You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #1

Default Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Release Date: October 13, 2009

Development Interview:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sd...harted-2/53367

Japanese Trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...harted-2/53708

Chloe cinematic:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc...harted-2/54455

Train gameplay:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pa...harted-2/55527
Old 09-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

The only console game I am looking forward to atm, but one I won't be able to play until Christmas.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #3

Its a shame this game wont ever come to PC, but im not gonna buy a PS3 just for it

As usual the PC gets nothing when it comes to good console games crossing over, still, at least star wars unleashed is coming over to PC
Old 09-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

When I made up a list of games post 2005 which I could say compete with the true classics in the era 1995-2005 (Grim Fandango, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy VII etc), Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid 4 was the only two titles that cut it.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #5

I checked IGN the other day, and there was the review! I was like WTF?!? Of course it says the game is completely awesome, but it had me checking for prices on the game until I realized it's like 3 more weeks until the damn thing comes out

I beat Uncharted on every difficulty and got all the treasures. The last time a game was that much fun was 1999....seriously....
Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Homer of Kittens

This game is pwning left and right with a metacritic average review of 97.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...opslot;title;1

October 13th can't come fast enough.

Firefox rules
Old 10-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #7

Having a blast with this game. I've just started Chapter 7 and have succeeded in manipulating the arms of that huge statue to drain the water pool below.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #8

Alright, reporting back here. I'm at chapter 24, which I think may be the last one, not sure though.

Best game I've played of this genre in many years, well, since the first one at least. Be warned....they crank up the difficulty on this title. I'm playing through first on Normal, and it feels like halfway between Hard and Crushing mode from the first game on more than one occasion.

Having said that, the graphics are INSANE. Playing it on my 32" 720p Samsung LCD, and it looks like a million bucks. In fact everything in this game is top notch, even more so than the first title. Amazing the kind of quality you get from a company that is full of gamers, and has been making games for 15+ years (Naughty Dog).

Totally worth the $$.

Anyone else having severe trouble finding treasures? In the first game I found like 75% of them with only a little backtracking and observing. So far in U2 I've found 32 of 100 and I'm in Ch. 24! Ahh well, stuff to do in another run through
Old 10-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Psychonaut

Dammit

It's not out until tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #10

Looks like I've been out of the loop when it comes to the graphics of PS3 games. I just watched the trailer of Uncharted 2, then looked up a trailer for Final Fantasy 13, and I am mightily impressed! At the same time I'm disappointed that they don't make more animated movies in this fashion. It really makes me want to start saving up for a console.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 02-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #11

Oh, man. As ggreen737 perfectly put it in another thread, the Uncharted games seem to be the very definition of pure fun. Over the past month I've played both Drake's Fortune and Among Theives for the first time and have had such a good time. They're most definitely the best action adventures I've ever experienced with production values that cannot be rivalled by any other game in the genre. Uncharted is probably as close as you can get to the feel of the Indiana Jones movies in game form and that includes the Indiana Jones games. (Fate of Atlantis being the exception, of course. Calm down! )

Everything you could want is here: amazing action set pieces, exotic locales and lots of 'em, treasure hunting and epic stories that are as awesome as they are over-the-top. I know I compared Uncharted to Indiana Jones before, but that's not entirely true. Nathan Drake is his own man, has his own adventures and personality and is probably the kind of adventurer Indy would hate -- purely in it for the shiny treasure. He's clearly influenced by him, though. (And he's not without a moral compass too.) The voice acting by Nolan North is pretty damn exceptional, he's obviously having a good time.

It's hard to say which game I liked more. I loved how expansive the first game felt, being primarily set in one location. You got the distinct impression you could turn around and know where you were on the island and even the way back to previous areas. It flowed awesomely and was like one huge, impressively cohesive location. The sequel on the other hand has globe trotting a-plenty and what's not to love about that? You never stay in one place for too long and constantly experience all kinds of new sights and sounds. I think it just comes down to preference. Why choose when you can play them both, damn it!?!

Both games have great supporting casts too, specifically Sully and Elena in the first game and Chloe in the sequel. (Voiced by Claudia Black, just as awesome here as she was in Dragon Age. I think I might be developing a manly crush. ) These intensely likable characters contribute to making the games so damn fun. Drake's got a different dynamic with each of 'em and it's nice to have people along for the ride while you're adventuring instead of being all by yourself, like other action adventures often tend to do. They help you out in all sorts of interesting and creative ways too. The villains are good, though less developed -- but you're not playing for the villains any way.

