You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Anybody else still playing NWN?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #101
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
One of the mini-boss guys I came across gave me 4 whacks for each one that I gave him, which seems a little unfair! Does it increase as you level up or do I need better equipment or something?
Both are correct. As you level up your base attack bonus goes up (chance to hit) as does your number of attacks per round. If you look in your manual at the back, it has a little chart that indicates each classes BAB and number of attacks per round depending on their level. Fighters, barbarians and paladins have better BAB and number of attacks per round than say a wizard or sorcerer.

What weapon(s) you use can also increase your number of attacks. If you equip two weapons at once or a double edged weapon like a double axe (used by the big half orc in the prison). You get an extra attack per round with the extra weapon/edge. If you're thinking of using two weapons, read about it in the manual first, there are other rules you should consider about it that relate to the statistics of your character as well as chosen feats.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #102
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk

Arcanum is still my favourite RPG for getting almost everything right (closely seconded by Torment for its gripping story & excellent characters, and Fallout bringing up the rear for its post nuke setting which is a personal favourite of mine).
Arcanum?- seriously??

Whilst it was an ok rpg with a reasonably interesting premise, I did feel that it seriously lacked behind Planescape Torment and NWN. They both had engrossing storylines, and especially with Planescape you had a character with an incredibly complex background, and this one of the main reasons that this game is such a classic
Old 12-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #103
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Arcanum?- seriously??
Arcanum mixed fantasy staples with the victorian age so beautifully , perfectly fitting them into cliques, social classes and educational colleges. The conflicting natures of arcane magic versus the 'new sciences' is grist to my mill. It made both period dramas and the fantasy setting richer (and more palatable) for me (the manual is an excellent read).

I don't tend to enjoy Arthurian inspired fantasy , which is probably why the Planescape setting and the Fallout setting also illicit such joy from me. They shake things up a little (or a lot). I enjoy the mechanics of roleplaying games, but not the knights and sorcerers that typically come along as standard.

Arcanum, Fallout and Torment still jostle for front spot in my mind, I try to play them again each year (not always successful), but they're getting a little old. My 'hope on the horizon' is Bethesda's treatment of Fallout 3 (or whatever they name it). I would be a pig in shit if they mixed a little Cthulhu love in with the post nuke setting and woke up some great old ones...
Old 12-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #104
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
Both are correct. As you level up your base attack bonus goes up (chance to hit) as does your number of attacks per round. If you look in your manual at the back, it has a little chart that indicates each classes BAB and number of attacks per round depending on their level. Fighters, barbarians and paladins have better BAB and number of attacks per round than say a wizard or sorcerer.

What weapon(s) you use can also increase your number of attacks. If you equip two weapons at once or a double edged weapon like a double axe (used by the big half orc in the prison). You get an extra attack per round with the extra weapon/edge. If you're thinking of using two weapons, read about it in the manual first, there are other rules you should consider about it that relate to the statistics of your character as well as chosen feats.
Nice one, cheers mate. I'll probably try out the two weapons, my characters a katana expert and I just found another one.

Never heard of Arcanum before, I'll have a look after I finish NWN (which may take some time!). I liked Fallout and Planescape, so if it's like those it'll be worth a shot.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 AM   #105
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Arcanum?- seriously??

Whilst it was an ok rpg with a reasonably interesting premise, I did feel that it seriously lacked behind Planescape Torment and NWN. They both had engrossing storylines, and especially with Planescape you had a character with an incredibly complex background, and this one of the main reasons that this game is such a classic

You ADORED the oc? Mh, that's perfectly fine, of course. I never thought it was anything special. Fun, but nothing special. Now the whole package that NWN is, that's indeed awesome!

Mr. Robert Lacey, fasten your chainmails, it's about time!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:13 AM   #106
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Mr. Robert Lacey, fasten your chainmails, it's about time!
*goes to generate a new character*

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #107
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
You ADORED the oc? Mh, that's perfectly fine, of course. I never thought it was anything special. Fun, but nothing special.
The thing about the OC that attracted me was the deeply engrossing storyline - all the main characters had such a complex background that was incorporated into the storyline, so you couldnt do anything but fall into this amazing story of love, betrayal, and retribution

SoU was quite enjoyable but for some reason I couldn't empathise with my character - the actions and some of the missions were quite cool, but the whole thing felt like a shallow add-on rather than a new adventure

HotU, on the other hand has a totally different feel to it - although it still doesn't have the atmosphere of the oc; the way you level up your character at the beginning of the game really helps to add to the overall atmosphere
and you do feel that you are beginning a new adventure
Old 12-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #108
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

So, anybody still up for this game over Christmas? I would love to play.

