You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #21

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I've just played the first hour of Jade Empire (I'm about to enter the Spirit Cave) and I took my time to carefully talk to everyone and examine everything (plus, it took me a while to get used to the control system, because I'm not used to using A and D to slid right and left, but to rotate the camera).

The game instantly hooked me, and it gave me a much better feeling than KotOR 2: The Sith Lords.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
Junior Mint

I will most likely play this game with my USB game controller.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Adventure Game Researcher

Jade Empire is a WONDERFUL Game and BIoware has no way gone down from being one of the best game makers ever. I would not bother with Dragon Age, it is over vioilent and over hyped. But JE is beautiful and well worth the effort, There will be a JE II.

Andrea i think you will find it a wonderful experince if you follow that course of talking to everyone and following all the side quests as you progress. This game is unique in how it gives some great insights into a univied Oriental theme that is rarely found in western game design, plus it is a work of true art and artistry in the design and the graphics and the overall style. It is truly a masterpiece and deserves the highest praise and enjoyment.

please be sure to explore and enjoy the Academy fully before moving on from there.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs

Last edited by Christian IV; 11-09-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #24

I'm really loving Jade Empire, perhaps even more than KotOR and the fact that my male character is living a tender and loving relationship with the beautiful Sky certainly add to my enjoyment of the game, but there's, of course, more and more: the beautiful, almost Shakespearean (even if the setting is Oriental) story; the ravishing locales; the awe-inspiring atmosphere; the fascinating characters and, as I said, the possibility - tactfully depicted - to harbor a meaningful gay relationship is not a whim, but a sign of the depth and maturity of this Bioware amazing adventure.

Spoiler:
I have just seen Death's Hand murdering (at least I think) Sagacious Zu, after I defeated Inquisitor Jia. The Lotus Fortress is tumbling down and I have to escape. When Death's Hand impaled Zu, I was speechless -- somehow I really believed that Zu could make it
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #25

Glad you are seeing all the wonders and depth, it is a remarkable achievement for game design of any era and ranks imho among the finest yet made. I am glad there has been serious signs of a sequel from Bioware and I will look forward to that happening.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #26

I'm preparing for the siege of Dirge!

This game is absolutely EPIC!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #27

Andrea it gets better and better I assure you. Savour every moment. There will be surprises, wonderful ones, around every corner. Look everywhere, talk to everyone. It is a wonderment in all ways.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #28
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
I would not bother with Dragon Age, it is over vioilent and over hyped.
Excuse me? Have you actually PLAYED Dragon Age from start to finish, or even for a few hours?

Male elf Mage, currently level 13, focus on Primal and Creation spells with plans to become a Spirit Healer.

The game is also made by Bioware. The same talented team that made Jade Empire and Knights Of The Old Republic, both of which I have played. Bioware has the reputation of being arguably the very best maker of the single player RPG in the tradition of Dungeons and Dragons style role playing, with great emphasis on story and characters. You do the math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I'm preparing for the siege of Dirge!

This game is absolutely EPIC!
Andrea, if you think Jade Empire is epic, what you are experiencing is only a fraction of what you'll experience in Dragon Age, especially in terms of difficult moral decisions which will actually alter your story through your party members (something Jade Empire does not do).

In fact, Dragon Age explores even darker and more complex human dilemmas. It is, after all, a Bioware game.

I'm happy you're having a great time in Jade Empire.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 11-10-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Andrea, if you think Jade Empire is epic, what you are experiencing is only a fraction of what you'll experience in Dragon Age, especially in terms of difficult moral decisions which will actually alter your story through your party members (something Jade Empire does not do).

In fact, Dragon Age explores even darker and more complex human dilemmas. It is, after all, a Bioware game.

I'm happy you're having a great time in Jade Empire.
I can't wait to play Dragon Age, and I'm currently searching for a new, powerful machine capable to run it to the fullest. For the moment being, with Jade Empire almost finished (and I'm loving it so much that I don't want it to finish ) and Mass Effect lined up, I'm quite happy as it is. But yes, as soon as I have a new PC, Dragon Age will be my first game!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #30
Life and times of...

I like the setting of Jade Empire far more than any other rpg, even KotORs. Dragon Age is yet another "dark fantasy world" whereas Jade Empire is, well I'm not sure how it should be described but something completely different.

Not that I'm not saying Dragon Age wouldn't be good, I'm just saying the setting's not anything new.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #31
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I like the setting of Jade Empire far more than any other rpg, even KotORs. Dragon Age is yet another "dark fantasy world" whereas Jade Empire is, well I'm not sure how it should be described but something completely different.