Back to the production values, every element of the Uncharted games feels well realized and polished. Greg Edmonson's score adds so much atmosphere, just like it did in Firefly. It's so good I feel compelled to get the soundtracks on iTunes. The graphics and cutscenes are all kinds of awesome. Often I'd just stop to admire the scenery. (In fact there's a statisic function in Among Thieves that tells you how long you've been standing in one place and it's suspiciously high for me.) Little pieces of detail only contribute to immersing you, like Drake's occassional area specific comments. (Such as the hotel pool game of Marco Polo in Uncharted 2. ) The combat and exploration elements are exciting as well.

Collecting treasure along the way is surprisingly rewarding too, especially since you can use them to unlock extra features on the main menu. I particularly liked the fact you could access a huge library of beautiful concept art in both games, set out in a chronological order. I really appreciated this. They're all surprisingly loyal to the finished production too, which is all kinds of impressive. (So what? I'm a concept art fan boy, stop looking at me like that... )

I'm going to stop rambling now. I think I've subjected you to enough. Uncharted was an exceptional way to begin gaming on the Playstation 3. I know lots of people will be thinking about getting a PS3 for Heavy Rain too, if you do I most definitely recommend these games.

Last edited by D.C.; 02-16-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Noticed I unconsciously paraphrased a comment from another thread.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #12
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
Oh, man. The Uncharted games seem to be the very definition of pure fun. Over the past month I've played both Drake's Fortune and Among Theives for the first time and have had such a good time. They're most definitely the best action adventures I've ever experienced with production values that cannot be rivalled by any other game in the genre. Uncharted is probably as close as you can get to the feel of the Indiana Jones movies in game form and that includes the Indiana Jones games. (Fate of Atlantis being the exception, of course. Calm down! )

Everything you could want is here: amazing action set pieces, exotic locales and lots of 'em, treasure hunting and epic stories that are as awesome as they are over-the-top. I know I compared Uncharted to Indiana Jones before, but that's not entirely true. Nathan Drake is his own man, has his own adventures and personality and is probably the kind of adventurer Indy would hate -- purely in it for the shiny treasure. He's clearly influenced by him, though. (And he's not without a moral compass too.) The voice acting by Nolan North is pretty damn exceptional, he's obviously having a good time.

It's hard to say which game I liked more. I loved how expansive the first game felt, being primarily set in one location. You got the distinct impression you could turn around and know where you were on the island and even the way back to previous areas. It flowed awesomely and was like one huge, impressively cohesive location. The sequel on the other hand has globe trotting a-plenty and what's not to love about that? You never stay in one place for too long and constantly experience all kinds of new sights and sounds. I think it just comes down to preference. Why choose when you can play them both, damn it!?!

Both games have great supporting casts too, specifically Sully and Elena in the first game and Chloe in the sequel. (Voiced by Claudia Black, just as awesome here as she was in Dragon Age. I think I might be developing a manly crush. ) These intensely likable characters contribute to making the games so damn fun. Drake's got a different dynamic with each of 'em and it's nice to have people along for the ride while you're adventuring instead of being all by yourself, like other action adventures often tend to do. They help you out in all sorts of interesting and creative ways too. The villains are good, though less developed -- but you're not playing for the villains any way.

Back to the production values, every element of the Uncharted games feels well realized and polished. Greg Edmonson's score adds so much atmosphere, just like it did in Firefly. It's so good I feel compelled to get the soundtracks on iTunes. The graphics and cutscenes are all kinds of awesome. Often I'd just stop to admire the scenery. (In fact there's a statisic function in Among Thieves that tells you how long you've been standing in one place and it's suspiciously high for me.) Little pieces of detail only contribute to immersing you, like Drake's occassional area specific comments. (Such as the hotel pool game of Marco Polo in Uncharted 2. ) The combat and exploration elements are exciting as well.

Collecting treasure along the way is surprisingly rewarding too, especially since you can use them to unlock extra features on the main menu. I particularly liked the fact you could access a huge library of beautiful concept art in both games, set out in a chronological order. I really appreciated this. They're all surprisingly loyal to the finished production too, which is all kinds of impressive. (So what? I'm a concept art fan boy, stop looking at me like that... )

I'm going to stop rambling now. I think I've subjected you to enough. Uncharted was an exceptional way to begin gaming on the Playstation 3. I know lots of people will be thinking about getting a PS3 for Heavy Rain too, if you do I most definitely recommend these games.
Man all that great praise but you barely mention the gameplay I'm just kidding, I totally agree, Uncharted and its sequel are two very fine games.

Firefox rules
Old 02-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #13

That's true, I just figured it was a given the gameplay was good. (That or I got too lazy to finish the epic ramble. )
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #14

Now I want to play it even more.

Oh well, perhaps next year.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 02-16-2010, 03:58 AM   #15

The longer you put it off, the shorter the wait for the third instalment.