If anyone doesn't have the expansions, *please* get them. They are really worth their money (and you can get a pretty good deal if you know where to look), adding not only new adventures, but also Prestige-Classes (meaning: SHADOWDANCER!!!!!! [this one is in the first expansion, "Shadows of Undrentide"] for example), the ability to create own traps, weapons, armor, and wands, and cloaks and coats, and much more.

I hope we can arrange this soon. I would really love to play together with some other people.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:37 PM   #109
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm around... ooh... let's see...

*checks calendar*

All the time until early January. I have no life, it would appear.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:28 PM   #110
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm around... ooh... let's see...

*checks calendar*

All the time until early January. I have no life, it would appear.

Hey, I'm around all the time - let me know - I'd love to kick some ass
Old 12-14-2005, 01:03 AM   #111
Chris Barraclough

I'm gonna be going home for a week, and then I'm busy with bithdays etc (why is everyone I know born around Christmas, no wonder I'm bloody skint in January), but I'll be free the odd evening to play if you guys get it set up. My characters not very good though, she gets caned by anyone with the smallest amount of magical ability.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 12-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
I'm gonna be going home for a week, and then I'm busy with bithdays etc (why is everyone I know born around Christmas, no wonder I'm bloody skint in January), but I'll be free the odd evening to play if you guys get it set up. My characters not very good though, she gets caned by anyone with the smallest amount of magical ability.

We might actually try and start with all new characters (although I guess yours is still low level, right?). My two characters are currently Level 19/20 and Level 14. That would make the opponents too tough for your characters. Since Samsie is at the end of the main campaign, he must also be around Level 20.

And since we are going to play an evil group (we are, aren't we?), I will have to create a new character that is evil.

-

Old 12-14-2005, 08:27 AM   #113
capsized.

Who says I've only got one single character in store? And who says we have to go to some braindead hack and slash fest? BOring. I'll say: Let's meet at the Big Boar Inn and drink some beers all night! Oh, the adventure..

edit: Those expansion packs. Am I the only one who....
Old 12-14-2005, 08:28 AM   #114
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

How about we all agree to play the prologue, giving our characters a couple of levels . That way I can continue with my (evil) sorcerer...

Old 12-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #115
capsized.

Any female characters there? I've found a strip poker module.

Spoiler:
Joking!
Old 12-14-2005, 08:34 AM   #116
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Any female characters there? I've found a strip poker module.

Spoiler:
Joking!
There probably is one somewhere .

Old 12-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #117
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
There probably is one somewhere .
I wouldn't be surprised. I think I've seen a card game and there's definitely a nudity hack pack. Seen it in..... action.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 AM   #118
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised. I think I've seen a card game and there's definitely a nudity hack pack. Seen it in..... action.
[steptoe and son]Ooh, you dirty old man![/steptoe and son]

Old 12-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #119

Quote:

Nice. If you intend to use it, however, I can assure you that your character will not have eyes left to observe it (as a matter of fact, neither will you).

You'll have to be content with the undies.

PLEEEEEAAAASSEEE!!!! buy the expansions! At least "Schatten von Undernzit", for that one has the "Schattentänzer" expansion. PLEEEEEEAAASEEE!!!

Also, with you are able to let your character rise to Epic Levels (i.e. you can ris far beyond level 20 now!). PLEEEEEEAAAASEEE!!! I beg thee, Samsie. How many more cute fluffy bunnies must die, before your party has earned your condolences?! Puuuuh-leeeeeeaaaaaazzzzzeeee!!!!!!!

-

Old 12-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #120
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
PLEEEEEAAAASSEEE!!!! buy the expansions! At least "Schatten von Undernzit", for that one has the "Schattentänzer" expansion. PLEEEEEEAAASEEE!!!

Also, with you are able to let your character rise to Epic Levels (i.e. you can ris far beyond level 20 now!). PLEEEEEEAAAASEEE!!! I beg thee, Samsie. How many more cute fluffy bunnies must die, before your party has earned your condolences?! Puuuuh-leeeeeeaaaaaazzzzzeeee!!!!!!!

-
What she said. Only with far fewer Es...