You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General 3d glasses in gaming?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Citizen of Bizarro World

Default 3d glasses in gaming?

Having seen Avatar recently, I'm really impressed by what can be achieved with this tech. As the movie progressed, my sense of immersion did falter off, but I imagined that if something like this was done entirely in first person, it would feel a lot more engaging. Do you know of any games that offer, under graphics options, the possibility of rendering a green/red split image? On the down side, I imagine this would require nearly twice the processing power with, possibly, not a significant enough payoff. Still, it'd be fun seeing someone experiment with it in the future.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Psychonaut

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Main.html

However you need a specific monitor that can do 120 Hz.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Banned User

Going to try the new technologies out at GDC in march. Can't wait to see them!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

I recently saw Avatar and loved it! The 3-D effect might well be the way of the future in gaming. It makes perfect sense to me, although I haven’t a clue how it would be done. In a small way, the beauty of some Pandora scenes actually reminded me of the Riven forest. The tree and the islands in the sky made me think of Uru. I think I heard it mentioned that Avatar is being considered for a game ... but I don't imagine it would be in 3-D.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)
Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilLives View Post
I recently saw Avatar and loved it! The 3-D effect might well be the way of the future in gaming. It makes perfect sense to me, although I haven’t a clue how it would be done. In a small way, the beauty of some Pandora scenes actually reminded me of the Riven forest. The tree and the islands in the sky made me think of Uru. I think I heard it mentioned that Avatar is being considered for a game ... but I don't imagine it would be in 3-D.
You do realize Avatar already has a game.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
Having seen Avatar recently, I'm really impressed by what can be achieved with this tech. As the movie progressed, my sense of immersion did falter off, but I imagined that if something like this was done entirely in first person, it would feel a lot more engaging. Do you know of any games that offer, under graphics options, the possibility of rendering a green/red split image? On the down side, I imagine this would require nearly twice the processing power with, possibly, not a significant enough payoff. Still, it'd be fun seeing someone experiment with it in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Indeed it has a game, and it has the option to be played in 3D, at least on the XBox360 (and likely also the other consoles and the PC), as long as you have a 3D monitor.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
delusions of adequacy

I used to have 3D goggles that plugged into the computer video card. I remember using it to play one of the Indiana Jones games that resembled tomb raider.

Yeah, here you go:

http://www.dansdata.com/vr100.htm

from back when the TNT2 range of cards was the thing to own

I'm pretty sure the indiana jones game I used them with was Infernal Machine.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #8

Quote:
No ... I had no idea! And it's been out for a year already.

I checked out the trailer. Strangely enough, maybe because I saw the movie first, it doesn't look like a game I'd want to play.

Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Old 01-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #9

Quote:

I checked out the trailer. Strangely enough, maybe because I saw the movie first, it doesn't look like a game I'd want to play.
Actually, it's a pretty fun game. Sure, it's not award material, but for a movie-based game it's actually very well done. It looks stunning, and the plot is not too bad either - not awesome, but okay. The game plays a few years before the movie, so it's not the whole plot recooked. Also, you can play as RDA or Navi, and though the basic goal is the same, they didn't just recycle the same areas for the two paths. Overall, I'd say it's really a lot of fun.

Currently playing it as RDA, after having finished the Navi part already.

-

Old 01-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #10
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

I still view 3D as a gimmick. Not planning to pay for it any time soon.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
I still view 3D as a gimmick. Not planning to pay for it any time soon.
Same here. 3D cinema is fun, but I'm happy with my TV right now.

-

Old 01-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
A year? No. It came out at roughly the same time as the film. There is another game called Avatar from last year, but it's something completely different.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
The Quiet One

Nah, I'm not into the whole '3D glasses' thing. I also find them gimmicky. The last thing I want to wear when watching a movie or playing a game is a pair of specs.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
A year? No. It came out at roughly the same time as the film. There is another game called Avatar from last year, but it's something completely different.
Thanks for clearing that up. Actually, I saw that it came out in 2009 and since this is 2010, I wrongly said a year when it is about one month … December for the game and January when I saw the movie. Did a quick search for the other Avatar game you mention but didn’t find it.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
Banned User

People find it gimmicky, yet, they don't realize that everything about gaming was a gimmick. 3d will stick around. Its going to get cheaper no doubt, but for now, we have to wait for early adopters to buy into it.

A good example of a gimmick was the "3d Gaming". Back in the 90's, games looked like shit in 3d. If we called it a gimmick and gave up on it, we would never have games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Halo, Half-Life, Doom, etc.

There is no excuse to correctly use "Gimmick". Its a pathetic excuse for those who trash technological evolution.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:23 PM   #16
Cabbage Merchant

Quote:
People find it gimmicky, yet, they don't realize that everything about gaming was a gimmick. 3d will stick around. Its going to get cheaper no doubt, but for now, we have to wait for early adopters to buy into it.

A good example of a gimmick was the "3d Gaming". Back in the 90's, games looked like shit in 3d. If we called it a gimmick and gave up on it, we would never have games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Halo, Half-Life, Doom, etc.

There is no excuse to correctly use "Gimmick". Its a pathetic excuse for those who trash technological evolution.
Or maybe is just doesn't appeal to some of us. I know, crazy!

I have nothing against technological evolution but I'm not willing to adopt every little new thing that comes along just because "it's cool". There's a lot of concepts that I would like to see in video games to make they more immersive or interesting like head tracking or better rumble for gaming chairs.

Now, buy a new equipment for improved depth perception... I'm not willing. Yet. But I'm also not saying people shouldn't. It's their money. But to me it's still a gimmick. Yeah, I just used the "g-word"
Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
Or maybe is just doesn't appeal to some of us. I know, crazy!

I have nothing against technological evolution but I'm not willing to adopt every little new thing that comes along just because "it's cool". There's a lot of concepts that I would like to see in video games to make they more immersive or interesting like head tracking or better rumble for gaming chairs.

Now, buy a new equipment for improved depth perception... I'm not willing. Yet. But I'm also not saying people shouldn't. It's their money. But to me it's still a gimmick. Yeah, I just used the "g-word"
Yet Head Tracking is truly gimmicky. It doesn't feel immersive at all, mainly because you need 3d glasses to really benefit from it. Not to mention the biggest gimmick of them all.....Rumble. Just get a decent subwoofer. Feels a lot better than a fake rumble.

Sure it may not appeal to some of you, but there is a lot of people think it just needs to die. Playing the ignorant card. There are a lot of things that don't appeal top me, but I never call it gimmicky.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #18

Quote:
People find it gimmicky, yet, they don't realize that everything about gaming was a gimmick.
I see what you mean and think techniques are secondary to the entire experience of a game. Anything can appear gimmicky if the entire package isn’t working. So 3D potentially could stealthily contribute to enhance the immersion without feeling fake.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
Cabbage Merchant

ok, I'm not trying to pick a fight or start one those pointless "I'm right on the internets" debate. I'm just confused.
Quote:
There are a lot of things that don't appeal top me, but I never call it gimmicky
Quote:
Yet Head Tracking is truly gimmicky
Quote:
Not to mention the biggest gimmick of them all.....Rumble
But seriously, let people "play the ignorant card" if that's what they want. I believe some of those will join the 3D bandwagon as soon as the marketing campaigns start their magic. Maybe I'll change my mind too though I seriously doubt I'll do that unless 3D support becomes so common on TVs as component video is now.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:48 AM   #20
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
Back to the original question: Trackmania has this option, which I haven't tried out since I don't have 3D glasses. It's there though, just grab the free version of the game and check it out.