

Actually, I would want to play this game to see how it...

Quote:
...is supposed to have a message that it shows to the player in a supposedly interesting way. The perverted psychopath is really you, the player him/herself. The game is laying out the idea that the players who play action game of this kind get their kicks from doing (simulated) murders. That could be a rather nice addition to the "violence in games"-debate.
LOL, that idea sooo reeks of postmodernism. I love it, so subversive yet campy. I'm just wondering if they are actually trying to use that pseudo-intellectualist point just to churn out another mega-violent game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #6
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Manhunt is violent, maybe a bit too violent, but it's supposed to be gritty and disturbing. It's a very intense game, especially with headphones, which is why I like it. There's a level where you have to run away from a guy with a chainsaw, and you can only tell where he is by the sound of his saw.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax
Manhunt is violent, maybe a bit too violent, but it's supposed to be gritty and disturbing. It's a very intense game, especially with headphones, which is why I like it. There's a level where you have to run away from a guy with a chainsaw, and you can only tell where he is by the sound of his saw.
THAT'S eerie. I imagine that would totally freak me out if I was wearing headphones and the room was dark.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax

Holy crap, that would scare the crap out of me, but it sounds really cool. I might actually pick the game up now, PC version of course. I like just about everyone of Rockstar's games (never played state of emergency) so I don't think I would be disappointed with this one.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:35 AM   #9
After 2 years...

Come on guys, it's absolutely not scary at all... why should it be, just some freaking guys with weapons killing each other...where is the creepy thing. Oh and you can always see them on the scanner...yeee...really creepy...

For me this game is a bad ugly violent copy of Hitman... I mean, the gameplay is just the thing that it uses stealth and at the same time the player can use the shadows so easy that its like you use cheats...
They see you? Oh mine...RUN RUN RUN get into a nearby shadow...HAHAHAHA they lost you...and in 20 seconds they stop searching for you...
And one more thing...
They are 2, you get out of the shadows you kill one when the other isn't facing you, with a murderous way, you get back inside and...NO PROBLEMO...

PLEEEEEASE...if that's a game, i am the pope
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 07-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #10
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Just so everyone knows, Rockstar did not develop State of Emergency. It was developed by VIS, who isn't exactly renowned and probably only got press because Rockstar published their game.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-10-2004, 11:12 AM   #11
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
never played state of emergency
Don't.

Probably the WORST controls I've ever seen. I really am not exaggerating. I've seen bad controls before, but this one... wow.

On the plus side, it does a good job of simulating a riot.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
Don't.

Probably the WORST controls I've ever seen. I really am not exaggerating. I've seen bad controls before, but this one... wow.

On the plus side, it does a good job of simulating a riot.
Yeah, I pretty much completely agree with you. The game was much goofier than I expected, it wasn't the violent exploitation-fest the marketing led me to believe. The bad parts of the game were totally different from what I expected--namely, the controls. The game is by no means great, but it could have been at least fair bit of fun if it just played a lot more smoothly and was easier to control.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 07-10-2004, 04:49 PM   #13
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleto4_ryan
For me this game is a bad ugly violent copy of Hitman... I mean, the gameplay is just the thing that it uses stealth and at the same time the player can use the shadows so easy that its like you use cheats...
They see you? Oh mine...RUN RUN RUN get into a nearby shadow...HAHAHAHA they lost you...and in 20 seconds they stop searching for you...
And one more thing...
They are 2, you get out of the shadows you kill one when the other isn't facing you, with a murderous way, you get back inside and...NO PROBLEMO...

PLEEEEEASE...if that's a game, i am the pope
I admit it ain't a brilliant game, but I played it through. And I MUST say that it is as stealth as Splinter's Cell and especially Hitman. I mean, if you play those games as stealth (try lurking, hiding and all) it will be stealth. But Hitman had some stupid levels, and you could easily complete the game with virtually no "stealth" at all! Just shooting up everybody! So talking about the game being stupid because of the stealth part is, in my opinion, absolutely ridicolous.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 07-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
...But Hitman had some stupid levels, and you could easily complete the game with virtually no "stealth" at all! Just shooting up everybody!
If you wanted to do that. But if you wanted the top ranking of 'Silent Assassin' you had to score no kills and no guns used. This is where the game's strength shows, you could vary your strategies however you want, and of special notice, your target will move around the map, so you'll sometimes find yourself re-designing your plans. Depends on how you wanted to play it - killing everyone in sight earns you a 'Mass Murderer' ranking. Pretty pathetic for someone who's supposed to be professional.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #15
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
If you wanted to do that. But if you wanted the top ranking of 'Silent Assassin' you had to score no kills and no guns used. This is where the game's strength shows, you could vary your strategies however you want, and of special notice, your target will move around the map, so you'll sometimes find yourself re-designing your plans. Depends on how you wanted to play it - killing everyone in sight earns you a 'Mass Murderer' ranking. Pretty pathetic for someone who's supposed to be professional.
Yes, I know, but I wanted to say that there were illogical stuff considering stealth in Hitman like in any other stealth game. And I believe it wasn't that bad made in Manhunt. Sure you didn't have much room for various tactics, but it was OK.

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 07-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #16
merely human

Is it comparable to Beyond Good & Evil or is it better?
Old 07-10-2004, 05:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Old 07-10-2004, 06:32 PM   #18
Citizen of Bizarro World

Quote:
why, is stealth really badly done in BGE?
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 07-10-2004, 06:38 PM   #19
merely human

No, no. The stealth levels in BG&E were good enough. But 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja stated that Manhunt's stealth is good but not necessarily worth writing home to Mom about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
What? What?!!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #20
Citizen of Bizarro World

Hey, I REALLY liked Splinter Cell, but didn't write home to mom about it either...
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem