You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Building a new PC.. windows?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie
Default Building a new PC.. windows?

Deciding wether I should get 64bit version of windows or 32bit, worried about compatability with adventure games, whats the scoop.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Junior Mint

If you are getting Windows 7, I believe all versions except the most basic version have a virtual XP mode that runs inside of Windows and lets you use older programs. (Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.) I fully plan on going W7-64, so that I can get the most out of newer games, and using the virtual XP mode when necessary. It beats the heck out of dual-booting, or, god forbid, dual-machine-having.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
Deciding wether I should get 64bit version of windows or 32bit, worried about compatability with adventure games, whats the scoop.
Not sure about adventure games per se, but in general 64 bit has more incompatibility problems than 32 bit, for the simple reason that most people use 32 bit windows at home, and most apps are build with 32 bit as their primary platform.

As far as which one to choose, it really depends on what you want to use it for. If you want to use it as a server(which I'm assuming you aren't, because you want to play adventure games on it, and it is windows ), than 64 bit machines are the way to go. But if you only want to use it for games, the internet and other casual stuff, than 32 bit is probably better for you. Also for games in general, it is all about the graphics card. I have a 2 year old machine, and it still plays pretty much anything I throw at it, because the graphics card I bought back then was top of the line.

My 2 cents

Firefox rules
Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

If you are getting 4 GB or more RAM then you have to get 64 bit Windows. 32 bit Windows won't recognize anything above 3 GB.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
If you are getting Windows 7, I believe all versions except the most basic version have a virtual XP mode that runs inside of Windows and lets you use older programs. (Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.) I fully plan on going W7-64, so that I can get the most out of newer games, and using the virtual XP mode when necessary. It beats the heck out of dual-booting, or, god forbid, dual-machine-having.
You're basically right. You need the Professional version or above - i.e. not Starter, Home Basic or Home Premium - to get Virtual XP mode (though if you have a full licence for Windows XP, you can install Virtual PC and run XP through that to get pretty much the same thing).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #6

I'm not sure where this notion has come from that 64-bit Windows has compatibility problems. I have been running 64-bit Windows since Windows XP x64 was in beta. 64-bit Windows does not have any problems with 32-bit applications, what 64-bit Windows can't run is 16-bit programs. This does not matter with DOS games, as DOSBox runs perfectly in Win7 64. 16-bit Windows only games can be run in Win 3x installed in DOSBox. If you have any older 32-bit games that won't run, it will probably won't run in Win7 32, either. The one thing that you might have a problem on Win7 64 with that you won't on Win7 32 are the 32-bit games that have a 16-bit installer. These games have to be manually installed. In short, the only games that you might have extra problems with on Win7 64 over 32-bit are a handful or less of games from a decade and a half ago, most of which can be handled with XP Mode.

64-bit is forward looking. Maybe not many games yet take advantage of the extra bit depth and the extra memory, but they will at some point. Remember, some games often are at the bleeding edge of PC technology.

As far as XP Mode goes, you can run 16-bit applications in it. As stated, it is only available on Pro and up. This is the single best reason to go Pro.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Random

Well I'm using Windows 7 x64. Until now i didn't had any incopatibility problems with it. Everything i used to run on my old XP 32b, like games softwares etc, i'm running on W7 64b. If you has an athlon x64 it's recommended to use a x64 OS in order to have a better performance. About the adventure gaming experience, I only have tested with Machinarium, Barrow Hill and The lost crown, which i'm playing right now. But i've ran games like Resident evil 5, Risen, Fallout tactics, Dragon age and Modern warfare 2 with no problem.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Called up Microsoft today told them I was a student, they asked for my .edu email address and they gave windows 7 full retail professional oem for 31.79 with tax. Score.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #9
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
Called up Microsoft today told them I was a student, they asked for my .edu email address and they gave windows 7 full retail professional oem for 31.79 with tax. Score.
Hoho, nice dude. It was your Microsoft christmass gift I guess.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
Banned User

Even though anyone can get W7 for that price at any time. Nothing special.