Not that I'm not saying Dragon Age wouldn't be good, I'm just saying the setting's not anything new.
Certainly a valid point. I loved Jade Empire for its refreshing take on the Action RPG with martial arts combat combined with magic, and the exotic new world was exquisite.

However, you need to take into account that Bioware was NOT intrested in bringing a new kind of world in with Dragon Age. They had stressed that they are in some ways going back to their roots, that Dragon Age is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, and they wanted to work with the essence of classic D&D style role playing, but with touches of progression (as in the innovative tactics menu and the particularly mature and complex story themes). They were more interested in refining tradition and adapting it to today, much like a classic adventure game chooses to improve and re-define the fundamentals of the genre.

I think it's more fair to judge the game on those terms instead of dismissing it as "...yet another 'dark fantasy world'." It is a dark fantasy world.....but look closer and you'll notice it's not "yet another".

Both games are amazing, but amazing on their own terms.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 11-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #32

I am going to give Dragon Age another look, IH and will report back. I have been so snowed that i made some hasty decisions about it i think, i will try again.

and yes i agree, Bioware is one of the best of the best, i agree about that totally.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #33
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV View Post
I am going to give Dragon Age another look, IH and will report back. I have been so snowed that i made some hasty decisions about it i think, i will try again.

and yes i agree, Bioware is one of the best of the best, i agree about that totally.
Absolutely! I'm almost jealous of you 'cause you'll experience it for the first time. I'm not even halfway in the main story line and I've already clocked in over 80 hours! There's just far too much to see, do, and discover!

And I thought Jade Empire was deep!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #34

Sounds promising indeed. My main game system just meets the specs so it will be fun to really spend quality time with it.

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #35
Life and times of...

Quote:
I think it's more fair to judge the game on those terms instead of dismissing it as "...yet another 'dark fantasy world'." It is a dark fantasy world.....but look closer and you'll notice it's not "yet another".
Ah, well of course. I did in fact try to say that by using the quotations, but I did notice how it came out too much like... Well, how it came out. I indeed did not intend to downplay Dragon Age, I have yet to actually play the game so I can't really say anything about it. I was merely complimenting Jade Empire on being exquisite.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #36
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I was merely complimenting Jade Empire on being exquisite.
That's the exact word I would use too. If there's one thing I blame Bioware for it's for creating such memorable games that end up stealing hundreds of hours of my time every time. I think I played through KOTOR four times, Jade Empire at least twice, and Mass Effect three times.

LOL!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:37 AM   #37
the midnight rambler

Quote:
I think I played through KOTOR four times, Jade Empire at least twice, and Mass Effect three times.

LOL!
*spits tea all over screen* Shit, I wish I had that much time!!

Last edited by geggis; 11-14-2009 at 02:38 AM. Reason: I don't drink coffee :-s
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #38

The Hand of Time Writes
And having Writ,
Moves on,
Nor all your piety or wit
Will lure it back to cancell half a line,
Nor all your tears wash out
A Word of it

Omar Khayam

i agree Time is a harsh taskmaster, but hopefully She will give us leave to play a bit longer

KoTOR I

Mass Effect

Jade Empire

Game Patches and Aides
Patch and Fix Packs

Last edited by Christian IV; 11-14-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #39
merely human

Dragon Age: Origins

Old 11-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #40
Junior Mint

I'm finally through with The Witcher, and I think I'm going to try and play through at least KOTOR, Mass Effect, and Jade Empire (not necessarily in that order) before moving on to Dragon Age. By that time, it should probably go down in price (or, at least, go on sale at Steam ). If it hasn't yet, then I'll probably play through The Witcher again, to see all the quests (and bang all the girls) I missed the first time.

I really hated Baldur's Gate; too micromanage-y, and too demanding of the player to follow the main quest at the expense of side quests. I quit playing when two of my party members left (taking my equipment with them) because I didn't go and finish their quest fast enough for them. (Incidentally, I was smack dab in the middle of their quest when they quit. INGRATES!)

Neverwinter Nights didn't fare much better for me; there was less micromanaging than BG, but still too much of it with too little payoff (the story was crap and the characters were derivative and flat). Plus, the NPC AI was horrible; the only way I could get anywhere was to play a magic-user character and take a Melee character with me, because the magic-user NPCs would constantly burn all of their spells, and I'd be forced to rest constantly (blame AD&D rules for this crap as well). I've heard NWN 2 is better because you can control your entire party, but based on NWN 1, it's very low priority for me. Plus, apparently there's not much in the way of "loot" in either game, and that's one of my favorite aspects of RPGs.

To say I've had a rough track record with BioWare games is an understatement... but I quite enjoy what little I've played of Mass Effect.