You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General 3d glasses in gaming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
People find it gimmicky, yet, they don't realize that everything about gaming was a gimmick. 3d will stick around. Its going to get cheaper no doubt, but for now, we have to wait for early adopters to buy into it.

A good example of a gimmick was the "3d Gaming". Back in the 90's, games looked like shit in 3d. If we called it a gimmick and gave up on it, we would never have games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Halo, Half-Life, Doom, etc.

There is no excuse to correctly use "Gimmick". Its a pathetic excuse for those who trash technological evolution.
The 3d shutter glasses are very old indeed. They came with some Sega consoles back in the eighties 1980's that is. But they didn't stick. Maybe this new hype will grow and stick, especially when now we have larger screens and higher resolutions.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #22
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax View Post
The 3d shutter glasses are very old indeed. They came with some Sega consoles back in the eighties 1980's that is. But they didn't stick. Maybe this new hype will grow and stick, especially when now we have larger screens and higher resolutions.
I had one of those for my Sega Master System. Caused terrible eye strain.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #23
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
ok, I'm not trying to pick a fight or start one those pointless "I'm right on the internets" debate. I'm just confused.
But seriously, let people "play the ignorant card" if that's what they want. I believe some of those will join the 3D bandwagon as soon as the marketing campaigns start their magic. Maybe I'll change my mind too though I seriously doubt I'll do that unless 3D support becomes so common on TVs as component video is now.
Indeed, but isn't right that the ignorance the main cause for arguments and war? Like how you quoted my sentences where I called things gimmicky, yet you didn't see how I was just creating the irony of your statements? Enough.

I definitely agree in terms of monitors finally getting to the right speed for Stutter Glasses. Back in the day, refresh rate wasn't as great as it should be, causing headaches like no other. I saw potential, but it would cause a lot of problems if it picked up during that time. Now we have polarized glasses which avoid both the dual color cardboard glass and the stutter glasses.

Hopefully next time they would make glasses that prevent scratches and take up your whole vision, preventing the black borders from obstructing your peripheral vision.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
I definitely agree in terms of monitors finally getting to the right speed for Stutter Glasses. Back in the day, refresh rate wasn't as great as it should be, causing headaches like no other. I saw potential, but it would cause a lot of problems if it picked up during that time. Now we have polarized glasses which avoid both the dual color cardboard glass and the stutter glasses.
The polarized glasses you talk about have also been around a while. The disadvantage of these are that you need two projectors, so you only see it in theatres. For use with monitors or TV's there are only the shutter glasses. The old systems - like the Sega console - worked at 25Hz for each eye. The nVidia system will work at 60Hz for each eye (120Hz in total) which is much better. The new '3D' TV's will also work on 120Hz or even 200Hz. These aren't real 3D displays because you still need shutter glasses. There are also 'real' 3D televisions - like from Philips - with which you don't need glasses.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #25

Back in the 90s , they had a PC game that came packaged with those flimsy paper red/cyan 3D specs called "Magic Carpet". They have an option for it to go "3D" as you fly around in your magic carpet.

Do anyone of you still have those old paper red/cyan specs , you can see the 3D effects for yourself. (not the avatar specs though since those used a different technology)

Avatar game in stereoscopic 3D. (will need those specs to see the "3D" effects)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frL7rKyNQIg

more flying
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxDsLwpecx4

Check out this short animated 3D movie "Pangea the neverending world" (need specs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJjJeYfAwQw

Last edited by marshal99; 01-31-2010 at 04:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #26
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax View Post
The polarized glasses you talk about have also been around a while. The disadvantage of these are that you need two projectors, so you only see it in theatres. For use with monitors or TV's there are only the shutter glasses. The old systems - like the Sega console - worked at 25Hz for each eye. The nVidia system will work at 60Hz for each eye (120Hz in total) which is much better. The new '3D' TV's will also work on 120Hz or even 200Hz. These aren't real 3D displays because you still need shutter glasses. There are also 'real' 3D televisions - like from Philips - with which you don't need glasses.
Absolutely. I've heard so much about 3d displays that don't use spectacles, but I'm really unsure of how they look.

We can also talk about 3d voxels, but how usefull would that even be for the general consumer who just wants to watch a 3d film in their living room? At least it puts us that much closer to a holodeck.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #27

Yeah, a holodeck! How cool would that be :p
Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #28

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

I thought 3d was gimmicky until I seen Avatar.. Now I am sold.