You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Reflex Woes

Every couple of years I convince myself that I am capable of of playing something other than an adventure game . . then find myself two hours later trying to jump on the same platform over and over and over again.
After 20 tries I finally reach it and I get that sense of well being and accomplishment. . . only to realise that it has taken me an 1/2 hour to go one step and I am not even out of the training level.

Does anyone else have these woes or was I the only one who was standing behind the door when reflexes were handed out?

Any ideas for non-adventure games for the totally inept?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
kamikaze hummingbirds

You could try 'Silent Hill 2' - you can set the combat difficulty to 'very easy', and even on the other settings, it's relatively possible to run.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Strategy games, puzzle games, and role-playing games typically don't require reflexes. If you're no good at reflex-based challenges, I don't know why you'd seek out a platformer or an action game; you're not going to get much out of them. An action game on the lowest difficulty level is usually just a waste of time.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #4
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Strategy games, puzzle games, and role-playing games typically don't require reflexes.
Unless they are Real Time Strategy. In that case they are pretty much about quick thinking and speed as an action game.

I have the same problem. I use to be better at action games in general in my teen years. Now I have trouble that kind of games. You could try turn-based games or like Hammerite said, you could adjust the difficult settings to a more fitting challenge.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
Stalker of Britain

Don't feel bad-I feel the same way. I'll hear about an awesome game and want to play it, but I just can't do the action bits; like Penumbra, Psychonaughts, etc. *pats back sympathetically*
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
merely human

You suck at it probably because you almost never play games that require quick thinking and reflexes. You need to dedicate yourself to it for a while to get better, and to better appreciate the challenge.

Just as a hardcore FPS player may not be so good at difficult puzzles in an adventure game because she lacks patience and hadn't given her brain enough of workout at it, someone who plays only adventure games most likely will get her ass owned the first few times she tries her hand at an action game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 AM   #7

Yeah, I would also recommend practice... however, you can also try to look for games which are somewhat hybrid, like Dragon Age (pause menu in combat makes it almost turn based) and Fallout 3 with VATS really is essentially turn based.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #8

Just to throw another recommendation out there, start simpler. Play an older, 2D platformer, something where you can take some of the complexity out of the controller so you can work on timing.